Duane Shaffer

Dick Allen

Good riddance. Our player development could use a shot in the arm, maybe this will help. Hopefully the entire scouting department is given different points of emphasis to look at in prospects (athleticism, etc.) coming from a new director of scouting. If they weren't happy with his performance, why was he still around for the draft though?

QUOTE(maggliopipe @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 01:15 PM)
Good riddance. Our player development could use a shot in the arm, maybe this will help. Hopefully the entire scouting department is given different points of emphasis to look at in prospects (athleticism, etc.) coming from a new director of scouting. If they weren't happy with his performance, why was he still around for the draft though?

Maybe they kept him around to give him one last chance or a final shot to try and draft legit prospects.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, and you can take you can take Mark johnson,Jeff Liefer, Jason Stumm, Joe Borchard, Matt Ginter,Kip Wells, Jason Dellaro, Chris Clemons, Scott Chrisman,Kris honel,Royce Ring,Brian Anderson, Kyle McCullough, and Aaron Poreda with you.

I say dish out some money and get the scouting director from the Braves or the Twins

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
Rumor is they pulled Flash out of UIC and he is now our head scouting director. Flash can't be reached for comment, as he has flown himself down to the jungles of Latin America, trying to find the next Liriano.

Tell him to find the next Jose Reyes while he is at it

QUOTE(chisoxfan79 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 01:43 PM)
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, and you can take you can take Mark johnson,Jeff Liefer, Jason Stumm, Joe Borchard, Matt Ginter,Kip Wells, Jason Dellaro, Chris Clemons, Scott Chrisman,Kris honel,Royce Ring,Brian Anderson, Kyle McCullough, and Aaron Poreda with you.

I say dish out some money and get the scouting director from the Braves or the Twins

Get the old Expos scouts if their avaible, they drafted some great players.

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 02:21 PM)
Maybe they kept him around to give him one last chance or a final shot to try and draft legit prospects.

Well, maybe, but I don't think enough time has elapsed to evaluate this class. And I thought KW was 'taking the reins' on this draft anyway. Which is another reason that makes me question why he wasn't booted sooner. I guess if this draft class sucks then can still use Shaffer as a scapegoat.

"Shaffer, at the helm when the White Sox drafted such stalwarts as Jack McDowell (1987), Joe Crede (1996) and Mark Buehrle (1998)"

Hahah, give me a f***ing break....how can you even count Buehrle as a 'good draft' when he went where he did. And lets not forget the YEARS of futility as the scout head.

Good riddance.

Not a surprise. Shaffer was basically put on notice over the winter and KW wants Dave Wilder in that spot. We'll see what ends up happening but I do expect them to bring in someone from outside the org. in some capacity, not necessarily Dir. of Scouting but in some position of significant input.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
I heard about this yesterday and I'll add some more info about it. Shaffer apparently had some off-color comments to and about KW, and apparently was doing some other unprofessional things. Interesting stuff.

That's not really info...that's a tease! Got anything more specific?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 05:52 PM)
There better be many, many more firings before this year is out. Nobody should be safe.

This team has not had a below .500 season since 1999. Since 1990, they finished in 1st or 2nd place 14 out of 17 years with one world championship (the other three years in third place). Minnesota can't claim that, Detroit can't claim that and Cleveland, even with their division titles and no WS Championships, can't claim that kind of record.

We have had a great run. You should be proud of this organization. They have always been competitive.

There needs to be changes made in scouting and the players on the field, but not the mass firings you are hoping for.

Sorry. That doesn't make any sense.

Edited by RibbieRubarb

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
This team has not had a below .500 season since 1999. Since 1990, they finished in 1st or 2nd place 14 out of 17 years with one world championship (the other three years in third place). Minnesota can't claim that, Detroit can't claim that and Cleveland, even with their division titles and no WS Championships, can't claim that kind of record.

We have had a great run. You should be proud of this organization. They have always been competitive.

There needs to be changes made in scouting and the players on the field, but not the mass firings you are hoping for.

:notworthy

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 06:01 PM)

We've made the playoffs 3 years out of 18 including this year, so once every 6 years. We've won one postseason game or more twice in 18 years, so once every 9. If you enjoy the mediocrity we've had most years (decent, but not good enough) that is your problem sir.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 11:40 AM)
Rumor is they pulled Flash out of UIC and he is now our head scouting director. Flash can't be reached for comment, as he has flown himself down to the jungles of Latin America, trying to find the next Liriano.

OMG.

Greatest thing I read, all time, all my life.