6/10 Games -> Mercedes goes for the cycle

Heads22

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...ox&did=milb

Two straight very good starts from Gavin Floyd, as today he goes seven innings, allowing two runs (just one earned) on five hits and three walks. He struck out eight. Sweeney had a two hit day at the plate and Craig Wilson continues to fall. Damn has he fallen from 'grace' -- just a year ago he was having a pretty okay year with Pittsburg but since he's gone to New York it has not been pretty.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 05:55 PM)
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...msbaax_biraax_1

Egbert with a s***ty game. 5 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 6 BB, 6 K, 1 HR

Valido 0-6.

That's quite an accomplishment to surrender six hits and six walks and only give up 3 earned runs. When he wasn't striking out batters he was enducing groundballs.

while KW certainly did a crappy job filling the pen this offseason, the two trades he was blasted for most are turning out to be pretty good....gio is looking like one of the best pitching prospects in the game, and floyd appears like he may be getting things figured out in AAA, i really think he can be a decent option as a 5 starter toward the end of this year into next year...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 04:34 PM)
http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...ox&did=milb

Two straight very good starts from Gavin Floyd, as today he goes seven innings, allowing two runs (just one earned) on five hits and three walks. He struck out eight. Sweeney had a two hit day at the plate and Craig Wilson continues to fall. Damn has he fallen from 'grace' -- just a year ago he was having a pretty okay year with Pittsburg but since he's gone to New York it has not been pretty.

This guy is a stud. People get excited about a lot of other guys, but no one has the pure potential/tools that Floyd has (and has consistently shown down in AAA....the command hasn't always been there, but he's consistently throwing in the mid 90's and flashing a plus plus curve).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 10, 2007 -> 09:39 PM)
This guy is a stud. People get excited about a lot of other guys, but no one has the pure potential/tools that Floyd has (and has consistently shown down in AAA....the command hasn't always been there, but he's consistently throwing in the mid 90's and flashing a plus plus curve).

I have been saying since we got him, that he would need a season in AAA to rebuild the confidence and control that was destroyed by the Phills. He has a nice sinking fastball, and a good curve. If he can focus on command and keep getting confidence we have a steal there.

I hope the kid can do it. The stuff is nasty.

With the way this team has been playing I hope Floyd is up after the trade deadline. It would be really nice if we trade Dye and got Billingsly too. Have Floyd, Billingsly, and Danks altogether and probably promote Gio to AAA and depending on results maybe up in the rotation next year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)

That's very promising to hear. Let's hope Floyd can keep this momentum up, and force his way up into the big leagues for us. It seems like he may be getting things together.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 12:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With the way this team has been playing I hope Floyd is up after the trade deadline. It would be really nice if we trade Dye and got Billingsly too. Have Floyd, Billingsly, and Danks altogether and probably promote Gio to AAA and depending on results maybe up in the rotation next year.

Yes, it would be great if Floyd could do a pretty good job in Buehrle's spot come late July. The Sox could get a bundle for Mark and if they trade Dye to LA...well...Billingsley would be good but I'm holding out for him and Broxton both. Would that be too much ? Maybe not if Jermaine would get hot !

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 06:47 AM)
That's very promising to hear. Let's hope Floyd can keep this momentum up, and force his way up into the big leagues for us. It seems like he may be getting things together.

Wow -- 2 OK games and now he's on his way. I don't think there's any sign of a corner being turned yet, although it would be a career first if Floyd managed to master the opposition in AAA. If he does end up pitching as well in AAA as Felix Diaz did for an extended time then he may merit a call up. I still wouldn't put money on him getting big league hitters out.

Also, does everyone really think he has "good stuff". I only saw him in spring training, but it wasn't obvious to me that he had exceptional anything (admittedly, I know nothing about pitching).....

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 11:21 AM)
Wow -- 2 OK games and now he's on his way. I don't think there's any sign of a corner being turned yet, although it would be a career first if Floyd managed to master the opposition in AAA. If he does end up pitching as well in AAA as Felix Diaz did for an extended time then he may merit a call up. I still wouldn't put money on him getting big league hitters out.

Also, does everyone really think he has "good stuff". I only saw him in spring training, but it wasn't obvious to me that he had exceptional anything (admittedly, I know nothing about pitching).....

I wouldnt call them "ok" starts. 2 ER in his last 15 innings. Thats pretty good. Is he on his way I dont know, but his last two starts we're far from just "ok".

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 09:31 AM)
I wouldnt call them "ok" starts. 2 ER in his last 15 innings. Thats pretty good. Is he on his way I dont know, but his last two starts we're far from just "ok".

I would say his numbers for the past 4 starts actually haven't been too shabby.

Date OPP W L SV IP H ER BB SO

May 26 OTT 1 0 0 6.0 7 2 1 5

May 31 LOU 1 0 0 6.1 7 4 2 6

Jun 05 @LOU 0 0 0 8.0 7 1 0 6

Jun 10 IND 1 0 0 7.0 5 1 3 8

6+ in each game, WHIP around 1.17, worst start gives up 4 runs, 5+ k's per game, etc. I think that's basically his numbers since recovering from that little blister issue he had a while back, IIRC.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 11:59 AM)
I would say his numbers for the past 4 starts actually haven't been too shabby.

Date OPP W L SV IP H ER BB SO

May 26 OTT 1 0 0 6.0 7 2 1 5

May 31 LOU 1 0 0 6.1 7 4 2 6

Jun 05 @LOU 0 0 0 8.0 7 1 0 6

Jun 10 IND 1 0 0 7.0 5 1 3 8

6+ in each game, WHIP around 1.17, worst start gives up 4 runs, 5+ k's per game, etc. I think that's basically his numbers since recovering from that little blister issue he had a while back, IIRC.

more encouraging is his 1.19 GO/AO, including a 2.44 GO/AO over his last 2. If he can keep that up, he'll be up.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jun 11, 2007 -> 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. I wouldn't mind seeing Floyd being moved at the deadline either because after next spring he'll have to be on the big league squad otherwise he has to clear waivers. He doesn't suck enough that even a team like the Royals wouldn't claim him.