Erstad vs. Aramis Ramirez

santo=dorf

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which type of player do you prefer on your ideal team?

• Erstad type
    • Ramirez (Aramis or Manny) type

you have to have both. You need those guys who play everyday to do the little things right, like beat out a infiled single or dive for a ball. You need the big numbers guys to hit big home runs and drive in the guy who just hit the infield single.

Edited by GoSox05

This is an apples or oranges question. You cannot compare two different hitters, playing different positions, batting in different parts of the lineup, filling different roles on teams.

This is like saying "Who would you rather have, Eric Chavez or Kenny Lofton?"

No player on the White Sox, THIS YEAR, is hitting like Ramirez. That's a big reason the team is not scoring many runs.

The Sox are "grinding" their way to the # 1 draft pick. Maybe it is working out well.

Grinderism is a nice feature to have in a player as long as the player can also produce a lot of runs which are known to be needed in the winning of baseball games.

Aramis Ramirez plays a position for which it is harder to find adequate defensive play and he produces a s*** load of runs with his bat. There is no question that he is a significantly more valuable player than Erstad.

I don't care if Ramirez is a lazy ass or whatever and if Erstad is a prince. The White Sox absolutely suck right now and if they don't add a lot more players that can produce like Ramirez then they're going to stay that way for a long time.

QUOTE(Sox It To Em @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 11:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This has to be a joke topic. You're asking us to choose between a guy with a .900 OPS and a guy with a .650 OPS.

..and yet somehow the results aren't a complete landslide. :bang

You're working on a group project with a classmate. You get to choose between: the kid stays home on Saturdays, spends 6 hour a night on homework, and gets straight C's, or the lazy guy who doesn't study much, goes out and parties on the weekend , but is a straight A honor student.

I'm going with the second guy.

Results > effort

Edited by santo=dorf

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)

You're working on a group project with a classmate. You get to choose between: the kid stays home on Saturdays, spends 6 hour a night on homework, and gets straight C's, or the lazy guy who doesn't study much, goes out and parties on the weekend , but is a straight A honor student.

Results > effort

I'm confused. The second guy would be the Ramirez-type player. I agree with you. Results > effort.

Edit: Never mind. I read your post in the wrong tone. :bang

Edited by Sox It To Em

Well, if you look at the 2005 White Sox, it was a team full of Erstad's. If you look at the 2003 White Sox, it was a team full of Ramirez'.

Individually, I'll go with Aramis, team-wise, it's Erstad all the way.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 12:05 PM)

Results > effort

That lazy guy you are describing sounds a lot like me, but right now at this very moment i would have to take Ramirez because any offense that we could get for this team would a blessing.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 03:27 PM)
First inning of today's game:

Ramirez homers

erstad hurts himself on a catch.

Yep, I'll take Ramirez

While also they have 2 guys who are the .305 30-40 100+ guys hit HRs while we go down 1,2,3 all striking out

Edited by Shadows

After watching today's game, I think I changed my mind. Erstad over Ramirez.

You see if you strictly concern yourself with the games that Erstad is healthy enough to play in and only include the at bats in which he gets a hit when men are on base - then he becomes more valuable.

I just needed to look at it in the proper light. I was confused before and blinded by all those runs that Ramirez guy was producing and not looking at the overall grinder effect. But, today's game really opened my eyes.