Can We Please

joeynach

How many times did the Marlins score a runner from first on an extra base hit compared to us. Sheesh its like every time they get a runner on first and hit a double they score easily. Is it just me or is that insane. And its not just the marlins I see it all the time against us; Angles, Twins, Indians, etc. All these teams seem to so easily score from first and I cant even remember the last time we did so. I really think this is a problem and KW should address the speed of his roster and OF next year. Sometimes its these suttle nuanceas of a game like having the a guy get a two out walk or hit followed by a double where a run can score that can win or lose you a ballgame.

well, for starters, the Marlins lineup isn't as slow as molasses. Secondly, it seems like the majority of our 2 baggers are down the line. The Marlins hit them into the gaps, which means more time to round the bases.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 04:19 PM)
I'd settle for the Sox scoring runners from 2B on a hit. A runner on 2B is not a runner in scoring position with most of the guys currently on the active roster.

You are 100% right on that one, lets do this. Guys that can for sure score from 2B on a hit get a "X", guys that can sometimes score from 2B on a hit get a "Y", and guys that can score from 1B on an extra base hit get a "Z".

AJ = Y

Hall = Y

Cintron = X

Fields = Y

Iguchi = X

Konerko = Y

Uribe = X

Dye = Y

Mack = X

Terrero = X

Owens = X,Z

Thome = Y

Gonzalez = X

So in summation we have (6/13, 46%) position players who aren't even a default for scoring from 2B on a base hit. We have (7/13, 54%) position players who can actually consistently score a run from 2B on a base hit. And we have (1/13, 8%) of our position players can score from first on an extra base hit.

The Marlins scored a runner from first 4 times with 3 different players in this series in one of the smallest outfields in baseball. Hermedia, Willingham, Caroll all scored from first on extra base hits and guess what the Marlines one every game in which they had men score from first. Shocker.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 05:32 PM)
I'd say Josh Fields is actually one of the faster players on this roster, he's probably the best stolen base threat this team has right now. Dude's got some wheels.

yeah, I was about to say that. Fields is a very athletic person and can run.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 05:00 PM)
Outside of his defense at 3B, I've been pleasantly surprised by Fields.

Fields still strikes out way too much and walks very little, but I would assume with the more AB's he gets the less pitchers just go right after the rookie and the more counts he will get to work.

QUOTE(joeynach @ Jun 20, 2007 -> 04:42 PM)
Fields still strikes out way too much and walks very little, but I would assume with the more AB's he gets the less pitchers just go right after the rookie and the more counts he will get to work.

That's true. It's also possible that he's pressing.

FWIW, Crede's K/BB ratio was also pretty high back in '01 and '02. I'm more concerned with Fields' decent-but-not-spectacular glove than anything else at this point.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 09:50 AM)
What's been bad about his defense? If anything, his defense has been the biggest positive surprise so far.

When did I ever say that his defense was "bad"? I merely said that it wasn't that spectacular. From what I've seen, his range is pretty average and, IIRC, he misplayed a hard-hit ball to him last weekend. He's decent there, but that's about it.