What the hell was Ozzie doing today?

whitesoxfan101

Now as everybody knows by now, I don't blame Ozzie for THIS year. And as everybody also knows, if we had won today it wouldn't have mattered. But Ozzie still made decisions that were inexcuseable:

-Taking Danks and his 102 pitches out after 4 and 2/3 innings. First of all, whatever happened to trying to get your pitcher the win. Plus, he just struck out Ryan freaking Howard, had got Burrell out earlier in the game, and realistically could have tried to pitch the 6th too had he got Burrell out, while only giving up 2 runs.

-Bringing Thornton in during the 6th. Bring in the damn loogy Ozzie! You could have let Logan do the work, than pinch hit for him in the bottom half. But nope, Thornton comes in AND is allowed to bat with a man on base and the game tied. Hell, why not even double switch Fields out of the game? He made the last out of the 6th, you LOVE Andy Gonzalez, and you took Fields out in a double switch last night.

-Thanks for getting our best left in for the 8th to whiff the heart of their order. Not like it was too late or anything, or that Logan has looked 10 times better than Matty has lately. At least Fields made a great play to save your ass for the moment to end the 5th on Burrell I guess.

-Thornton has thrown 40 pitches, had NO control, and the bases were loaded. What do you do? LEAVE HIM IN TO FACE THE RIGHTY!! That grand slam might have simply been the baseball gods slapping Ozzie in the face for being a dumbass. At least you hit Jerry Owens, a bad player on 1 leg, leadoff though!

Again, let me be clear. My blame for 2007 goes squarely on Kenny Williams. But today's game might have been the worst managed by anybody in baseball this year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
I appreciate him being conservative with Danks, who needs a solid nickname.

Absolutely. There's no reason to keeps Danks out there with a high pitch count during a lost season. I'm really excited about Danks' future and am glad to see Ozzie handling him carefully.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 04:47 PM)
every time you post I want a beer. And milk. Weird.

:D

:drink

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 08:55 PM)
Now even Danks sucks.

Man are the Sox going to have a lot of no shows at the Cell the rest of the year.

Did you even watch the game? Did you look at the stat line? Have you watched any of his outings this season? I'm baffled.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
I have more of a problem with the 4th inning double switch from yesterday than I do anything he did today.

Double switches are fun and help you win. Clearly you must not understand the strategy involved in executing one of them. There is a direct correlation with double switches and wins when you play in the National League.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 06:03 PM)
Now as everybody knows by now, I don't blame Ozzie for THIS year. And as everybody also knows, if we had won today it wouldn't have mattered. But Ozzie still made decisions that were inexcuseable:

-Taking Danks and his 102 pitches out after 4 and 2/3 innings. First of all, whatever happened to trying to get your pitcher the win. Plus, he just struck out Ryan freaking Howard, had got Burrell out earlier in the game, and realistically could have tried to pitch the 6th too had he got Burrell out, while only giving up 2 runs.

-Bringing Thornton in during the 6th. Bring in the damn loogy Ozzie! You could have let Logan do the work, than pinch hit for him in the bottom half. But nope, Thornton comes in AND is allowed to bat with a man on base and the game tied. Hell, why not even double switch Fields out of the game? He made the last out of the 6th, you LOVE Andy Gonzalez, and you took Fields out in a double switch last night.

-Thanks for getting our best left in for the 8th to whiff the heart of their order. Not like it was too late or anything, or that Logan has looked 10 times better than Matty has lately. At least Fields made a great play to save your ass for the moment to end the 5th on Burrell I guess.

-Thornton has thrown 40 pitches, had NO control, and the bases were loaded. What do you do? LEAVE HIM IN TO FACE THE RIGHTY!! That grand slam might have simply been the baseball gods slapping Ozzie in the face for being a dumbass. At least you hit Jerry Owens, a bad player on 1 leg, leadoff though!

Again, let me be clear. My blame for 2007 goes squarely on Kenny Williams. But today's game might have been the worst managed by anybody in baseball this year.

I'm 100% sure that Ozzie would have 14 threads complaining if he left Danks out there in that situation, he gave up the lead and Jon ended up falling to 3-7 on the season, despite an ERA near 4.00 (if you take the three God-forsaken Uribe runs off the board from that DET game that seemed about 10 years ago).

QUOTE(caulfield12 @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
I'm 100% sure that Ozzie would have 14 threads complaining if he left Danks out there in that situation, he gave up the lead and Jon ended up falling to 3-7 on the season, despite an ERA near 4.00 (if you take the three God-forsaken Uribe runs off the board from that DET game that seemed about 10 years ago).

Thornton was credited with the loss.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 09:09 PM)
Thornton was credited with the loss.

I'm just saying, with the way that inning was shaping up, I don't think ANYBODY would have been surprised had Burrell hit a three run bomb...the way the ball was flying out there, even Pods would hit a few.

This way, Danks left the game with positive feelings about his outing, and he didn't have to suffer the indignity of leaving the game trailing and then watching the inept offense trying to mount a threat of some sort.

Too bad they can't give Uribe a "loss share" for this one, the Rowand GS was just icing on the cake.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 11:21 PM)
actually, i think all the moves he made that you are criticizing were the correct moves, especially taking Danks out.

Yep, and I was about to criticize him for letting Rowand face a lefty, but Rowand's OPS is 300 pts better against righties this year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)
Yep, and I was about to criticize him for letting Rowand face a lefty, but Rowand's OPS is 300 pts better against righties this year.
Maybe that was the right move but what I can't understand is how our manager and his coaching staff Haven't made enough right moves to facilitate us dropping 16 of the last 18 games.. That just doesn't happen.

How about this......I heard Thornton on Comcast, and he said the pitch call was an inside fastball to Rowand. From watching Rowand play for over five years now, the one pitch he really can handle, especially against a lefty, is something hard and in. Reminds me of how we kept pitching Frank in when that's the only pitch he can handle.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 09:47 PM)

After the game, Ozzie said Jenks was the only righty left anyway. Using him in the 7th would just be silly down a run anyway.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 13, 2007 -> 11:29 PM)
After the game, Ozzie said Jenks was the only righty left anyway. Using him in the 7th would just be silly down a run anyway.

From MLB.com

Following Philadelphia's three-game sweep, Guillen explained Wednesday's relief quandary while sending a message at the same time.

"I have three guys who couldn't go today," Guillen said. "[Nick] Masset went two innings [Tuesday], and he's the type of kid who doesn't have that many innings under his belt and couldn't go.

"[brett] Prinz couldn't get loose after he threw 16 pitches [Tuesday]. He called me in the middle of the game, called down in the middle of the game, and said he couldn't get loose. So did [Dewon] Day.

"Day had a little back soreness and he couldn't get loose either," Guillen added. "I was kind of naked. I went only with four pitchers in the bullpen. One did a good job and that's why I kept Thornton the way I did it."

This kind of stuff always P-O's Guillen and Williams. It wouldn't surprise me if Prinz and Day go down and MacDougal and the next warm body in line come up.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Jun 14, 2007 -> 07:10 AM)
From MLB.com

This kind of stuff always P-O's Guillen and Williams. It wouldn't surprise me if Prinz and Day go down and MacDougal and the next warm body in line come up.

So we probably are going to be seeing Aardsma and MacDougal back here soon...