White Sox are no longer a TEAM

VAfan

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 05:36 PM)
Born and raised here. I know we've been over this, though, where you don't consider yourself an American because your ancestors are Serbian, and I suppose you don't consider him an American because of his family. To that I say, There is no answer. You believe what you want to believe. I believe that Rodriguez played for us. He lives here. He's always lived here. He's an American.

He moved back to the Domincan when he was 4 and lived there for 3 years. I find it difficult for you or anyone to tell someone else what they are. But I guess since he chose to play for the US, he thinks he's American. So more power to him I guess.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 05:40 PM)
He lived in the Dominican for three years and you think that's what makes him Dominican?

That's right: he chose to play for the US. There we go.

But I don't really understand why you can't consider someone American+Domican. Dominican American!

No. Actually, I think the Domincan blood running through his veins is what makes him Domincan. I only mentioned his 3 years in DR because you said born and raised in the US.

Edited by SoxFan1

Still born here. Still raised here. Raised there for a small time, but raised here for the most part. 18-3 = fifteen. Spent fifteen years here of his formative years.

Whatever. I think your views on this whole thing are archaeic. On race, ancestry, nationality, and I know you think I'm wrong as hell. I just don't know what exactly you'd expect of the WBC for it to have been "good for baseball."

minnesota does not pay market rates.

they've turned over their entire team -- other than Hunter.

Ortiz, Rivas, Guzman, Koskie, AJ, Jones, Mohr, Kielty, Radke, Guardado, Hawkins and others all GAWN.

But they still win.

something ain't right with this team -- namely a leaky bullpen and an underperforming offense.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
That is your opinion. My opinion is the exact opposite.

A lot of MLB teams had players represented in the WBC not just the Sox.

Like the Twins and Francisco Liriano? His arm just about fell off.

Or the Padres and Jake Peavy? Right, he had his worst season.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 06:51 PM)

Ortiz, Rivas, Guzman, Koskie, AJ, Jones, Mohr, Kielty, Radke, Guardado, Hawkins and others all GAWN.

But they still win.

something ain't right with this team -- namely a leaky bullpen and an underperforming offense.

Player development and scouting. You could argue theirs is the best, maybe with your only evidence being how they plucked Johan Santana from the Houston organization.

Like the Twins and Francisco Liriano? His arm just about fell off.

Or the Padres and Jake Peavy? Right, he had his worst season.

Liriano's mechanics are to blame, not WBC.

Peavy might be a fair case, but I doubt the extra, what? 20 innings hurt him.

He'd have been pitching in Spring Training if he hadn't been in the WBC, anyway. I think the effect is very much overstated.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)

He'd have been pitching in Spring Training if he hadn't been in the WBC, anyway. I think the effect is very much overstated.

Obviously none of this is certain, but there were some odd coincidences with no other explanation. How do you explain the aberration in Peavy's 2006 numbers compared to 2004, 2005 and this season? How do you explain the problems Vazquez would have in the 5th inning when he would look so good up to that point? Without the WBC, both are back to normal.

Freddy isn't, so maybe all the innings got to him.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)

1) Liriano had a past history of injury problems in A ball, that's why he was made available.

2) Liriano throws/threw his slider with such torque he was another Kerry Wood waiting to happen. The elbow isn't mean to withstand that kind of stress. It was bound to happen, just not that soon.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 07:51 PM)

But they still win.

But the Twins can turn over their team and get competitive again pretty quickly. One reason might be that they actually develop position players in addition to pitchers!

Look at our team. We have only 1 position player we have developed contributing at all -- Josh Fields. And he is a replacement for the only other position player we had -- Joe Crede.

And for all the pitching we have drafted, one would think we could put together a bullpen made up of the guys who are trying to work their way into the rotatoin.

BTW -- interesting point about the value of crazy man Carl Everett along with Rowand. The key, however, is NO WEAK LINKS. A lineup with no automatic outs and good pitching can win a lot of games. I think that's been Oakland's modus operandi for years. The World Series Sox were just as likely to have AJ/Crede/Uribe beat you as any other threesome in the lineup.