At this point...

jasonxctf

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 10:49 AM)
would you rather have...

3B= Fields

LF= Mackowiak

CF= Owens/Terrero

or

3B= Mackowiak

LF= Terrero/Fields

CF= Owens (when healthy)

Owens doesn't have the arm for CF, and he doesn't have the power for a corner OF spot. He's, at best, a fourth OF, at worse, Rodney McCray or a career minor leaguer.

Fields will sink or swim at 3B. You just need to leave him there for 4 1/2 months and see what he can, just as the Royals are doing with Alex Gordon.

I can't believe it, but I'm 100% behind playing Terrero everyday in CF and seeing what he can, same with Fields. I wouldn't mind seeing Sweeney either, if Dye is traded.

KW has to know what he has for 2008, and what trades or moves have to be made to supplement the talent we have coming back. Playing Pods, Cintron, Mack or Erstad doesn't really help us at all, unless we're showcasing them for the highest bidders on the market.

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 10:54 AM)
Owens doesn't have the arm for CF, and he doesn't have the power for a corner OF spot. He's, at best, a fourth OF, at worse, Rodney McCray or a career minor leaguer.

I guess I don't understand that rationale. Why must the corner OF need to have power to play out there?

The corner OF position is traditionally a position where the player hits for relatively solid power. The corner OF positions, along with the corner infield positions are traditional power positions. This has changed somewhat with middle infielders now starting to showcase more power because of better conditioning and weight training, however.

It is not required that your corner OF have solid power, as we were able to win in 05' with Pods in left obvously. And if you can get power from other areas such as ss, 2b, and obviously the dh, you can get away with a corner outfielder who doesn't have a lot of pop. However, traditionally, that spot is a position where teams try to place someone with power.

The idea behind this is many of the larger hitters with power have to play the field somewhere- so you play them at the "easier" positions in the field. You play your best defensive players up the middle (ss, 2b, cf). These players often do not possess the best power on the team.

Edited by iamshack

If Jerry Owens could hit .300 and take a few walks, with his speed, I would have no problem at all with him manning a corner OF spot. He fills a need, and with the talent we have at say, DH, we can sacrifice a few HR's to put some balance into the lineup.

Unfortunately, Owens has shown nothing so far that suggests he'll be able to turn into a .300 hitting slap hitter like we need him to.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 01:01 PM)
In 33 plate appearances this season Owens didn't draw a single walk while striking out 6 times.

Atleast Ryan Sweeney in his first 33 PA this season managed to walk 4 times while K'ing only 3.

I've never cared for Owens as a prospect or as a player on the big league team (from what little I've seen thus far).

I like the idea of Terrero in left, a FA centerfielder such as Ichiro, and Sweeney in right.

If Kenny would rather spend the money on Mark Buehrle rather than a CF, then I suppose at worst we can throw Terrero in center, and sign a FA left fielder as that would likely be cheaper than center fielders.

However, if you're going to go without an impact-type FA outfielder, you're once again (like this year) depending almost entirely on Pauly and Jim to create runs for you. That could be a risk KW does not wish to take considering the offense's performance this year coupled with Thome's age next year.

Maybe I am ill or something, but I want Luis terraro and Josh Fields to be given a chance to prove themselves. In my view, Terraro has some serious raw talent (don't tell me him almost throwing out Bourne last night wasn't impressive, what a gun).

Fields, while he has looked overmatched and hopeless so far, is a tireless worker who has a track record of learning and improving. He must be given (as I'm sure he will be with Crede's situation) free reign to go out and stink it up with the hopes he figures it out. His bunt last night was heady and he has shown better than average footwork at 3rd base. Despite his early season funk, he shows promise.

Mackowiak=Platoon, utlity player. Was brought here to mix and match at multiple positions, not to be an everyday player.

Owens=No better than 4thOF. He doesn't have the goods to be a full-timer in the majors.

So Mack and Owens need to go back to parttime and we need Terraro and Fields to be allowed a chance to showcase their skills. Terraro brought a respectable average and homerun rate into last nights game and he obviously has a true major league arm. If Dye is moved, Luis should be given a shot at right (Sweeney should also get some looks). If Dye remains then maybe Luis can play CF.

If this season does truly become a lost one, then Sweeney, Terraro and Fields should be given long, solid looks, because after them AAA provides no more positiona player prospects for the White Sox.

