Aaron Cunningham Traded to Zona for IF Danny Richar

Heads22

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
Day got injured and Aardsma was the best option on the 40 man roster, which is full. Unless you want Vasquez up here, which is possible but might be a bit soon, he was the best option.

Call up Oneli Perez...anyone... Aardsma couldn't get AAA hitters out. What makes ANYONE think a dude with a +6 AAA era is going to do anything but pizz himself back in the show?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 10:17 PM)
Call up Oneli Perez...anyone... Aardsma couldn't get AAA hitters out. What makes ANYONE think a dude with a +6 AAA era is going to do anything but pizz himself back in the show?

What does it even matter at this point? Might as well let the guy workout his problems against major league hitters rather than buy another worthless contract from Charlotte. Aardsma has proven that he can get big league hitters out even if it is only when everything is going right for him, why not let him try to get it back on track at the big league level?

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 08:16 PM)
well Aaron Cunningham is a four-tool player who is what you would call a grinder. Numbers-wise and developemental-wise Cunningham is the better player, so that part may look bad. But KW has only been burned by one trade really in his tenure, so you have to give him the benefit of the doubt here. But Cunningham was one of my favs and I think this one bites us. Cunningham is a 20/20 CF who plays good D and Richar is a solid looking 2B.

KW has been burned in more than 1 trade, but Byrnes is a guy that burned him in one of the worst deals of his tenure. My take is that Cunningham is unlikely to be an impact player in the bigs. Richar, a 24-year old putting up pedestrian numbers in the PCL is even less likely to make an impact. Planning on him being the starting 2B in 2008 doesn't bode well. It's shaping up to be a historically bad season.

i for one do not understand the trade with arz. arz who has of'ers trade for another prospect for the of, unless they are planing a future trade with another team and of'ers are on the table.

so my question is why help them and for what, a 24 infielder who may be ready in 2 years.

i do not like this deal

I'm okay with the trade.

How's that for analysis? :D

Seriously, though, as much as I was beginning to love Cunningham as a prospect, he's still just that: a prospect. Every other reason for feeling the way I do about this trade has already been stated (i.e. OF'ers are easier to come by, Richar fills a more dire need, we need a better backup plan than Getz if Iguchi leaves in FA), so I'll just leave it at that.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 02:29 PM)
Cunningham wasnt exactly dominating his league.

This kid that we picked up, has plus speed, and plays 2nd and SS. This is to get us faster. He is young, and is just about ready to go. This kind of move doesn't upset me at all.

Ditto. Hardly a thrilling trade but maybe not a bad one, me thinks. I'm actually kinda excited about seeing this kid play at SS and maybe alongside Bourgeois at second. Heck, with the way this season has gone even this minor trade gets me excited.

OK.

I've only heard of Cunningham because I read this site. Outside of this thread, I've never seen any stats he has put up. I've never seen him play, I've never heard him play via internet radio, nor have I seen his photograph.

This is the first time I've heard the name Danny Richar. Sounds like RICH-AR, like..."THE SOX JUST GOT RICHER, YEAH~!" Besides for that, I know nothing about this fiery youngster who from what I gather can run quickly. Will he be on the Sox in 2007? I don't know. Will he be a starter in 2008? I don't know. So, in conclusion, this trade does not excite me nor does it make me sad.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 12:49 AM)
OK.

I've only heard of Cunningham because I read this site. Outside of this thread, I've never seen any stats he has put up. I've never seen him play, I've never heard him play via internet radio, nor have I seen his photograph.

This is the first time I've heard the name Danny Richar. Sounds like RICH-AR, like..."THE SOX JUST GOT RICHER, YEAH~!" Besides for that, I know nothing about this fiery youngster who from what I gather can run quickly. Will he be on the Sox in 2007? I don't know. Will he be a starter in 2008? I don't know. So, in conclusion, this trade does not excite me nor does it make me sad.

But you know he's fiery. Interesting.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 12:53 AM)
But you know he's fiery. Interesting.

That's right.

Don't forget to factor in this is the first move in the FIRE SALE~! So, as you can tell I'm on to something. Baseball America has nothing on me.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 01:11 AM)
So when does Egbert get dealt?

I'm going to assume you we're asking young Heads, and not myself.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
He will HAVE to improve his defense, his head in rear plays will not be tolerated in the major leagues. He had 13 errors which is a high number.

That's what I'm worried about with him, which was why I thought the trade was a little suprising.

Anything else you can tell us about him BHAM (since you're really the only one who's seen him play), in terms of will he ever be starting second baseman in the majors?

From the Trib;

Sox infielder and former Diamondback Alex Cintron described Richar as a flashy, confident player. But Richar was deemed expendable by the Diamondbacks, who recently optioned infielder Alberto Callaspo to Tucson and have favorable reports on second baseman Emilo Bonifacio, who has 20 stolen bases at Double-A Mobile.

In the short run, Richar will shore up a shallow middle infield at the upper minor-league level. Andy Gonzalez was promoted three weeks ago. Pedro Lopez stagnated and was claimed on waivers by Cincinnati last month, and Robert Valido is batting .185 at Double-A Birmingham.

"I expect to hear about [Richar] next spring training," said manager Ozzie Guillen, who added that he wasn't involved in the trade. "Right now we're kind of short in the middle infield, and I can see the reason [for] the trade."

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 02:09 PM)
You're welcome.

I think this just means that the Sox don't feel that they can re-up with Iguchi, or have found so through talks. I hope we can move Gooch for a package of talent.

