If Buehrle is traded.....

whitesoxfan101

Who would you like to see get the first shot in the rotation? And you can put several guys in an order you like in case there are also injuries/somebody struggling/other trades.

The list of guys I immediately think of is Masset, Broadway, Floyd, Russell, Egbert, and Gio. Here is my list:

1. Masset (I'm really curious what he would do as a starter)

2. Floyd (With his age, now or never point is nearing as he pitches better at AAA)

3. Egbert (His GO/AO and our ballpark seem like a perfect fit)

After that, I don't think Gio is ready, Broadway is doing well at AAA but I don't trust his control enough with the 2 seamer yet, and Russell is struggling way too much at AA for me to think he's ready.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:06 PM)
Who would you like to see get the first shot in the rotation? And you can put several guys in an order you like in case there are also injuries/somebody struggling/other trades.

The list of guys I immediately think of is Masset, Broadway, Floyd, Russell, Egbert, and Gio. Here is my list:

1. Masset (I'm really curious what he would do as a starter)

2. Floyd (With his age, now or never point is nearing as he pitches better at AAA)

3. Egbert (His GO/AO and our ballpark seem like a perfect fit)

After that, I don't think Gio is ready, Broadway is doing well at AAA but I don't trust his control enough with the 2 seamer yet, and Russell is struggling way too much at AA for me to think he's ready.

IMO, KW would want Floyd in the rotation.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:11 PM)
IMO, KW would want Floyd in the rotation.

KW will bring FLoyd up. He will use the Masset isnt stretched out excuse that they have used in the past when they dont want someone to join the rotation just now.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
KW will bring FLoyd up. He will use the Masset isnt stretched out excuse that they have used in the past when they dont want someone to join the rotation just now.

Floyd has been proving he deserves a shot lately anyway.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
Floyd or Egbert. I don't want to see Massett start for this team, I would like to see him go to Charlotte to get more work out of the pen.

Masset looks pretty good when he gets extended time, and not as a short reliever. Steve Stone was on the other day, saying how Massets future is as a starter and he should be a pretty good one.

I wouldn't be surprised if Floyd's performance is actually giving KW confidence that he can move Buehrle. Of course, then again, Danks is starting to endanger himself of being replaced by Floyd as well.

This is getting to the point where I think trading Buehrle early would ensure a better return and we might as well see where all these young arms we've recently collected are at anyways...

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:18 PM)
uh, Egbert

This board is killing me with all the Egbert love..

He's given up 3 home runs the last 2 years (254 innings) with a 2 to 1 ground ball to fly ball ratio and a about 4/5 of a strikeout per inning, low walk totals, only about 4/5 of a hit per inning allowed, and a .230 average against with an ERA under 3. Not sure what is not to love other than he's a bit older at 24.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
Masset looks pretty good when he gets extended time, and not as a short reliever. Steve Stone was on the other day, saying how Massets future is as a starter and he should be a pretty good one.

I have my doubts on him as a starter. He has a career 4.53 ERA and 1.46 WHIP in the minors, pretty much exclusively as a starter. One good start at Wrigley with the wind blowing in isn't gonna change my opinion. I would like to see him sent down so he can get consistent work out of the pen.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
He's given up 3 home runs the last 2 years (254 innings) with a 2 to 1 ground ball to fly ball ratio and a about 4/5 of a strikeout per inning, low walk totals, only about 4/5 of a hit per inning allowed, and a .230 average against with an ERA under 3. Not sure what is not to love other than he's a bit older at 24.

Im not a fan, and find it ridiculous his name is mentioned as a possible rotation spot for when Buehrle is traded..

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
I have my doubts on him as a starter. He has a career 4.53 ERA and 1.46 WHIP in the minors, pretty much exclusively as a starter. One good start at Wrigley with the wind blowing in isn't gonna change my opinion. I would like to see him sent down so he can get consistent work out of the pen.

I honestly think he has the stuff to be a starter. He just needs to be able to throw more strikes. Which would probably best be accomplished by starting for Charlotte right now. I'd love to see Floyd replace Masset in the pen, but I'm sure we don't want to ruin all the progress Floyd has made with his control over the past month.

As soon as there is a spot available, Floyd will get his chance.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
Im not a fan, and find it ridiculous his name is mentioned as a possible rotation spot for when Buehrle is traded..

Can you give me an actual reason as to why it's so ridiculous his name is mentioned? The numbers don't lie, I mean it's ok if you don't like him but to find it ridiculous he's mentioned is a bit extreme.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:29 PM)
Can you give me an actual reason as to why it's so ridiculous his name is mentioned? The numbers don't lie, I mean it's ok if you don't like him but to find it ridiculous he's mentioned is a bit extreme.

Because hes 24 years old and in AA and hes all the sudden going to come in and be in our rotation? I personally don't think hes ever going to pitch in the MLB, and the love fest with him is just mind boggling to me.

QUOTE(Shadows @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
Because hes 24 years old and in AA and hes all the sudden going to come in and be in our rotation? I personally don't think hes ever going to pitch in the MLB, and the love fest with him is just mind boggling to me.

Aaron Cook, Clay Hensley, Shawn Hill

All three are sinkerballers who were old for their league. All three posted worse numbers than Eggy.

He's a legit prospect. He's not going to be a 1 or 2, but a solid 3-4 for cheap is very likely.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
Just out of curiousity, do you guys think that KW would actually trade Contreras at the deadline?

If Jose expressed an interest in being moved, or agreed to it, of course. The problem is JC has a NTC and isn't exactly lighting the world on fire right now.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
Just out of curiousity, do you guys think that KW would actually trade Contreras at the deadline?

There's no doubt in my mind that if Contreras were willing to waive his NTC Kenny would ship his ass out in half a second.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)

Didn't Stone also say Masset would be a devastating reliever this year? You can't start if you can't throw strikes. Its amazing the criticism McCarthy got on this board when he suddenly became a relief pitcher and wasn't successful, but Masset and Sisco get nothing but the benefit of the doubt saying they should be starters. Considering Massset is 32-45 with a 4.53 ERA in his minor league career, I don't know where anyone can come to the conclusion this guy is much of anything.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
Aaron Cook, Clay Hensley, Shawn Hill

All three are sinkerballers who were old for their league. All three posted worse numbers than Eggy.

He's a legit prospect. He's not going to be a 1 or 2, but a solid 3-4 for cheap is very likely.

Exactly. I'm not saying he's an ace, but he looks like a cheap late blooming back of the rotation sinkerballer to me, which is not bad and for our organization is awfully good in fact.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 21, 2007 -> 03:21 PM)
Didn't Stone also say Masset would be a devastating reliever this year? You can't start if you can't throw strikes. Its amazing the criticism McCarthy got on this board when he suddenly became a relief pitcher and wasn't successful, but Masset and Sisco get nothing but the benefit of the doubt saying they should be starters. Considering Massset is 32-45 with a 4.53 ERA in his minor league career, I don't know where anyone can come to the conclusion this guy is much of anything.

McCarthy was criticized because he was hailed as some sort of savior for the better part of three years. Sisco and Masset are guys new to the organization, with Sisco especially being a guy no one expected all that much from. That's simply not a good comparison.

Masset clearly needs to go down and start in AAA, but because the rest of these pitchers have let us down, it's difficult to do that right now. However, if this goes on for another few weeks, there is probably a pretty good chance Masset gets sent down to work on starting and throwing more strikes.