hello there

debdud

mostly a tribe fan...but love baseball in general. Wasn't sure where to say hi or make my first post, so

thought I'd do it this way...and something I wrote for somewhere else today.....and just say enjoyed reading your site......your views....and its been fun

Why I love Baseball

Baseball%20Field%20G.JPG

Baseball in a lot of ways...looking back...saved my life. It always gave me a reason to keep going....gave me something to focus on...and in a world that was crumbling down around me daily....it gave me a glimpse into the outside world.

I grew up in a very abusive atmosphere and the Tribe became that thing...I could look forward to. I would watch any game I could....I would listen to doubleheaders on the radio. I collected all their cards and then I'd mail them to the organization, in care of whatever player and they'd sign them and send them back to me. I had a shoebox full of autographs.

And I was very athletic. It became a passion. I grew up in Cleveland and we would play in the streets using the sewers for bases.....from the time we got up till late into the nite under the streetlights.

The boys always came and got me before they got my brother and I played shortstop till I get in high school on boys teams.

Playing in tournaments I can still remember the sound of the dirt crunching when the field was glazed with ice first thing in the morning....or they way it would cake to the sweat when it was dry and hot.

And as an adult.....the Tribe has still always been a part of my life. The names and the players come and go....but not that thrill of going to a game. I took care of my grandmother up until she died...and right up till the end...each nite we'd have a root beer float and watch the Indians. She may have been a bigger fan than me. And those memories I cherish.

I still play when I can...for fun....and still enjoy it................but to me it will always be more than a game or a sport.

QUOTE(Deb @ Jun 16, 2007 -> 09:02 PM)
mostly a tribe fan...but love baseball in general. Wasn't sure where to say hi or make my first post, so

thought I'd do it this way...and something I wrote for somewhere else today.....and just say enjoyed reading your site......your views....and its been fun

And as an adult.....the Tribe has still always been a part of my life. The names and the players come and go....but not that thrill of going to a game. I took care of my grandmother up until she died...and right up till the end...each nite we'd have a root beer float and watch the Indians. She may have been a bigger fan than me. And those memories I cherish.

I still play when I can...for fun....and still enjoy it................but to me it will always be more than a game or a sport.

Nice! I especially like the part about your grandmother. It's neat how baseball can bridge the generation gap. Welcome indeed.

That purity and love of the game are so hard to find anymore. It seems today that people want instant gratification and love from their sports teams, and people have forgotten what it is all about. Welcome aboard and thanks for the great reminder of why we should be watching baseball. :)