Justin Verlander

Bonderman38

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
Buehrle>Verlander

I saw that coming. :)

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
Only watched 7-8-9 innings, but holy crap, how big was that strike zone? Looked like some balls were almost in the batters boxes and being called strikes.

I do agree with that. There were some horrible calls.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 10:05 PM)
Alright, I Concede Detroit is better than the White Sox.

And will be for the forseeable future.

I'll say right now, if losing enough games to select #2 overall allows us to draft a pitcher of Justin Verlander's calibur I'd support it. The season is over. It doesn't matter whether we finish with 70 or 81 wins.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 03:08 AM)

I'll say right now, if losing enough games to select #2 overall allows us to draft a pitcher of Justin Verlander's calibur I'd support it. The season is over. It doesn't matter whether we finish with 70 or 81 wins.

That's what is so infuriating about them getting Porcello also.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 10:08 PM)

If we would sign someone like Ichiro, we would have to forfiet that pick to the Mariners though, correct?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 03:44 AM)
If we would sign someone like Ichiro, we would have to forfiet that pick to the Mariners though, correct?

Nope -- you only forfeit it if the pick is #16 or lower (ie 16-30). We might lose our second rounder, but not our first.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 10:54 PM)
Nope -- you only forfeit it if the pick is #16 or lower (ie 16-30). We might lose our second rounder, but not our first.

ahh gotcha. I thought so, but I was reading some stuff and I got confused. I was reading about the new rules in the draft for next year though, and I really like them. I just thought I'd throw that in there :)

Also, we have to give props to Verlander. Throwing a no-no, especially this early in his career must be something else for him. But Buerhle's no-no > Verlander's :D

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 12:00 AM)
Also, we have to give props to Verlander. Throwing a no-no, especially this early in his career must be something else for him. But Buerhle's no-no > Verlander's :D

ESPN seems to disagree...but what do they know.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/bestgames

Detroit Tigers

Pitchers IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA

J Verlander (W, 7-2) 9.0 0 0 0 4 12 0 112-73 2.79

Totals 9.0 0 0 0 4 12 0 112-73

PITCHING

Batters faced: J Verlander 30

Ground Balls-Fly Balls: J Verlander 11-4

Game Scores: J Verlander 95

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 11:13 PM)
Whenever you face only 27 batters and only allow ONE baserunner, that is a better game. Strikeouts are cool and all, but an out is an out. Plus, ESPN just hates the White Sox.

Strikeouts are boring! Besides that, they're fascist.

Ground balls - thats more democratic.

:D

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 11:45 PM)
BULL!

(Maybe I'm an idiot, or misreading, but I see Buehrle's game as the top game there. Correct me if I'm wrong.)

They didn't update the list yet. Buehrle's ranked as a 94, and the ranking for Verlander's tonight was a 95.

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 04:10 AM)
ESPN seems to disagree...but what do they know.

http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/bestgames

Detroit Tigers

Pitchers IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA

J Verlander (W, 7-2) 9.0 0 0 0 4 12 0 112-73 2.79

Totals 9.0 0 0 0 4 12 0 112-73

PITCHING

Batters faced: J Verlander 30

Ground Balls-Fly Balls: J Verlander 11-4

Game Scores: J Verlander 95

I don't know how to quite put this, but Verlander's sequence to Graffanino in the ninth is probably one of the filthiest set of pitches I've seen in my lifetime. Verlander buries two sliders in a row on the outside corner and then buries one low and a way that Graffanino hacks at and misses. Graff never had a chance.

Quite the talent you have there -- Sox fans are jealous of all the talent that Detroit possesses. I said this in the gamethread and I'll say it here -- Detroit deserves every ounce of the success they're having right now. They've quickly transformed themselves into one of the best run organizations in all of baseball. Kudos, and I know it's a long way away, but hopefully they can finish the job this time in the playoffs and get that ring.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 12, 2007 -> 11:53 PM)
Verlander, Miller, and Porcello are gonna make one hell of a young trio... I hate the tigers more then anything right now. But hey, let me know when and if they win a world series anytime soon. At least I have something!

Jeremy Bonderman isn't exactly knocking on retirement's door. In fact, he's actually just knocking on the door of age 25, and is only 4 months older than Verlander. Just kind of a neat bit of trivia.