Hot Wings

Rex Hudler

I thought I would share an excellent wing sauce I found recently. Now when I make wings, I do them differently than a restaurant would.

I put the wings on a grill on low heat. I toss a little seasoning on them a special mix from a local butcher shop. Any of your favorite spices would work as long as it is not too spicy. I grill them on low heat without any sauce, turning them many times to make sure they don't get charred.

After a turn on each side, I start painting the wings with the sauce, continuing to do so each time I turn them. I let them get slightly crispy, but keep adding sauce as it cooks in. When they come off the grill, the sauce is cooked in and the wings are not wet. You get the slight crispiness and grilled flavor with the wing sauce rather than a wing soaking in sauce.

otts.jpg

I like wings done dry as a change of pace, but dripping wet and lip-searing is what i think of when I think buffalo wings.

That said, different places do some special twists really well and they are always a treat. The neighborhood sportsbar does up classic wet and hot wings well, so that's what I get when I'm there. Then there's a raw bar that does amazing hot garlic wings with huge chunks of fresh chopped garlic covering the wings, so that's what I get when I'm there and in a mood for wings. Finally, theres' a place by where I work that puts a little Caribbean flair into their stuff, and they do a Jamaican jerk wing that people make an hour-long drive for.

Theme and variation is what it's about with me for wings.

I learned how to do Buffalo Wings from a guy who used to work at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY which is the supposed origin of the Buffalo Wing.

Louisiana Hot Sauce + melted butter, stir constantly over heat to avoid separation. Deep-fry the wings in Vegetable Oil at 350º until golden brown and crispy, about 10-12 minutes. Let dry, quick-dip in sauce, shake and let dry on rack, serve. I really love the crispy skin and how it soaks up the sauce without getting soggy.

I've done honey-BBQ wings although for all the fuss that a barbecue sauce involves, I'd rather just toss them in Gates or Sweet Baby Ray's.

I'm currently thinking about a Jerk variation, although that would likely involve grilling for a more intrinsically Caribbean flavor.

QUOTE(Drew @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 12:32 AM)
I learned how to do Buffalo Wings from a guy who used to work at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, NY which is the supposed origin of the Buffalo Wing.

Louisiana Hot Sauce + melted butter, stir constantly over heat to avoid separation. Deep-fry the wings in Vegetable Oil at 350º until golden brown and crispy, about 10-12 minutes. Let dry, quick-dip in sauce, shake and let dry on rack, serve. I really love the crispy skin and how it soaks up the sauce without getting soggy.

I've done honey-BBQ wings although for all the fuss that a barbecue sauce involves, I'd rather just toss them in Gates or Sweet Baby Ray's.

I'm currently thinking about a Jerk variation, although that would likely involve grilling for a more intrinsically Caribbean flavor.

I've done the same using Frank's Red Hot Sauce and butter. The sauce I posted a pic of earlier seems to have that similar flavor without having to add the butter. I don't deep fry at home, which is why I grill them to get that very crispiness and allow the sauce to soak in.

For Jamaican jerk sauce, I HIGHLY recommend the Jerk seasoning shown at the link below. Apparently it is not yet available online, but can be purchased at the restaurant. It is unlike any carribbean jerk flavoring I have ever had and will get you hooked. Check back and try some when it becomes available. You won't regret it.

Bob Baumhower's Wings Sports Grille