Hey Ozzie....

fathom

QUOTE(BabyJesus69 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 04:20 AM)
give ross gload a chance to leadoff? that's brilliant....

yep, and Jerry Owens is such a bright idea? I know that .354 OBP that Gload had was awful last year, especially since he hit .351 after the ASB. Pods hit .241 after the ASB.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 11:22 PM)
Last year for Gload....you know that's what I meant. Pods was just killing this team's offense for a few months after the all-star break, but we kept trotting him out to the leadoff spot before a terrific 3/4/5.

Why are you still on last year? And what makes you think Gload, a guy who's not an everyday player, could've held down the leadoff spot last year?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 04:25 AM)
I blame Ozzie a lot more for what happened last year than I do this year. NOBODY could've predicted the ENTIRE offense would be this bad for over 2 months. Show me a manager that could win with a team hitting .232 in our division.

Where did I blame this entire debacle on Ozzie? I just want to see a little more looseness and creativity from now on. These guys not only play not to lose, but they just seem to tight. As someone said so perfectly the other day, Ozzie seems to have lost a lot of his fire since the Mariotti incident.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 04:28 AM)
Why are you still on last year? And what makes you think Gload, a guy who's not an everyday player, could've held down the leadoff spot last year?

Because you didn't catch on that I was referring to the Gload situation in 2006. What makes someone an everyday player or a bench player if they never get the chance to prove they can be an everyday starter? The one time Gload got extended playing time during his career, he was good. The ironic thing about this is that I was nowhere near the Gload-aholic that many on this board were. I just thought he was a better option during the 2nd half last year than Pods, and I wanted Ozzie to not be afraid of making a big move.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 11:28 PM)
Where did I blame this entire debacle on Ozzie? I just want to see a little more looseness and creativity from now on. These guys not only play not to lose, but they just seem to tight. As someone said so perfectly the other day, Ozzie seems to have lost a lot of his fire since the Mariotti incident.

Please, fathom, you've been riding Ozzie for months. Even when he, in your mind, does something right, you're still making snarky remarks. How many times have you said "I wish Ozzie had kept his word and quit after we won the World Series"?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2007 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 04:32 AM)
Please, fathom, you've been riding Ozzie for months. Even when he, in your mind, does something right, you're still making snarky remarks. How many times have you said "I wish Ozzie had kept his word and quit after we won the World Series"?

When he does something right, I'm one of the only posters who will say something. Hell, I was sticking up for him with the decision to let MacDougal start the bottom of the 9th at Minnesota a few weeks ago.

I've made no secret that I wish he quit after we won the WS like he said. I think he's been a horrible manager for the last year and a half now. However, I'm not that big of an idiot to expect him to be fired after what happened during 2006, and I don't think he'll be fired now. I've said all along that I thought it would be his mouth that got him fired. I hate how arrogant Ozzie and KW have become since 2005. KW has no bigger supporter than me a few years ago. Now, I want to know who kidnapped him after Thanksgiving of 2005.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 04:42 AM)
"I know that's 99% on the players, but Ozzie still gets blame from me!"

You're grasping at straws.

Huh? You honestly believe that Ozzie deserves zero blame for what's happened? You think Ozzie's handled our relief situation well, including his use of Logan and not bringing in Jenks in a couple of situations where he was fresh? You know we have some type of respect for each other, but what would have to happen for you to think he deserves any blame? This might shock you, but I actually think that Ozzie might be the only manager who could lead this team to a good final 100 games. He just needs to get his mojo back.

Oh, and by the way, Ozzie making some jokes about how he should have Konerko lead off tomorrow. Like I said, he talks a big game in the media. I'm still waiting to see any type of change to our lineup.

Edited by fathom

He's made some changes recently!

But what kind of changes do you expect him to make that he hasn't already made unless we get some new guys?

I don't believe Ozzie deserves zero blame but I don't give him much of it at all.

This might shock you, but I actually think that Ozzie might be the only manager who could lead this team to a good final 100 games. He just needs to get his mojo back.

It does shock me but listen: this is a bad team. Older, slower, and injured. The bullpen is garbage.

I don't think anyone could lead this team too far.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 04:47 AM)
He's made some changes recently!

But what kind of changes do you expect him to make that he hasn't already made unless we get some new guys?

