• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^yes.

Some links on the aforementioned Kyle Long story in case anyone missed it:

FSU’s Long Withdraws

Posted Jan. 7, 2009 5:43 pm by Aaron Fitt

Filed under: Around The Nation

Florida State suffered a significant blow today, announcing that freshman lefthander Kyle Long has withdrawn from the school, citing academic concerns. Long, whose father Howie starred for the Oakland Raiders and whose brother Chris was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2008 NFL draft, is built like a football player (6-foot-7, 285 pounds) and has power stuff to match, with a fastball that has topped out at 95 mph in the past. He ranked as the Seminoles’ top recruit this year, though it’s uncertain how much he factored into their plans as a freshman because his secondary stuff is underdeveloped. Still, he was a key building block for the future and probably would have seen time as a freshman on FSU’s young pitching staff.

As for Long’s future, the Tallahassee Democrat is reporting he will transfer to a junior college closer to his home in Virginia. The statement issued by Florida State offers this nugget: "After falling behind academically, Kyle and his family have decided that it is in his best interest at this time to be closer to home while he tried to get back on track academically."

Kyle Long Arrested in Charlottesville

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 09:42 PM

Former St. Anne's Belfield stand-out athlete and the son of NFL Hall of Famer Howie Long is facing drunk driving charges in Charlottesville.

Kyle Long was arrested early Sunday morning after University of Virginia police say they saw him driving the wrong way on 12 and a 1/2 Street and after he failed a pair of sobriety tests.

A police report given to NBC29 shows 20-year-old Kyle Long blew a .10 in a breath test. This arrest comes on the heels of Long's unexpected departure from Florida State University. He left FSU before the baseball season ever began. A Tallahassee paper reports that he'll transfer to a community college close to home.

The left hander with a 95 mile fast ball was considered FSU's top recruit this past year. As a senior in high school, he had a 1.91 ERA, striking out 95 batters in 50 innings. He was also Central Virginia's Player of the Year last season for St. Anne's Belfield.

Well... not links, I don't have the links any more, just the stories.

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Jan 10, 2009 -> 11:30 PM)
^yes.

Some links on the aforementioned Kyle Long story in case anyone missed it:

Well... not links, I don't have the links any more, just the stories.

This kid sounds like kind of a douchebag. Sorta glad that we didn't sign him now.

Erasmo Ramirez was given a minor league deal...I believe he spent some time in the bigs with the rangers...he's a lefty reliever, spent last year in AAA Nashville with the Brewers AAA team...a good buddy of mine works for his agent and told me

Kyle Long is 20 and only a freshman in college??? Aren't most college freshman 17-18? How many grades did he repeat? Doesn't sound too smart to me. Not a surprise though, he is Howie's son.

Edited by JPN366

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 08:39 AM)
Kyle Long is 20 and only a freshman in college??? Aren't most college freshman 17-18? How many grades did he repeat? Doesn't sound too smart to me. Not a surprise though, he is Howie's son.

I was 19 as a college freshman, and I knew of several guys that turned 20 during their freshman year. I don't think that's really that big of an issue.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 10:28 AM)
I was 19 as a college freshman, and I knew of several guys that turned 20 during their freshman year. I don't think that's really that big of an issue.

When I graduated high school, I was barely 18 and most everybody else was 17. Only a handful of the kids were older than me. 19 I can understand, but if you're a 20 year old college freshman, then you were either held back a grade or two, or took some time off after high school.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)
When I graduated high school, I was barely 18 and most everybody else was 17. Only a handful of the kids were older than me. 19 I can understand, but if you're a 20 year old college freshman, then you were either held back a grade or two, or took some time off after high school.

Most I know are 18 going on 19, most likely during the academic year. Of course you get the occasional younger or older person, doesnt seem to big a deal.

Edit: This is for college freshman, not high school seniors.

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 02:12 PM)

I'm one of the youngest of all the people in my grade, and I turned 18 one week after we graduated (and we graduated the 1st week of May - 1st school in the country). Most turn 19 during Freshman year, so being 20 would mean he was held back a year at worst.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 16, 2009 -> 09:39 AM)

I'm pretty sure they waited a year before enrolling him high school to make sure he dominates all the younger kids.

