Mountain Bikes

Chisoxfn

I'm going to get a new mountain bike (mine is absolutely thrashed and trashed...I've probably had it for 10 years) and I was going to see if anyone here has any recommendations. I'm not necessarily looking to break the bank, but I definitely want a good bike with shocks and all that jazz so when I go up into the mountains and ride trails it will be relatively comfortable (I also will ride on the street as well).

I was looking at Costco and I found this one (my work pays for half of it too which is cool):

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...&lang=en-US

I have one of these, though mine is from 2004. Specialized Epic. Won all sorts of awards, particularly for the rear shock. Most rear shocks rob you of some power, because of course they give when you put downward pressure on an uphill. This one doesn't do that, thanks to the cool little "Brain" - it only gives when the force is upwards into the bike.

I highly recommend it.

But in more general terms, there are three brand names I'd recommend - Trek, Specialized and Gary Fisher. All very solid, very good bikes. And make sure your component set is Shimano and something decent level-wise.

You are in Cali, right? You may want armadillo tires too, because of all the little thornies out there, if you ride in the desert.

Gotcha...so what type of price should I be looking at spending (I can get 50% back from my employer up to them giving me 500 bucks, meaning I could get a 1k bike and pay 500, however I don't think I want to spend that much on a bike).

I should note I plan on doing a lot of my riding on the roads, while camping a couple times a year and at those points I'll do some terrain type of riding.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)
Gotcha...so what type of price should I be looking at spending (I can get 50% back from my employer up to them giving me 500 bucks, meaning I could get a 1k bike and pay 500, however I don't think I want to spend that much on a bike).

I should note I plan on doing a lot of my riding on the roads, while camping a couple times a year and at those points I'll do some terrain type of riding.

Before my bike was so rudly stolen I used both road and mountain tires on my trek. I used to ride both trails and along the lake depending on where I was. I recently bought the Trek 4500 as a replacement for my 4300 disc. I love this bike because the components were good with the shimano crank and the RoxShox fork. I also always put clipless pedals, bar ends and water bottle holder etc as well. I only paid slightly above 500.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike.php?b...022600&f=18

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 06:47 PM)
my bike was so rudly stolen

that sucks. there are a million bike thieves in Chicago, always gotta use a good U-Lock or somethin.

I have a pricey road bike, but i covered the frame with black electrical type tape so it looks cheap. it acutally looks kinda cool, but not expensive. hopefully bike thief won't want to waste time on something that he thinks won't sell for much.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
that sucks. there are a million bike thieves in Chicago, always gotta use a good U-Lock or somethin.

Stolen from my garage. I had the bike for many years and it was my tool to begin my weight loss after college. I put thousands of miles on the road and trails on that bike. It was like losing a family member.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 12:10 AM)
That bike looks pretty sweet Rock. I'm going to check it out at the bike store by my house tomorrow.

I wont steer you wrong. I like how light it is, the gear spacing, pretty much everything. Its a good value and they have lasted me very well. I had thousands and thousands of miles on my 4300 when it got taken, and the thing felt next to new.