A call to action for Flaxx. . .

Soxy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Flaxx, since this seems to be your official beer thread I have one for you... I had the blue one at a wedding this weekend and WOW!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi%C3%A8res_de_Chimay

Bières de Chimay is a Belgian trappist brewery and cheese maker. The brewery is located inside the abbey Notre-Dame de Scourmont, in the Belgian municipality of Chimay. It produces four trappist beers and four cheeses.

The beers, all top-fermented, are:

Chimay Rouge (Red), 7% ABV dubbel. In the 75 cl bottle, it is known as Première. It is a dark brown colour and has a sweet, fruity aroma. The malt in this beer has a nutty character that goes well with the hints of pepper from the house yeast.

Chimay Bleue (Blue), 9% ABV darker vintage ale. In the 75 cl bottle, it is known as Grande Réserve. This copper-brown beer has a creamy head and a slightly bitter taste. Considered to be the "classic" Chimay ale, it exhibits a considerable depth of fruity, peppery character. The taste continues to evolve and develop with a few years of age, and is extremely popular with the Belgian population.

Chimay Blanche (White), or Chimay Triple, 8% ABV golden tripel. In the 75 cl bottle, it is known as Cinq Cents. This crisp beer bears a light orange colour and a very bitter taste (like most high-density pale-ales), and is the most hopped and dryest of the three.

Chimay Dorée, 4.8% ABV light ale, brewed from the same ingredients as Red, but paler and differently spiced. It is a rare variety, intended only to be drunk at the abbey or at the nearby inn Auberge de Poteaupré which is associated with the abbey. The monks themselves drink this variety rather than the stronger three. There is no official market for Dorée, and the rare bottles which make their way out are through unofficial sources. Even the brewery's own web site makes no mention of this variety.

Damn good stuff the Chimay!! :drink

Brother Theodore does indeed know how to make good beer. And other than the monks who work in commercial operations these guys are the real deal right down to the vow of silence. Then again, they get a daily allotment of four quarts of beere or so, so who has time to talk with all that drinking and an occasional prayer here and there?

My favorite of the three is actually the Cinq Cents (white), but then again in general I gravitate toward the tripels when it comes to the Trappist brews. They are such a deceptively light beer and are an amazing balancing act of body, flavor, and strength.

Kid is at least as gonzo for the Trappist stuff as I am, I'm sure he'd also approve of your noble quest for better brew.

:cheers

I wish I got to enjoy it a little more. I found PA still sells Labatts Candian Ale, which is the 50-50's which are sold up there, relabled for sale in the good old USofA. I had a bunch of those before I tore into the Chimay. Luckily I do have another bottle to enjoy.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)
I wish I got to enjoy it a little more. I found PA still sells Labatts Candian Ale, which is the 50-50's which are sold up there, relabled for sale in the good old USofA. I had a bunch of those before I tore into the Chimay. Luckily I do have another bottle to enjoy.

I have seen Chimay in this area--Trader Joe's usually carries it. So, the next bottle doesn't have to be your last. :)

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 10:18 PM)

You're close enough to Kalamazoo that you should be able to enjoy some of the products of Bell's. Tasty stuff.

QUOTE(Mplssoxfan @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 09:01 AM)
You're close enough to Kalamazoo that you should be able to enjoy some of the products of Bell's. Tasty stuff.

And if you're that close to K-Zoo, then hit up Zeke's in Dowagiac and try about a dozen different gorgeous Belgians. Sometimes their beers taste like they have been manhandled somewhere along the way (oxidized, lightstruck, etc.), but still an impressive bottled beer selection for SW Michigan.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 08:52 AM)
And if you're that close to K-Zoo, then hit up Zeke's in Dowagiac and try about a dozen different gorgeous Belgians. Sometimes their beers taste like they have been manhandled somewhere along the way (oxidized, lightstruck, etc.), but still an impressive bottled beer selection for SW Michigan.

In the spirit of this thread, New Belgium just released Fat Tire in Minnesota. A friend of mine owns a liquor store and sold EIGHT HUNDRED cases of 12 22 oz. bottles in one hour. I like Fat Tire OK, but it's a beer.

I used to think beers like Dos Equis and Heineken were pretty good until I moved to Austin and made a lot of friends who happened to be beer snobs. I guess in college I always drank whatever was free/cheap and never realized the wide array of beers that had so much more flavor to offer.