I don't believe Ozzie deserves zero blame but I don't give him much of it at all.

It does shock me but listen: this is a bad team. Older, slower, and injured. The bullpen is garbage.

I don't think anyone could lead this team too far.

Well, then let's trade Buehrle while he still has a ton of value. Ozzie said after today that he's not ready to start trading players though. Personally, I give this team two more weeks to turn it around. If we lose about 75 pct of our next 15 games, including losing the series to the Cubs, then you blow this team up. You put Buehrle on the market, Thome on the market, as well as Iguchi and Dye if he can be healthy.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 10:09 PM)
Ozzie had a lot to do with who's on this roster also though. He's the one who needs his "speed" guy at the top of the order. He's the one who didn't want to give Anderson an extended shot this year. He's the one that never gave Gload the chance to see what he could do as a leadoff hitter. In no way am I blaming Ozzie for how bad this talent level is....but he isn't exactly out of the loop on these decisions.

The only time this line-up has looked decent recently were the two games that Owens got on base, with his no walks.

Anderson or Gload playing would make this team either a fifth place or 3rd place team, but definitely not a 90 win squad. Even the Royals see the writing on the wall and are already thinking about trading him, Reggie Sanders, Emil Brown, Sweeney, Berroa, etc.

Having a Gload, Mackowiak or Catalanotto type leading off would be "okay," but I hardly think the Tigers or Indians would be cringing in their boots.

If the "magic cure" this year was keeping Gload and playing him nearly everyday, there's not much I can say about how far we've come from winning the World Series...and both Gload and Anderson have suffered injuries now too.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 12:32 AM)
The only time this line-up has looked decent recently were the two games that Owens got on base, with his no walks.

Anderson or Gload playing would make this team either a fifth place or 3rd place team, but definitely not a 90 win squad. Even the Royals see the writing on the wall and are already thinking about trading him, Reggie Sanders, Emil Brown, Sweeney, Berroa, etc.

Having a Gload, Mackowiak or Catalanotto type leading off would be "okay," but I hardly think the Tigers or Indians would be cringing in their boots.

If the "magic cure" this year was keeping Gload and playing him nearly everyday, there's not much I can say about how far we've come from winning the World Series...and both Gload and Anderson have suffered injuries now too.

I doubt Anderson would be worse than Owens/Sweeney/Terrero in the 3rd OF spot.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 12:36 AM)
I doubt Anderson would be worse than Owens/Sweeney/Terrero in the 3rd OF spot.

But lesser of four evils or "maybe not worse than" doesn't get you much, at best, a .500 ballclub.

I guess Anderson has now become the poster child (like Rowand) for "what ifs," and I'm not buying it. The same people who think we would be contending with Rowand instead of Thome are probably arguing Ozzie's "vendetta" against Anderson is killing the organization.

The problem with all the anti-Anderson stuff is 1) KW is either complicit in it, 2) KW has no balls to go against Guillen's wishes for the ballclub...3) KW and OG are on the same page, for better or worse, despite what everyone here thinks and wishes.

Or 4) there is a real rift between KW and OG and we just don't know about it.

It's unfortunate, but there's not a heckuva lot that could've been done to prevent a year like this from happening, unless you somehow could have predicted guys like Konerko, Dye and Crede just falling into the crapper the way they have.

There could have been some things to make this team a little better -- the left-field situation is one, and maybe the bullpen (although I'm only going to criticize the bullpen construction so much, as throwing money at relievers isn't the greatest plan in the world either) -- but even with a reasonable set of "perfect" moves, this team wouldn't be a heckuva lot better than .500 right now, and it certainly wouldn't be so good as to be competing with Detroit and Cleveland.

It's amazing that all of the 'collapses' and injuries have (seemingly) just hit this team this season. It's a shame, but hopefully there will be some small bidding wars over Jermaine Dye, (perhaps) Iguchi and whichever starting pitcher goes.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 12:47 AM)
Sadly, he would be. Terrero is ten times the player Anderson is (or at least has a career OPS 70 points higher). Ozzie was right.

I don't know what you've been watching, but all four have been s***. Terrero has been swinging as hard as he can every time.

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 01:47 PM)
good thing we don't have Rowand's .320 avg, 8HR, speed and defense to deal with on top of all our other troubles :chair

good thing we don't have Rowand's .320 avg, 8HR, speed and defense to deal with on top of all our other troubles :chair

Yeah because he's been kicking oh so much ass over the past month right?

G PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB IBB SO HBP SH SF GDP SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS

30 125 112 20 30 7 0 3 15 7 0 18 3 1 2 6 1 1 .268 .323 .411 .734

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
Yeah because he's been kicking oh so much ass over the past month right?

30 125 112 20 30 7 0 3 15 7 0 18 3 1 2 6 1 1 .268 .323 .411 .734

That's still better than everyone on our team not named Thome. I honestly don't want Aaron back but I will defend him with my life god damn it. :fight

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)
That's still better than everyone on our team not named Thome. I honestly don't want Aaron back but I will defend him with my life god damn it. :fight

30 125 112 20 30 7 0 3 15 7 0 18 3 1 2 6 1 1 .268 .323 .411 .734 - Rowand

29 118 101 15 27 4 0 4 10 16 1 19 0 0 1 2 0 0 .267 .364 .426 .790 - Konerko

21 91 80 12 25 4 0 1 10 9 0 11 1 0 1 0 3 1 .313 .385 .400 .785 - Iguchi

25 93 88 10 26 3 0 4 14 4 2 5 0 0 1 9 0 1 .295 .323 .466 .789 - Pierzynski

It's just a damn shame the Sox can't find any stability in the outfield.

Fun Stat: Tadahito Iguchi has not ground into a double play since May 4th. Apparently you need someone on ahead of you in order to hit into one.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 12:48 AM)
But lesser of four evils or "maybe not worse than" doesn't get you much, at best, a .500 ballclub.

I guess Anderson has now become the poster child (like Rowand) for "what ifs," and I'm not buying it. The same people who think we would be contending with Rowand instead of Thome are probably arguing Ozzie's "vendetta" against Anderson is killing the organization.

The problem with all the anti-Anderson stuff is 1) KW is either complicit in it, 2) KW has no balls to go against Guillen's wishes for the ballclub...3) KW and OG are on the same page, for better or worse, despite what everyone here thinks and wishes.

Or 4) there is a real rift between KW and OG and we just don't know about it.

The argument for Anderson is not that he will bring better production. He probably won't. It's that he's young and might turn out to be a really good player. That's better than guaranteed mediocrity (although Rob M and the rest aren't even delivering mediocrity; and what is Cintron even doing on the team?).

Rob M at leadoff; bunting to put the pressure of tying the game on a rookie and Rob M - the Sox sure aren't getting much help from the baintrust either.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 9, 2007 -> 02:45 PM)

I hope you mean that not including starting pitchers. And Kalapse's numbers just show that Aaron Rowand is what he is: an average baseball player. Now, he'd be our best OF by far, but he's an average player. Jim Thome is a top 10 slugger in the AL. Big difference.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 8, 2007 -> 08:04 PM)
It's time for Ozzie to step up and get this team going on the right track. He needs to stop feeling sorry for himself and talking a big game in the media. It's time for him to prove he can make a lineup without having some mediocre slap hitter at the top of the order. It's time for him to shake things up, even if that means drastic things like putting Owens or Mackowiak between Konerko and AJP to break up the automatic double play situation that those guys get themselves into. Basically, it's time for Ozzie to prove that he hasn't lost this team, and that he's the right man to stop this almost year long slump this team has been in. Please stop making comments about if you should be fired or not or what's going to happen in your career. Just go out and get this team to play with energy and confidence.

interesting note from Whalen's blog...

So, when all’s said and done, who’s at fault for this being a .500 team?

My vote is Ozzie, and the answer is in the music.

Remember all those stories about how Ozzie would come in – when he was first hired – and turn up the music after a loss? He was trying to instill the attitude of, this is just one loss, forget about it, move on.

Well, the music hasn’t been on after a loss in a long, long time. He hasn’t done that.

I think he’s a good baseball manager, a fantastic person to deal with and the right man for the job, but since the middle of last year when Detroit started pulling away, Ozzie has taken this job very seriously it’s rubbed off on the players.

There isn’t as much fun in this clubhouse as there once was.

That, in a nutshell, is what I think is wrong with this team right now. A little mindset change and they’re right back in it; if they take themselves too seriously, though, this season could be a long one.