Draft signings

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jul 23, 2007 -> 11:07 PM)
If Porcello doesn't sign, will everyone still be pissed we didn't draft him? Yeah, the Tigers will get an additional 1st rounder next year if they don't sign him, so it won't be a total loss for them. But for us, we need as much talent in the minors as we can get, so I don't believe we were in a position to not have a 1st round caliber draftee this year. Btw, I don't think we would have taken a chance on Griffith if we nabbed Porcello.

I'm still pissed. This organization clearly has the money to be able to sign him, just not the balls to do so. And if he didn't sign, then we would get the extra pick next year. Call me crazy but I ain't getting to excited about Poreda, a 21 year old out of college, doing "good" in lower level rookie ball. On top of it all, he is experience arm problems.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsida86 @ Jul 19, 2007 -> 06:56 PM)
Why hasn't Griffith pitched in the minors yet? It's been 2 weeks since he signed.

Here you go...I've also updated my AAP:

There's rarely a day off from the diamond

By JOEY KNIGHT

Published July 26, 2007

ADVERTISEMENT

Sports News Video

TAMPA - The Bristol Va. White Sox have spent three weeks preparing Nevin Griffith for his first professional pitching appearance, but needed far less time to thrust him into full-fledged adulthood.

"They gave me four days to find my own place to live," said Griffith, the former Middleton right-hander taken by the Sox with the 89th overall pick in last month's Major League Baseball first-year player draft.

"I got a one-bedroom apartment. I could have a roommate but I was like, 'Nah, I'll just live by myself.' "

Since signing with the Sox on July 3 and reporting to Bristol - the club's rookie-league affiliate - two days later, Griffith has been conditioning his body and acclimating his mind toward the daily toil of pro baseball.

Though he says he is not slated for his first game appearance until this weekend, Griffith arrives at DeVault Memorial Stadium - Bristol's home field - daily at around 11:15 a.m. for a full day of baseball.

He throws around 45 pitches every other day in bullpen sessions, but lifts weights and shags batting-practice balls daily and is in the dugout every night. Bristol has played eight games in the past seven days and doesn't have a regularly-scheduled day off until Aug. 2.

"We play for two weeks straight and then we have two days off," said Griffith, who lives about 10 blocks from the ballpark. "It's hard. Playing every day is something that's totally new."

Any spark he can inject into the Sox's staff will be welcome at this point. Bristol (10-23) ranks eighth in the nine-team Appalachian League with a 5.70 team ERA.

"I'm doing good," Griffith said. "I haven't pitched yet because they want to take it slow with me; after the draft I took some time off before I signed. ...Everything's going pretty good."

Joey Knight can be reached at (813) 226-3350 or [email protected].

:gosoxretro:

• 2 weeks later...

The Sox agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Charlie Shirek, the 23rd-round selection in the 2007 Draft. Shirek, 21, pitched for the University of Nebraska. He led all Big 12 freshmen with a 3.23 ERA in 2006. 2007, not so good (2-7, 6.39, opponents BA .321). The previous year opponents BA was just .257. Scouting report: Tops out in the low 90s with a heavy sink and can locate four pitches for strikes.