Buehrle Wants a Five Year Contract

Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
They can build a rotation around Buehrle, Garland and Danks and get whatever they can for Javy and Jose.

This is the most important piece of your post. With these three guys we have some great young talent that can pitch for years and keep this team in games. Injecting one prospect and perhaps one FA signing and we dont have to worry about our rotation for several years.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 01:25 PM)
If you are going to compete for a championship, you better have a decent bullpen, and relying on a bunch of guys used to losing is playing with fire.

If you're going to compete for a championship, you'd better have very good starting pitching, a lineup that can drive in runs, good defense, and depth on your bench. The Sox had all four of those going into this season, and that's more than you can say for most other teams.

While I agree to a certain extent that Kenny should've done more with the 'pen, it's not reasonable to ask that the Sox be absolutely stacked EVERYWHERE. And I seriously doubt that the '05 incarnations of Hermanson, Cotts, and Politte would matter much on a team whose lineup struggles to score three or four runs a game.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 04:02 PM)
They can build a rotation around Buehrle, Garland and Danks and get whatever they can for Javy and Jose.

We are all in agreeement here, they need to figure things out quickly, if we get left with little/nothing for these guys and they walk we will really be setting ourselves back. Keek Buehrle trade the other guys. Crede is on the market as soon as he comes back also.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
There's not a chance in hell we can afford both Buehrle and Garland.

There is a chance if we deal Contreras, because I know how KW loves Javy. That'd subtract quite a bit of money, and with others (such as Dye) leaving we'll have some money to spend.

5 years, 70-80 million dollars is acceptable for Buehrle. I can see Garland being replaced easily, especially if we deal Dye and Contreras at the deadline for some young guys.

Maybe I'm completely off, but it sounded today like Buehrle wants to stay here. Especially since he's starting a family around here.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
I also liked Otsuka from Texas. He was available, but makes over the minimum so no dice.

You have to be kidding me. Kenny Williams has ALWAYS gone cheap with his bullpen. The main six guys in the 2005 bullpen -- Hermanson, Politte, Cotts, Jenks, Marte and Vizcaino -- averaged just a hair over $1 million dollars. Hermanson, Politte -- these guys weren't considered big relievers. Hell, IIRC, people b****ed that Kenny went cheap even when he DID go into the free agent market for relievers like those two.

Oh, and BTW, Speier got a four year, $16 million dollar deal from Anahiem. I'm sorry, but it would have been dumb as hell to outbid Anahiem for a very-good-but-not-elite, 33 year old reliever.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)
You have to be kidding me. Kenny Williams has ALWAYS gone cheap with his bullpen. The main six guys in the 2005 bullpen -- Hermanson, Politte, Cotts, Jenks, Marte and Vizcaino -- averaged just a hair over $1 million dollars. Hermanson, Politte -- these guys weren't considered big relievers. Hell, IIRC, people b****ed that Kenny went cheap even when he DID go into the free agent market for relievers like those two.

Oh, and BTW, Speier got a four year, $16 million dollar deal from Anahiem. I'm sorry, but it would have been dumb as hell to outbid Anahiem for a very-good-but-not-elite, 33 year old reliever.

Actually he paid Hermanson $2 million a year. Politte got $1 million, Vizcaino 1.3 million, Shingo 1 million, Marte 1.25 million. And that was with a payroll a lot lower than it is now. Pitching wins. The bullpen is pathetic and since I'm an idiot and never bought KW's everyone throws 97 the bullpen is awesome BS I'm the fool. Pretty dumb getting a guy who gets people out, while you send pitcher after pitcher out there who either can't throw the ball over the plate or get anyone out. Good argument.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
Cause I know all.

Was it you that told me when I was talking doomsday awhile back about our offense being bad and Konerko, especially -- someone said to me, "He won't [have another year like 2003]" and I said, "He's having it and there's precedent" and I think it was you that said Konerko wouldn't have such a bad year. Was it?

I don't think Buehrle will have a bad year this year.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 11:15 PM)
Actually he paid Hermanson $2 million a year. Politte got $1 million, Vizcaino 1.3 million, Shingo 1 million, Marte 1.25 million.

Again, I said average -- the average of the top six guys I mentioned were making a tad more than $1 million dollars a piece.

The bullpen is pathetic and since I'm an idiot and never bought KW's everyone throws 97 the bullpen is awesome BS I'm the fool.

Didn't say that but if you want to think that, not my problem.

Pretty dumb getting a guy who gets people out

Yep, at four years, $16 million.

Good argument.

