Willie Harris

greg775

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was mentioning in another thread that IMO, he adds little ... if anything. I mean, the guy tries hard, but can't seem to get it through his head he isn't a home run hitter.

If Phil Rogers is to be believed, he stated in this mornings column to not be surprised to see Singleton coming back in the next few weeks.

Greg, agreed. I can't see staying with those two guys at the top of the order. A little more experience at the top of the order seems imperative.

Problem is, Singleton is no shining star as a leadoff hitter either. He'd add better defense in CF, maybe as a platoon guy with Rowand. But I'd give up very, very little to get Chris back ... as much as he was a good presence in the clubhouse.

I'd much rather see Willie at 2nd than DLo. Agreed that Willie cannot hit, but do we have a 2nd baseman that CAN hit? DLo was just a one-month wonder and sucks defensively no matter where he plays. Willie is more sure-handed defensively and loves to play. He's one of the few on the team that knows how to bunt, and when he finally DOES get on-base, he can do alotta good things.

I'd much rather see Willie at 2nd than DLo. Agreed that Willie cannot hit, but do we have a 2nd baseman that CAN hit? DLo was just a one-month wonder and sucks defensively no matter where he plays. Willie is more sure-handed defensively and loves to play. He's one of the few on the team that knows how to bunt, and when he finally DOES get on-base, he can do alotta good things.

Thank you for saying this. I couldn't have put it better myself.

And no, I do not want Singleton back. Please Oakland, keep him. :o

I really don't have an oppionion on Harris. But he was a top prospect 2 to 3 years ago with the O's, and acording to Hawk and DJ, Walker(Hitting coach) has said that Harris will be a very good hitter in the league.

So maybe we should give him some more time.

I really don't have an oppionion on Harris. But he was a top prospect 2 to 3 years ago with the O's, and acording to Hawk and DJ, Walker(Hitting coach) has said that Harris will be a very good hitter in the league.

Dude hawk says everyone the sox bring up is the next coming..........TOTALLY ignore what he says.

Dude hawk says everyone the sox bring up is the next coming..........TOTALLY ignore what he says.

Agree, on that. But the only reason I brought this up was because it's supposed to be Greg Walker who said it not Hawk and DJ. I really doubt Hawk or DJ would put themselves out on TV like that if it wasn't true.

I was mentioning in another thread that IMO, he adds little ... if anything.  I mean, the guy tries hard, but can't seem to get it through his head he isn't a home run hitter.

If Phil Rogers is to be believed, he  stated in this mornings column to not be surprised to see Singleton coming back in the next few weeks.

I DO NOT want to see Chris Singleton in a White Sox uniform, here's the reason why:

We have to trade with Billy Beane to get him.

Let's just get Castillo from Florida.

CWSOX45

I was mentioning in another thread that IMO, he adds little ... if anything.  I mean, the guy tries hard, but can't seem to get it through his head he isn't a home run hitter.

If Phil Rogers is to be believed, he  stated in this mornings column to not be surprised to see Singleton coming back in the next few weeks.

I DO NOT want to see Chris Singleton in a White Sox uniform, here's the reason why:

We have to trade with Billy Beane to get him.

Let's just get Castillo from Florida.

CWSOX45

Why in the HELL would we want singleton back? Phil Rogers is a moron.

I'm not saying I want Singleton back nor am I commenting on Phil Rogers' intellect. Just saying what was in the paper this morning. Rogers offered no opinion on the value of bringing back Singleton, just that his sources indicated it was possible.

He also said Rick Hahn was going down to Charlotte to look at Aaron Miles first hand.

I'm not saying I want Singleton back nor am I commenting on Phil Rogers' intellect.  Just saying what was in the paper this morning.  Rogers offered no opinion on the value of bringing back Singleton, just that his sources indicated it was possible.

He also said Rick Hahn was going down to Charlotte to look at Aaron Miles first hand.

The sox need to give Miles a try and trade for a CF. OR give Rowand a real shot, and trade for alomar. Jimenez, Harris and singleton are not answers. I REALLY doubt the sox are considering Singleton. They make stupid moves, but they arent THAT stupid.

I'm not saying I want Singleton back nor am I commenting on Phil Rogers' intellect.  Just saying what was in the paper this morning.  Rogers offered no opinion on the value of bringing back Singleton, just that his sources indicated it was possible.

The sox need to give Miles a try and trade for a CF. OR give Rowand a real shot, and trade for alomar. Jimenez, Harris and singleton are not answers. I REALLY doubt the sox are considering Singleton. They make stupid moves, but they arent THAT stupid.

Why can't we get Ichiro or Matsui ** or Cameron? They each make about 7 Mill and are much better than 36yo Alomar since I still think Jimenez's bat will come around, his eye and swing are simply to good to sump like this as long as he stops overswinging. He is cheap too.

(**- When Soriano, Jeter, Giambi, Posada and Bernie get on a hot streak--and they will--he will get on an RBI streak and will probably finish with 130-140, he is a money player. The knack on him eaerly on was he couldn't hit two-seamers his first time aorund since they barely throw them in Japan, but he has become noticeably better at it and will only improve...)

