White Sox vs Yankees, 6/7/07 (L)

Chisoxfn

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 08:54 PM)
Joe Crede has a career .259 batting average, .305 on base, .446 slugging, and .750 OPS. Those are all significantly below average for a major league 3rd basement, and i can promise you Josh Fields won't have a damn .305 on base or .750 OPS, yet some fans will rip him since he's not "clutch" like Crede and strikes out too much. Figures.

You don't even know if he will make it. Lets let him play a few years before you annoint him better than crede. Look at the great Brian andersen now. Hope he is saving his money because there will be no big payday.

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 01:55 AM)
The philosophy of pitching is fine, but to take no position prospects today when that is a HUGE need for us, ugh.

I have a bigger issue with the fact we didn't get any offensive talent in the Garcia trade. It pains me to see how well Taveras is hitting this year.

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 01:56 AM)
What is with all that crap on the field?

How dare you refer to our team as crap.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 08:56 PM)
You don't even know if he will make it. Lets let him play a few years before you annoint him better than crede. Look at the great Brian andersen now. Hope he is saving his money because there will be no big payday.

Josh Fields will not put up a .305 career on base percentage, that's a promise I can even make.

And Wendall Middlebrooks for President.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 08:55 PM)
If we have an infield problem right now, what makes you think some prospects are going to change it for next year? How about we build up our farm with the best possible players, and use them as trading pieces to fill our holes? Pitching prospects tend to be worth more in the trading market, so I understand where the Sox are coming from.

I somewhat agree and knowing we do not sign them for more than 3 years we will need alot of them, but still there are all kinds of holes in the system.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 08:55 PM)
If we have an infield problem right now, what makes you think some prospects are going to change it for next year? How about we build up our farm with the best possible players, and use them as trading pieces to fill our holes? Pitching prospects tend to be worth more in the trading market, so I understand where the Sox are coming from.

The question is, how does trading Haeger, Floyd, Phillips, McCullough or Broadway net us even a MLB quality starter in the OF, SS, 2B or catcher?

We won't even be able to trade any of these picks for at least a year...if we wanted to, and we can't really go out and trade Gio, Russell, Masset and De Los Santos, so what's left to trade?

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 06:53 PM)
Can someone please explain to me why we're drafting all pitchers when we need about 4-5 positions on the field to be replaced?

Is KW planning to trade all of his pitching prospects to fill needs? Well, that's one way to go about it...as pitchers are the most valuable components of any organization, just not sure I agree with that philosophy or not.

I think the answer to why we're drafting pitchers has a lot to do with things like the contracts for Matsuzaka, Zito, Meche, Lilly, Schmidt, and so forth from last season. After another year of jumping, the price for a guy who plays 1 out of every 5 days has gone up to the same level as that of a person who plays every day and challenges for the MVP award. There is just such a demand for pitching on the FA market that it seems impossible these days to actually build a competitive team if you're stuck having to buy pitchers. I think it's a lot easier to find either reasonably priced performers or even bargains if you're hunting over the position players, and I think a position player is a lot more likely to earn $15 mil a year and stay healthy over the course of a contract (depending on age) than a pitcher.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 01:57 AM)
The question is, how does trading Haeger, Floyd, Phillips, McCullough or Broadway net us even a MLB quality starter in the OF, SS, 2B or catcher?

We won't even be able to trade any of these picks for at least a year...if we wanted to, and we can't really go out and trade Gio, Russell, Masset and De Los Santos, so what's left to trade?

Why can't we trade Gio, Russell, Masset, and DLS? Those guys are not even close to being sure-fire MLB pitchers. If you can get an everyday player for them, you have to consider dealing them.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 08:57 PM)

actaully we can trade everyone you named because they are all about the same.

QUOTE(CWSOX45 @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 08:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Garland was not drafted by us. Logan counts I suppose, but he was pretty much all luck. The guy almost dropped out of baseball completely.

I'm talking about our scouting department DRAFTING players.

They've done a horrible job, and the result is what you're looking at right now on the field.......an AWFUL baseball team.

That is absurd.

He was a kid who made a huge jump who still has plenty of options available for his young career.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/dr...velopment_N.htm

According to USA Today, the Sox are 10th amongst all MLB teams for highest % of players to make the big leagues within being drated of the first 5 rounds.

Don't believe me? Read the article.

It's amazing how many freaking minor league/scouting experts we have here when I'm betting a small percentage of the posters have actually attended a Sox minor league game, a small percentage even know what to look for while attending the game, and an even smaller percentage follow the other MLB teams's farm systems.

10. Chicago White Sox (24.3%): Joe Crede, a fifth-rounder in 1996, won a Silver Slugger Award as the AL's best offensive third baseman last year. Two 1998 first-rounders, outfielder Aaron Rowand and pitcher Kip Wells, have been solid major leaguers but are with other teams. The White Sox have high hopes for more recent picks, including third baseman Josh Fields, a 2004 first-rounder, and outfielder Ryan Sweeney, a 2003 second-rounder.

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 07:01 PM)
According to USA Today, the Sox are 10th amongst all MLB teams for highest % of players to make the big leagues within being drated of the first 5 rounds.

I fully believe that data. I also wonder what happens when you start applying additional filters, like %'age of a team's draftees who make the AS game. The Sox have drafted a ton, at least to my eyes, of ok-level major leaguers in the first few rounds, like the guys you cite, but I'm having difficulty remembering many folks we drafted early and developed who turned into legit stars who could carry a team (guys like Buehrles and BMac coming late in drafts)

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 7, 2007 -> 07:02 PM)
If they're bringing in the lefty here, Ozzie should let Hall bat.

Lefties are actually hitting .333 off of Myers this season according to Gameday. Which is of course...taunting me tonight, so that could be slightly off.