This is why we have an illegal immigration problem.

NUKE_CLEVELAND

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
Well its not like there coming over here from castles to work like that. They have it just as bad in nothern Mexico, I'd say worse. Towns like Juarez, where an estimated 268 women have been killed since 1993 and slave labor, rape and other such atrocites are the normal. This do to NAFTA.

So we should be pointing the finger at employers, not people trying to escape a harsh reality for the chance to not have that.

We ARE pointing fingers at employers. AND the illegal immigrants. Need to do both.

And the fact that Juarez is a s***hole is not due to NAFTA. That place was a hole well before NAFTA kicked in. Mexican border cities are hellish, have been for a long time.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 05:10 PM)
Well its not like there coming over here from castles to work like that. They have it just as bad in nothern Mexico, I'd say worse. Towns like Juarez, where an estimated 268 women have been killed since 1993 and slave labor, rape and other such atrocites are the normal. This do to NAFTA.

So we should be pointing the finger at employers, not people trying to escape a harsh reality for the chance to not have that.

So why don't we resverse things like Nafta and spend some money to help build econmy in northern Mexico. We spent billions of dollars on a country half way around the world. We can spend money on one right next to us.

First of all, this stuff happened long before NAFTA, so stop that crap before it even starts.

Second, NAFTA actually did draw in business for Mexico. It's too bad that their government is so corrupt that they actually don't invest in their infastructure.

The wages have steadily increased since NAFTA, but it's not NEARLY enough for the common people.

Employers are the issue. Most of us say that here on this board.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 12:17 PM)
First of all, this stuff happened long before NAFTA, so stop that crap before it even starts.

Second, NAFTA actually did draw in business for Mexico. It's too bad that their government is so corrupt that they actually don't invest in their infastructure.

The wages have steadily increased since NAFTA, but it's not NEARLY enough for the common people.

Employers are the issue. Most of us say that here on this board.

Since the start of NAFTA in 1994. The economy has had downturns in production, wages and employment and 22 percent drop in wages. Not to mention the sevre health and safety risks.

Maybe NAFTA isnt causing the harsh conditions, but they are harsh and thats why people are coming here.

I dont support a system that allows people to come here and be treated without labor laws.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
Since the start of NAFTA in 1994. The economy has had downturns in production, wages and employment and 22 percent drop in wages. Not to mention the sevre health and safety risks.

Maybe NAFTA isnt causing the harsh conditions, but they are harsh and thats why people are coming here.

I dont support a system that allows people to come here and be treated without labor laws.

Neither do most of us here. We do NOT, however, want to give them legal CITIZENSHIP status.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 12:10 PM)
"where an estimated 268 women have been killed since 1993"

Not to sound insensitive about the deaths of 268 women but that isn't an alarming number of deaths in a span of 14 years.

WOW,

I can't believe I live on the same border y'all are describing and worked in Reynosa, Matamoros, and Nuevo Laredo. I don't know where to begin.

Yes, there is crime in Mexico border cities, just like every major US city. Gangs, drugs, etc. all come into play. There are places in Chicago most of us would not want to visit, the same with Mexico cities.

NAFTA caused a huge influx of rest of world companies moving to North America, and especially Mexico. Reynosa is home to the largest concentration of Japanese manufacturers outside of Japan. They avoid tariffs on their country of origin b y manufacturing in North America.

At least in my corner of the border, the infrastructure has improved greatly in the past 12 years. Two International bridges have been built, with one more beginning. Highways have been built, local roads improved. The industrial parks have better roads and easier access. Public areas are being painted.

Part of Mexico's problem was allowing countries to plunder and not contribute. For example, Mexico charges a tax on profits. Using the classic Maquilladora model, goods are staged in the US, sent over to Mexico for assembly, them returned to the US for sale. The company "sells" the finished goods to their American division at cost, resulting in zero profit and zero taxes paid. That loophole has been closed to some extent.

Most of the abuses you read about are Mexican companies exploiting their own workers. On the border, most Maquilla managers are US citizens and have the same ethics as you and I. They try to make a difference. With China coming on strong, they are also in a competitive bind and trying to squeeze every penny.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
Not to sound insensitive about the deaths of 268 women but that isn't an alarming number of deaths in a span of 14 years.

:o

but in Iraq, that's ALARMING!

:lol:

I'm sorry, I had to.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 05:51 PM)
WOW,

I can't believe I live on the same border y'all are describing and worked in Reynosa, Matamoros, and Nuevo Laredo. I don't know where to begin.

Yes, there is crime in Mexico border cities, just like every major US city. Gangs, drugs, etc. all come into play. There are places in Chicago most of us would not want to visit, the same with Mexico cities.

NAFTA caused a huge influx of rest of world companies moving to North America, and especially Mexico. Reynosa is home to the largest concentration of Japanese manufacturers outside of Japan. They avoid tariffs on their country of origin b y manufacturing in North America.

At least in my corner of the border, the infrastructure has improved greatly in the past 12 years. Two International bridges have been built, with one more beginning. Highways have been built, local roads improved. The industrial parks have better roads and easier access. Public areas are being painted.

Part of Mexico's problem was allowing countries to plunder and not contribute. For example, Mexico charges a tax on profits. Using the classic Maquilladora model, goods are staged in the US, sent over to Mexico for assembly, them returned to the US for sale. The company "sells" the finished goods to their American division at cost, resulting in zero profit and zero taxes paid. That loophole has been closed to some extent.

Most of the abuses you read about are Mexican companies exploiting their own workers. On the border, most Maquilla managers are US citizens and have the same ethics as you and I. They try to make a difference. With China coming on strong, they are also in a competitive bind and trying to squeeze every penny.

DING DING DING DING!!!! THAT'S why we have a MEXICAN immigration problem...

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 11:58 AM)
Not paying taxes is stealing from the government. At the very least, they are committing theft, probably grand theft. That's not even to mention the security issues, health issues, etc. It may not effect you directly, but it surely costs you money, and it costs some people a lot more.

Our tax system allows for workers in the lower income levels to not pay income taxes. In fact, with various credits, they will take more than they will ever pay. It doesn't matter if they are legal or illegals with false documents. We will provide college educations, child care, health care, etc. for the working poor. We have two groups here. Those who are working with false SS numbers and filing returns and those that are off the books. It will cost us more when these jobs go back on the books.

Illegals also pay, like everyone else, sales taxes, tolls, etc.

Bottom line, poor people cost us all. But I wouldn't want to live in a country that the least amongst us could afford to build. Fixing this problem is going to cost us a hell of a lot more, but it's the right thing to do.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
DING DING DING DING!!!! THAT'S why we have a MEXICAN immigration problem...

In part. The wage and working conditions issue is very complex. When American companies first came across, they could offer better wages than the existing Mexico companies and therefor "stole" all the better workers. This was not acceptable and three decades later a balance is still being sought.

We still have to accept that we had more jobs here than available, willing workers and solve that need.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 01:12 PM)
The murders in Juarez are particularly brutal, FWIW.

Their have been a few around the US that come close, Green River, BTK, etc. But this is brutal.

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 01:22 PM)
To give Texas back to Mexico. That would be a nice start.

Now stick out your tongue :lolhitting

Well yeah, and we'll like give Illinoise back to the Indians

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 7, 2007 -> 01:35 PM)
Now stick out your tongue :lolhitting

Well yeah, and we'll like give Illinoise back to the Indians

Illinoise. I like or how about Illinoize. Texas is a fine state. Its just very hot, although I bet your winters are nice.