Kansas City

briguy27

KC is very boring. I go there about 5x year.

The best thing going is the BBQ. Try Jack's Stack--good stuff.

The Plaza district is where all the main restaurants and some of the bars are--although it's more like a suburb than a city. The park itself is in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. In the city itself with few exceptions there's not much going on at night.

But then again, if you're going to a game, you can follow the herd and ask around.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
KC is very boring. I go there about 5x year.

The best thing going is the BBQ. Try Jack's Stack--good stuff.

The Plaza district is where all the main restaurants and some of the bars are--although it's more like a suburb than a city. The park itself is in the middle of a field in the middle of nowhere. In the city itself with few exceptions there's not much going on at night.

But then again, if you're going to a game, you can follow the herd and ask around.

oh ok thanks. anybody know the names of any good malls with a finish line or champs in it..?

QUOTE(briguy27 @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
oh ok thanks. anybody know the names of any good malls with a finish line or champs in it..?
the Royal fans are terrific.. I love their park, the food and at the time, 03, the 5 dollar parking. It was a little hard for me to find my way around the city. So ask for info maybe a driver you'll have fun. The negro league hall of fame museum is located there.

Ill be there at the same time, the family and I are going Friday and Sunday...As for things to do...

Negro League Museum

Jazz Hall of Fame

Tours of Kauffman Stadium

Worlds/Oceans of Fun Amusement Park

National World War I Museum

Arabia Steamboat Museum

Hallmark Visitors Center

KC Riverfest (while you are there)

Boulevard Brewing Company

Harley Davidson Assembly Plant and Visitors Center

The Woodlands (Greyhound Racing)

KC isnt as boring as you think, just have to find what to do!!!

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ill be there at the same time, the family and I are going Friday and Sunday...As for things to do...

Negro League Museum

Jazz Hall of Fame

Tours of Kauffman Stadium

Worlds/Oceans of Fun Amusement Park

National World War I Museum

Arabia Steamboat Museum

Hallmark Visitors Center

KC Riverfest (while you are there)

Boulevard Brewing Company

Harley Davidson Assembly Plant and Visitors Center

The Woodlands (Greyhound Racing)

KC isnt as boring as you think, just have to find what to do!!!

how much does that cost?

I'm going to at least one game that weekend too. It should be good times. I like the park though it could use an update. As for KC itself, it's a nice area but I haven't heard about that much to do other than look at fountains and eat barbeque.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 12:17 AM)
I'm going to at least one game that weekend too. It should be good times. I like the park though it could use an update. As for KC itself, it's a nice area but I haven't heard about that much to do other than look at fountains and eat barbeque.

I did a little growing up there and I've recently been to visit family a few times and, well...there isn't much going on in downtown KC.

Go a little bit south and there's the American Jazz Museum (which shares a building with the Negro League Hall of Fame) and the 18th and Vine Jazz District. The District itself wasn't much to speak of last I was there, about 3 years ago. It was a few façades of old jazz clubs, most notably the Hey Hey, a regular haunt of the Basie band, Jay McShann, and Charlie Parker in the 1930s and 40s. The Jazz Museum is a good place to spend a couple of hours, although if you're into jazz it's probably not much you don't already know. (I used to spin swing music for dancers).

Westport is a cool little 'hood south of downtown which is like a tamer Wicker Park, the Plaza is a little farther north for ritzier, oft-touristy hangs--think a miniaturized River North.

For barbecue, Gates has the best sauce in KC, although I'd side with the Smokestack for the best meat. Arthur Bryant's and Jack Stack you can't go wrong. Stroud's is great for fried chicken.

If you've got more than a few hours to kill, I'd suggest hauling about an hour west to Lawrence, KS and cozy up to a few Boulevard Wheats in any of the bohemian dives of Massachusetts St. Lots of bands stop here to play, one of my favorites being on off-beat antifolk duo by the name of Drakkar Sauna.

The last time I was at Royals Stadium was about 15 years ago. I remember going to games as a kindergartener in the early 80s and thinking the stadium was too clean.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 02:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

according a poll they did on espn.com, fans voted kauffman to be the most underrated park in the mlb, so i dont think it needs an update. however, u and the league think they do need an update, since by 2010 they will have the park totally renevated

The bar district in KC is Westport.

There's a good bar in a hotel across the street from the stadium.

Come to Lawrence if you are a basketball fan and want to see the KU museum of hoops.

It's a normal college town, nice downtown.

The Plaza is nice in KC if you like to shop at nice places and/or buy expensive gifts.

Good bbq like they said. Gates in KC or Grandaddies in Lawrence.

Golden Ox is a good piece of beef in KC.

p.s. Are we going to win at a .200 clip the rest of the way because of our bullpen?

I'm serious.

We are going to lose 8 of every 10 games if this continues.