More Un Human Rights Craziness!

EvilMonkey

Israel gets a permanent inditement while Cuba and Sudan are removed from the Black List. Yeah, right.

http://www.unwatch.org/site/c.bdKKISNqEmG/...773803Dictators Fidel Castro of Cuba and Alexander Lukashenko of Belarus will be celebrating the UN Human Rights Council's likely adoption tomorrow of a reform package that will see both regimes dropped from a blacklist, while Israel is placed under permanent indictment.

Contrary to all the promises of reform issued last year, the proposal released today by Council President Luis Alfonso de Alba targets Israel for permanent indictment under a special agenda item: "Human rights situation in Palestine and other occupied Arab territories," which includes "Human rights violations and implications of the Israeli occupation of Palestine and other occupied Arab territories"; and "Right to self-determination of the Palestinian people." No other situation in the world is singled out -- not genocide in Sudan, not child slavery in China, nor the persecution of democracy dissidents in Egypt and elsewhere. Moreover, the council will entrench its one-sided investigative mandate of "Israeli violations of international law"—the only one not subject to regular review after a set term—by renewing it "until the end of the occupation."

This is not directly related to Alpha's specific post. Living close to the college campus still with a short commute to my job, the college kids are always out rallying and sending out e-mails of abuses going on in foreign countries and discrimination being faced in foreign countries. They keep talking about all these issues in the rest of the world.

Then, I just look to issues of police brutality in Champaign-Urbana (there has been a lot about the Patrick Thompson case, a cop being taken to task for tasering an inmate for no real reason even according to other police that were there, et al.

All politics is local. How can they be for these issues to help people that they never met and cannot see when they cannot/do not go out to help those people whom they can actually see daily in their community?

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 01:29 PM)
This is not directly related to Alpha's specific post. Living close to the college campus still with a short commute to my job, the college kids are always out rallying and sending out e-mails of abuses going on in foreign countries and discrimination being faced in foreign countries. They keep talking about all these issues in the rest of the world.

Then, I just look to issues of police brutality in Champaign-Urbana (there has been a lot about the Patrick Thompson case, a cop being taken to task for tasering an inmate for no real reason even according to other police that were there, et al.

All politics is local. How can they be for these issues to help people that they never met and cannot see when they cannot/do not go out to help those people whom they can actually see daily in their community?

I see what you are saying about acting locally. But I also think that police "brutality" in Chambana is not even sniffing the same level of evil as what these countries are doing.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 10:12 AM)
I see what you are saying about acting locally. But I also think that police "brutality" in Chambana is not even sniffing the same level of evil as what these countries are doing.

i was thinking the same thing

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 10:12 AM)

It's not even related to the post specifically but just about all the people blathering about "This foreign country. I am going to help this place thousands of miles away!" I'm just saying that there are a bunch of people who end up walking over the homeless guy on the corner -- kicking him out of the way, to try to go be charitable to whatever cliche cause hits the news (9/11, Darfur, et al.) It's more of a condemnation of the people who can't get off their rhetoric clogged asses to actually do anything about the local issues they see in front of their faces every day.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 05:29 PM)
It's not even related to the post specifically but just about all the people blathering about "This foreign country. I am going to help this place thousands of miles away!" I'm just saying that there are a bunch of people who end up walking over the homeless guy on the corner -- kicking him out of the way, to try to go be charitable to whatever cliche cause hits the news (9/11, Darfur, et al.) It's more of a condemnation of the people who can't get off their rhetoric clogged asses to actually do anything about the local issues they see in front of their faces every day.

I'm curious if other people feel the same way as me (since this thread has already been hijacked). I usually go to help out at a soup kitchen or donate my money to the United Way instead of handing my money out to the homeless on the street. I just feel uncomfortable with that because I'm not sure of where that money will go.

Anyone feel the same way, or do you have no qualms about giving a bit of money to someone on the street? Maybe I am overreacting.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 08:14 AM)
I'm curious if other people feel the same way as me (since this thread has already been hijacked). I usually go to help out at a soup kitchen or donate my money to the United Way instead of handing my money out to the homeless on the street. I just feel uncomfortable with that because I'm not sure of where that money will go.

Anyone feel the same way, or do you have no qualms about giving a bit of money to someone on the street? Maybe I am overreacting.

if i give a homeless person money i just pretty much assume they will buy booze or drugs with it. but i'm ok with that, if i was homeless i would booze it up too.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 08:14 AM)

I try to have change with me when I'm out so if I happen to see somebody who needs some $, I can use that to give them or if there is a food place nearby, I use it to go get them some food from there.

Then, I also do some work in the local area to help at a few places.

QUOTE(vandy125 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 07:14 AM)

I never give people on the street money - I share your concerns. I give money to specific, reputable charities and organizations, and I donate my time occasionally.