White Sox vs. Marlins, 6/19/07 (L)

knightni

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
So now we start worrying about Danks?

This is just about the time you expect a rookie to struggle a bit. Scouts start to come up with a plan of attack by now. So the kid needs to make another adjustment. He will have a dead arm period in about August that a lot of rookie have.

He needs to use that changeup more and more to offset his fastball.

And he really needs to get that cutter into his arsenal.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:20 PM)
So now we start worrying about Danks?

I guess I will. I was gonna give him time because he is a rookie. He just throws too many pitches, be it control problems or he gets knocked around, and is done after 5 and our pen comes in. That isn't cutting it.

If we are serious about contending, we have to send him down, right? Gio, Haeger, or Floyd?

If we are selling, have him tough it out.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:23 PM)
I guess I will. I was gonna give him time because he is a rookie. He just throws too many pitches, be it control problems or he gets knocked around, and is done after 5 and our pen comes in. That isn't cutting it.

If we are serious about contending, we have to send him down, right? Gio, Haeger, or Floyd?

If we are selling, have him tough it out.

Contending. That made me spit out my pop.

LOL

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:25 PM)
It seems like almost every AB he is at 1-0. 2-1 counts, and for a guy with stuff that doesn't overpower anyone, thats not going to get it done.

Pound the zone.

He is about six months away from the control he needs to get the results his stuff dictates.

He needs to keep the ball down, and throw his fastball in and out.

He needs to throw that change low and away.

He needs to throw his hard breaking curve low for the strikeout.

He needs to throw the big bender for a backdoor.

Remember this kid should be in AAA this year, but is doing a pretty damn decent job up here. His polish isnt there yet.

The cutter will be the difference maker. The minute he can pound inside with the cutter like mark. Look out.

Edited by southsideirish71

Another thing about Danks is that he seems to give up a lot of homers. There are times that he looks real good and I guess with a rookie some struggles are expected, but he gives up a lot of homers as does some of our other hurlers.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:30 PM)
I don't think you win many games or show you are meant to stay in the bigs by giving up 3 runs in the first. But, that's just me

Why? Because that has never happened to any pitcher before?? Christ...

Demote Willis now too....he just gave up 4.

f*** yeah Josh!!

Edited by chisox72

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 07:33 PM)
Another thing about Danks is that he seems to give up a lot of homers. There are times that he looks real good and I guess with a rookie some struggles are expected, but he gives up a lot of homers as does some of our other hurlers.

Danks fastball is too straight and too slow not to incorporate his changeup and curveball more. It seems he resorts to it frequently because his control if off with the secondary pitches.