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (BearSox @ Feb 8, 2009 -> 10:29 AM)
maybe that's just how the state he went to school worked? Don't all states have different rules/laws determining when someone is suppossed to start school?

Absolutely, he could have been held back because of his birthdate

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/111734/

Outfielder Michael Restovich was 22 and playing in the Arizona Fall League as a top Twins prospect in October 2001. The whole baseball world seemed to be in front of him.

On the eve of the â€01 World Series opener in Phoenix, the team called Grand Canyon — including a half-dozen Twins — was playing a fall league game in nearby Scottsdale Stadium. Restovich caught a pitch on the fat part of the bat and sent the baseball soaring into a star-filled night.

There was robust applause from a small group from Rochester, Minn.: Michaelâ€s parents, George and Helen; and his two sisters.

Restovich spent the next three seasons playing primarily for the Twins†Class AAA farm club. His manager was Phil Roof.

In the spring of 2005, Roof was on leave from his team as his wife, Marie, underwent a failed, last-ditch attempt at the Mayo Clinic to control her cancer.

Michael was gone from the Twins†organization, but, in response to the Roofs†situation, George Restovichâ€s daughter Anna, a lawyer in her fatherâ€s firm, moved out of her home and in with her parents. That allowed Phil, Marie and Tommy, Marieâ€s younger brother with Down syndrome, to use her place.

“My parents, my sisters and my brother are great people,” Michael said at the time. “Iâ€m a lucky man.”

George Restovich also was dealing with cancer, and it claimed his life in October.

In mid-September, Michael, his wife, Erica, and their young daughter Allison returned from Japan to spend time with George. That was the end of an unfulfilling one-season stay with the Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks.

Restovich batted .223 with three home runs and 17 RBI in only 112 at-bats for the Hawks. He was assigned three times to the minors by manager Sadaharu Oh for what that league calls “readjustment.”

So much for Japan.

Michael now lives in St. Louis, Ericaâ€s hometown. Michael met her in November 1998 at brother George Jr.â€s wedding.

Restovich turned 30 in January. He signed recently with the Chicago White Sox — a minor league contract that comes with a veteranâ€s invitation to big-league spring training.

He is a rock of a man at 6-4 and 250 pounds. He can run and cover ground in the outfield. If he were sitting on a fastball, Michael would hit it hard. But a half-decent breaking ball seemed to be another matter.

Restovich had 103 at-bats in short stays with the Twins from 2002 through 2004. He spent time with Colorado and Pittsburgh in 2005, with the Chicago Cubs in 2006 and with Washington in 2007.

Add it up and he has 268 big-league at-bats, with six home runs, 21 RBI and a .239 average.

“Michael was one of those big guys who was not going to succeed in the big leagues unless there was a team willing to give him 450 at-bats,” said Jim Rantz, the Twins†farm director. “Heâ€s not a bench player. He doesnâ€t have that kind of swing.”

Restovich said he chose the White Sox among several options based on what a baseball vagabond always is seeking: opportunity.

“Itâ€s a situation that looks as though, if I had a good spring, I might have a chance to make the team,” he said. “More important, if that doesnâ€t happen, thereâ€s going to be a chance to play every day in [Class AAA] Charlotte.

“Iâ€m trying not to look too far ahead. If we get to the end of the season, and the production isnâ€t there, weâ€ll have a decision to make. But I think itâ€s going to be a good year.

“Coming back to the States — and also playing for my father — is an inspiration I havenâ€t had before.”

Seems like all those personal problems took a toll on Michael's baseball career. He seems like a very solid minor league option who might be able to possibly make it to the big leagues as an option in September if he preforms well with Charlotte. I hope him the best.

I really like all of our minor league signings so far, Van Boschten (or whatever), Krueger, Restovich, etc. All guys who were once considered top prospects and are loaded with talent, but haven't done much at the major league level.

• 2 weeks later...

Off topic, but I was a 20 year old Freshman. I spent senior year on exchange and had to go back for a credit in the fall. I was a proud super senior. So yeah... I don't think it's that weird. Unless he just failed lots of classes. That's probably not a postive.

Edited by ChesterCopperpot