Wireless power a reality??

FlaSoxxJim

This is crazy cool.

MIT researchers said Thursday they will soon be able to charge a computer or cell-phone battery from across a room, perhaps making the annoyance of wires or dead batteries a thing of the past.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology scientists and their wireless energy transfer technology may soon eliminate wires that tether our machines to wall sockets, or may keep batteries topped up and ready to go.

"This invention could free us from power cables and ideally replace batteries to a good extent, at least in the context of a home or office setting," said Aristeidis Karalis, a student member of the MIT team that worked four years on the problem.

The team at MIT, a top US academic laboratory, has shown their fledgling "WiTricity" technology can power a 60 watt bulb from a power source two meters (seven feet) away.

That is enough juice to power an average laptop, said Marin Soljacic, a professor of physics at MIT in Cambridge, Massachusetts, who called the experiment a "major milestone."

full story here.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 07:31 AM)
Does this also maybe translate to wireless TV's, lights, everything else you have to plug in???

Maybe eventually, wireless cars...that would be sweet with a good infrastructure set up.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 08:02 AM)
Maybe eventually, wireless cars...that would be sweet with a good infrastructure set up.

That would be a long way off if ever. I dont think ever because in my opinion the "car of the future" isnt going to be an electric powered car.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 08:21 AM)
That would be a long way off if ever. I dont think ever because in my opinion the "car of the future" isnt going to be an electric powered car.

Probably true, but that won't stop me from thinking about it. People are always talking about flying cars, but I don't see that as a possibly in the near future either.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 09:12 AM)
How will this technology affect us physically? Seems like added radiation permeating around. Maybe we'll see higher cancer rates.

I am also curious about effects to pace makers and whatever else people have in them now.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 08:31 AM)
Does this also maybe translate to wireless TV's, lights, everything else you have to plug in???

Yeah, that would be the idea. They are a few years away, no doubt, but on the right track.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 09:12 AM)
How will this technology affect us physically? Seems like added radiation permeating around. Maybe we'll see higher cancer rates.

I've read that high tension power lines give off the same electrical field as our own bodies. If this is has a similar result then there should be no issues.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 09:37 AM)
he was a little sensationalist in his claims, but he had some great ideas and was way ahead of his time.

The post-it was a great idea, inventing a system to utilitze alternating current instead of DC is revolutionary.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 11:26 AM)
Fore sure, a bunch of people thought Tesla was off his nut when he talked about what he thought was possible in the field of electromagnetics.

The guy was a little off-center in some areas. I think he spent a little too much time listening to Edgar Cayce, but even if you look at strictly his genius and inventions in electricity and other fields like that, he is the man who made the 20th century possible. Edison pretty much just took what Tesla came up with it, and mass marketed it... Call him Bill Gates.