You don't even know what my argument is.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 06:19 PM)
Was it you that told me when I was talking doomsday awhile back about our offense being bad and Konerko, especially -- someone said to me, "He won't [have another year like 2003]" and I said, "He's having it and there's precedent" and I think it was you that said Konerko wouldn't have such a bad year. Was it?

That was most certainly me. And you definitely won that argument. What are the odds of me being wrong twice though???

Don't answer that. :P

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 06:19 PM)

ahh, but let's be fair to Paulie. In the first half in the past 3 odd years...

2003 - .197/.267/.300/.568

2005 - .249/.349/.479/.828

2007 - .238/.333/.416/.749

It's slowly and steadily improving. I think Paulie will still end up around .280/.360/.540/.900, but what he does in the second half won't change where the Sox are in the first half.

Edited by witesoxfan

The problem with the whole sox against giving pitchers deals more than 3 years thing is that Buehrle isn't the type of pitcher this idea protects the team from. The whole 3 years thing is basically a good idea to protect against all those power pitchers throwing the heck out the ball and their arms. Guys like Kerry Wood, Bartolo Colon, Randy Johnson, AJ Burnett, etc. In which case I agree dont offer these power arms more than 3 years because as history has shown it is very likely they will break down and be injured for extended periods of time. The sox did a good job with this not offering Colon 4 years like the Angels did after 2003.

The problem is Buehrle is exactly the opposite of this theory of 3 year contracts etc. If the sox don't like offering longer contracts to pitchers because they are worried about their durability, well than I think they are confused with who Buehrle is. If there was going to be one exception to the 3 years rule it would be Mark Buehrle (OK maybe Maddux too). Buerhle is far from a power pitcher with the likely potential for arm troubles that we saw from recent free agents like Colon and Burnett, and more like the above mentioned Greg Maddux. These finesse pitchers, while they sometimes struggle to strike guys out or keep the ball from being put in play, are the most durable type of pitchers in baseball. So essentially, the last reason the sox should give for not offereing MB more than 3 years should be one based on durability. we all know his track record we all know Buehrle eats innings and is definatly a workhouse that stays healthy. If the sox dont want to offer Mark 5 Years 65 Mil or whatever becuase they think they can get a better pitcher for that then fine, but we dont want to hear about this 3 year contract business anymore with Mark. Some people think with the hitter friendly park and average defense the sox have on the field a finesse guy isn't what they need for the next 5 years and thats fine. If a power arm like a Brad Penny on the market is what you want then go get him, but don't give me this business about Buehrle and 3 years crap it does not apply.

PS. Even if the sox want Penny, a guy you definatly do not want to give more than 3 years too, forget about it. If Ted Lily and get 4 years and Gil Meche 5 years Penny can get the same if not better. So there is no way the sox get any quality arm, power or finesse on a 3 year deal.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 04:27 PM)
The problem with the whole sox against giving pitchers deals more than 3 years thing is that Buehrle isn't the type of pitcher this idea protects the team from. The whole 3 years thing is basically a good idea to protect against all those power pitchers throwing the heck out the ball and their arms. Guys like Kerry Wood, Bartolo Colon, Randy Johnson, AJ Burnett, etc. In which case I agree dont offer these power arms more than 3 years because as history has shown it is very likely they will break down and be injured for extended periods of time. The sox did a good job with this not offering Colon 4 years like the Angels did after 2003.

The problem is Buehrle is exactly the opposite of this theory of 3 year contracts etc. If the sox don't like offering longer contracts to pitchers because they are worried about their durability, well than I think they are confused with who Buehrle is. If there was going to be one exception to the 3 years rule it would be Mark Buehrle

This is absolutely correct.

I read today that supposedly Buehrle is seeking $70M for 5yrs. If that's what he's really asking, it should be a no-brainer for the Sox to re-sign him today. By the end of that contract, $14M per year will be a bargain for a pitcher of Mark's calibur.

What's "worth the money"? That is: let's say Colon wins a Cy Young in 05 and leads the Angels to the World Series and throws two shutouts in the Series and wins Series MVP but then gets hurt and never pitches for them again. Was it worth it?

How about Maddux, Glavine over the years? I don't know how long each contract they've ever signed has been, but they've been worth their contracts. Smoltz. Randy Johnson's been worth his contracts, hasn't he? Not necessarily the latest, but he's been worth most of his contracts.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 04:35 PM)
This is absolutely correct.

I read today that supposedly Buehrle is seeking $70M for 5yrs. If that's what he's really asking, it should be a no-brainer for the Sox to re-sign him today. By the end of that contract, $14M per year will be a bargain for a pitcher of Mark's calibur.

Where'd you read that?