Lance Broadway

Brian

Was just looking up AAA stats and saw Broadway having a good season. 5-2 with an ERA of 3.21. 33 BB's is way too high obviously, compared to 39 K's.

I know a lot of people here know this already but the ERA stands out because isn't Charlotte a small park?

the lack of K's doesnt translate well into the majors...hes gonna need to miss more bats against better competition....which is why i wouldnt mind the sox "selling high" on him....though i agree i think as he matures a bit the Ks wil increase

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 11:06 PM)
the lack of K's doesnt translate well into the majors...hes gonna need to miss more bats against better competition....which is why i wouldnt mind the sox "selling high" on him....though i agree i think as he matures a bit the Ks wil increase

If you can hit your spots, you can get away with it. I don't know what Broadway looks like, but Garland doesn't strike out many, and he does just fine.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 07:17 AM)
If you can hit your spots, you can get away with it. I don't know what Broadway looks like, but Garland doesn't strike out many, and he does just fine.

yeah, but heavy sinker ballers such as garland, wang, gudain are the exception to that rule...from what i know i dont think broadway falls into that category but i might be wrong

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 10:45 AM)
Broadway as a major leaguer strikes me as more of a Jeremy Sowers than a Jon Garland. Atleast Garland manages to K 110+ hitters per season.

a right handed sowers was actually the exact comparison i was thinking

If Broadway can give the Sox 200 innings with an ERA around the league average every year, then sign me up. That's all I'm hoping for. Oh, well, that, and him & Floyd continuing to pitch well enough for KW to decide that it's time to start selling starters.

I would say that it's very encouraging that Broadway has put up the type of numbers that he has considering he's been developing command of a two-seamer. I think the second half of the season is going to be a very good barometer of how well he and the pitch have progressed. But averaging less than a H/IP with moderate walk totals while developing a primary pitch are very good signs.

QUOTE(SoxnGiants @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 07:55 AM)
I read somewhere in spring training that the Sox were having him develop a 2 seamer. Is he still working on this and does anyone know how he's making out with it?

IIRC, KW was saying that in the offseason, his 2-seamer developed really well and resembled Garland's... But as we learned, KW was a lot of talk this offseason (Massett a "tic" below Jenks)

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 11:43 AM)
I would say that it's very encouraging that Broadway has put up the type of numbers that he has considering he's been developing command of a two-seamer. I think the second half of the season is going to be a very good barometer of how well he and the pitch have progressed. But averaging less than a H/IP with moderate walk totals while developing a primary pitch are very good signs.

This is pretty much how I've thought. In spring training when they were talking about him adding the 2-seamer, I told myself that I wasn't going to pay attention to his stats until after the All-Star break. I'm surprised that he's been able to limit runs as well as he has. I don't know how he's doing it.

Hopefully, you'll see him improve even more in the second half, and post some numbers that make it easy to understand his success.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 11:56 AM)
IIRC, KW was saying that in the offseason, his 2-seamer developed really well and resembled Garland's... But as we learned, KW was a lot of talk this offseason (Massett a "tic" below Jenks)

To be fair Jenks didn't look good in ST and had a rough start to the season so KW probably wasn't that far off.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
To be fair Jenks didn't look good in ST and had a rough start to the season so KW probably wasn't that far off.

Yeah, but KW made that comment before ST I thought, when we first got Massett. I'd like to see the scouting video KW had on Massett.