Matsui isn't worth that hefty price tag he's pulling around. And how can you say he's a "money player" after only 3 months? I'd really like to know...

How? He's never seen these pitchers before, he barely saw any fastball wiht sinking action on it, he's been struggling since the beginning of the year....AND YET HE IS STILL ON PACE FOR A WHOPPING 130 RBI'S OUT OF THE 5-6TH SPOT OM THE LINE-UP...and tha with Bernie Williams on DL, with Soriano/Jeter/Posada/Ventura mired in month-long slumps and with Giambi not having what you might call a great year just yet...Do you know how good he will be once Yankees are clicking, with significantly more base-runners and better line-up protection (read: more mistakes to crush)....I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't finish with 130-140 RBIs.....consdiering it's his first year, is it not "money" in your book?

As soon as he familiarizes himself with the league and with a two-seam fastball (he's been maing progress lately), he will have NO WEAKNESS in his swing, literally. Is he going to put up Bonds-ian #s? Of crouse no, but OPS of 900-950+ and a TON of RBIs is not out of the question--from your CF'er at that!

I say at 6-7 Mill (less than R. Alomar), he is absolutely worth the "gamble"....think of the Asian fan base this team will have....

(Too bad Yankees would never give Godzilla up. And neither would M's Ichiro. Cameron, on the other hand, can be had. )

I don't think comparing him to Alomar is the way to go about supporting a Matsui acquisition.

Don't think he's worth that money and i don't think it's our biggest need right now either, or for the future, with the make up of this team.

Matsui is a good player, sure, but labeling him a money player is a big premature after 3 months in the league. How can you not put up numbers in that Yankee lineup?

Just as you say that Matsui will "figure things out"...well, pitchers around the league will also start to "figure him out"...just as they have done with Ichiro for periods of time until he adjusts yet again...it works both ways.

Beane is shopping Singleton because he has found a bargain player by the name of Eric Byrnes. Byrnes hit for the cycle today, which means he will do anything in his power to get something for Singleton.

CWSOX45

I don't think comparing him to Alomar is the way to go about supporting a Matsui acquisition.

It was nothinng but a sub-point. I just think he is that good and as long as JR is opening his wallet...

Just as you say that Matsui will "figure things out"...well, pitchers around the league will also start to "figure him out"...just as they have done with Ichiro for periods of time until he adjusts yet again...it works both ways.

Have you seen any of his recent at bats, even with half of Yankes either on DL, just from the DL or in huge slumps? The dude is absolutely CLUTCH (61 ribbies) and only will get better with more runners on and better line-up protection....And you can't compare the huge adjustemnts he had to make in a completely different style league/country to relatively routine changes the league has been makng on him. As soon as he sees enough two-seamers and tweaks his swing a bit, he will have no major weaknesses. Period. He will be an All-Star LF/CF for Yanks in the next 4-5 years IMO.

His contract is not that huge.

(Why are you so afraid to take a stance on the issue? Saying "Mark Prior is future HOF'er" doesn't in fact mean it's a 101% foregone conclusion just like saying that "Matsui will be a really good hitter and is a money player right now after only 4 months in a foreign environment, under super-pressure not only from NY fans but also from his homeland" doesn't rule out the possibilit that he may in fact be a bust......BUT if I was a betting man, the odds are definately on my side at this point. It goes without saying that ANYTHING can happen, injuries, mental breakdowns, etc...and I am not afraid to be wrong in the long run, such is reality and such is human nature.)

Beane is shopping Singleton because he has found a bargain player by the name of Eric Byrnes.  Byrnes hit for the cycle today, which means he will do anything in his power to get something for Singleton.

CWSOX45

Now Byrnes is the guy I would be sceptical about--he is not as good as the stats suggest. Better than Singleton OBP-wise, but is playing over his head even more so than either Lowell, Renteria or Mora. He is Jeremy Giambi of last year/Bill Mueller of this year but with better defense, younger and cheaper.

Beane is shopping Singleton because he has found a bargain player by the name of Eric Byrnes.  Byrnes hit for the cycle today, which means he will do anything in his power to get something for Singleton.

CWSOX45

Now Byrnes is the guy I would be sceptical about--he is not as good as the stats suggest. Better than Singleton OBP-wise, but is playing over his head even more so than either Lowell, Renteria or Mora. He is Jeremy Giambi of last year/Bill Mueller of this year but with better defense, younger and cheaper.

There is no reason to doubt Eric Byrnes. After seeing him play in the minors a couple years back I knew he was going to be a good player.

Byrnes works and hustles his ass off every play. He's the type of guy I want on my team.

As for Renteria, he's always been a solid player. I'm not quite sure what you mean by playing over his head, the Marlins organization always believed that he'd put up the current numbers that he's putting up this year.

CWSOX45

The Sox would be silly to pick up a CF who is not a big pickup. No bigtime CF's are really available though. I am content with Aaron Rowand and Willie Harris sharing time in CF. Rowand has actually startd hitting, who knew. 2 HR in last 2 games.