I wouldn't want them to even think about reupping for Guchi. I really really enjoyed his first couple years with the club, but I don't want him back.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
Richar seems like a decent replacement for Gooch next year. Somebody who is fast and can play 2nd/SS. I would have love the deal more if its not Cunningham traded. I guess we Anderson and Sweeney ahead of him so we can trade him and get somebody close to being ready to play 2nd or short for the future.

Anderson probably isn't rated higher than Cunningham by the Sox (call it a hunch). However, I'm sure scouts prefer Anderson's tools to Cunninghams (and they should cause Anderson has a lot of a lot more ability, but he also has a horrific swing).

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 03:15 PM)
You never heard that Willie Harris was supposed to be a regular? How long have you been following the White Sox? He actually was a regular for a little while.

Hell, the Sox dumped Ray Durham for so cheap soley so they could give Harris regular at bats. The guy was very highly thought of by the org. I know I was a huge fan of his and I still think Oz and the Sox did a horrible job with him (and I never have thought Ozzie is that good when it comes to young position players and helping them develop).

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
more evidence of how poorly we have drafted for the last four or five years.

Speaking of which, I was looking back at the first five rounds of the Sox past few drafts and wow they were terrible (until the draft that involved Russell and a few others after the first round or two).

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
Cunningham hasn't played CF all year.

I think he projects more as a RF'er myself. He could play CF, but he will only be average there. He has the ability to be a bit above average in right.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 08:30 PM)
KW has been burned in more than 1 trade, but Byrnes is a guy that burned him in one of the worst deals of his tenure. My take is that Cunningham is unlikely to be an impact player in the bigs. Richar, a 24-year old putting up pedestrian numbers in the PCL is even less likely to make an impact. Planning on him being the starting 2B in 2008 doesn't bode well. It's shaping up to be a historically bad season.

No way was the Vazquez deal that bad and this is coming from someone that backed and talked and wrote about Chris Young before he was ever one of the top prospects in baseball.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 07:44 PM)
(and I never have thought Ozzie is that good when it comes to young position players and helping them develop).

Now that's a good point you make there Jason.

If we're going to rebuild, is Ozzie the guy you want managing with that route? Are you worried about the futures of say Josh Fields? Is he going to end up the next Anderson IF he doesn't automatically produce solid numbers from this season?

I suppose that could be a major reason why the Sox have drafted a lot of pitching of the past few seasons. Draft it, develop it, and then fill your lineup mainly through free agency and trades with veteran ballplayers. The only problem with that, they get old, and as we've seen this season their play won't be the same as previous seasons.

Richar seems like decent depth at 2b, maybe SS if the sox can work on his defense in AAA. In case of an injury, there wasn't anyone to play 2b. And with Cintron gone next yr, Richar gives the sox a possible UTL guy. Yet no way would I expect him to be starting in 2008 for the sox.

If Iguchi isn't re-signed, others full-time options are out there such as Castillo that make much more sense than Richar.

Ok, so we trade Aaron Cunningham, an outfielder with 20 HR+ potential who's very good with the bat and takes walks for a 24-year-old coming into his own after playing in the California and Pacific Coast leagues.

Yes, this is a great trade, absolutely wonderful. If this is any indication of the talent we're going to be getting in our firesale, I might as well start making the effigy of Kenny Williams to burn when I get back to Chicago in September.

I'm sure I don't have to remind you baseball sages about this, but, I will anyway.

Many times, clubs are very, very hesitant to trade for A-ball talent. The reason: more times than not the team trading the A-baller has discovered some type of development they are very concerned about and hope to deal the problem away before opposing scouts catch wind of what is really going on.

If you were to ask scouts from around the league, each and every one would express their hesitation to trade for such young A-ball talent.

That said, most clubs are not exactly thrilled with trading for someone much older than the average age of the league he is in anyway.

Pick your poison. Like I said, to me, this is nothing to look twice at.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
White Sox acquire infielder Richar from Arizona for outfielder Cunningham

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox have acquired infielder Danny Richar from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for outfielder Aaron Cunningham. Richar will be optioned to Class AAA Charlotte.

Richar, 24, hit .285 (76-267) with 20 doubles, four triples, eight home runs, 46 RBI and 40 runs scored in 66 games with Class AAA Tucson in 2007. He appeared in 50 games at second base and 16 at shortstop.

The 6-foot-0, 170-pounder ranked second last season in the Southern League in runs scored (79), fourth in hits (140) and tied for fourth in average (.292) and was named to the league's mid-and-postseason All-Star Teams.

Richar owns a .281 (678-2,410) average over six minor-league seasons in the Diamondbacks organization.

Cunningham, 21, batted .294 (74-252) with 12 doubles, five triples, eight home runs and 37 RBI in 67 games with Class A Winston-Salem in 2007.

The 40-man roster now stands at 40.

I'll go down as saying that I think this is a great move for the Sox. I give Kenny props here. This could should be the Sox starting second baseman nect year and he could surprise a lot of people.

He really didn't give up anything - Cunningham has a very small chance to ever become an impact player in the big leagues.

Well the last MIF the D'Backs deemed expendable was a guy who supposedly had a lot less potential than Richar, and he was a man by the name of Dan Uggla.

I personally like this deal, it is more of a need deal but we have a lot of OF's in our system that are similar to Cunningham, and he's still a big if since he's never played above A ball. If Richar can be more consistent on defense, he could help us out IMO.