QUOTE(jasonxctf @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
would you rather have...

3B= Fields

LF= Mackowiak

CF= Owens/Terrero

or

3B= Mackowiak

LF= Terrero/Fields

CF= Owens (when healthy)

Why can't we have Fields, Terrero, Owens? that's what i want. Owens is atleast a legit lead off despite being inexperienced. fields will get the big leagues in time, whether or not he'll be better than average remanins to be seen but i like his defense and he's no worse than crede at the plate this season. it's crystal clear that Terrero needs to be in the big leagues every day. i love his power. it reminds me of some of El Caballo's bombs years ago...we can call him Luis "The Terror" Terrero!!!

Edited by DonnyDevito

Terrero should be playing everyday right now. I am curious to see just how good this guy is as his sample size grows. We also need Fields in everyday to figure out what we have in him. I'd also like to see us call up Sweeney and play him everyday as well. Whether it be Sweeney in CF and Terrero in LF or Terrero in CF and Sweeney in LF (with Fields always at 3B), I want to see those 3 playing everyday. We need to get SOMETHING out of this season.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 12:26 AM)
Terrero should be playing everyday right now. I am curious to see just how good this guy is as his sample size grows. We also need Fields in everyday to figure out what we have in him. I'd also like to see us call up Sweeney and play him everyday as well. Whether it be Sweeney in CF and Terrero in LF or Terrero in CF and Sweeney in LF (with Fields always at 3B), I want to see those 3 playing everyday. We need to get SOMETHING out of this season.

I'll tell you one thing, as of right now Luis Terrero is my starting CF for 2008. I absolutely hated the guy during Spring Training and to start the year at Charlotte but he's really shown me something. He seems to be a pretty consistent power threat, I don't know about the rest of his offensive ability but it does seem that his power is real. He seems to play some great defense out in CF and he has an absolute cannon for an arm not to mention some decent speed. Power + Defense + Arm + Speed + League Minimum = starter for me. Of course now he'll go 0 for his next 27 or something just to prove me wrong.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 12:41 AM)
I'll tell you one thing, as of right now Luis Terrero is my starting CF for 2008. I absolutely hated the guy during Spring Training and to start the year at Charlotte but he's really shown me something. He seems to be a pretty consistent power threat, I don't know about the rest of his offensive ability but it does seem that his power is real. He seems to play some great defense out in CF and he has an absolute cannon for an arm not to mention some decent speed. Power + Defense + Arm + Speed + League Minimum = starter for me. Of course now he'll go 0 for his next 27 or something just to prove me wrong.

I agree with this 100%. I hated him until a few weeks ago when he hit that absolute bomb at the cell. Now he is one of my favorites on this team. At the very least he brings some excitement to the lineup everyday which is more than most of the other guys have brought this year.

QUOTE(max power @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 01:34 AM)
Anybody have a good read about terrero? What kind of prospect he was when he was younger, what he did with the other teams he was on, intangibly.

He was the DBacks top prospect in 2002; does that help answer some questions?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 12:41 AM)

I don't know if it is a fluke or not, but the ball is just jumping off of his bat right now. His swing seems to be short and quick, and he has a plan at the plate. So far his route in CF look very solid, and he is getting a nice jump on the ball. He isn't going to set the world on fire, but if you upgrade an OF spot for 08, I have no problem giving this kid a shot at the other position (LF or CF).

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
Unfortunately, Sox attendance will feel this impact as well. I'm interested in watching Fields because he is a legitimate prospect but Owens, Terrero, Mack. are nothing - not prospects and not good big leaguers. No reason to watch.

I dunno, I hate to say it, but Terrero does seem kind of exciting.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 12:24 PM)
I dunno, I hate to say it, but Terrero does seem kind of exciting.

If Terrero keeps hitting like he has, I'd love to see him in RF or CF permanently. He has a good arm and speed on top of it.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unfortunately, Sox attendance will feel this impact as well. I'm interested in watching Fields because he is a legitimate prospect but Owens, Terrero, Mack. are nothing - not prospects and not good big leaguers. No reason to watch.

i don't think they will. foolish sox fans, or rich ones, keep going to the cell (30,000+) to spend $7 on a beer and $4 on a hot dog. the organization is taking the fans for a ride this season. they're just going to sit back and count their money. they're pinning their hopes on a top 5 draft pick next season.