Ah, Good Ol' Discrimination

Jenksismyhero

I mentioned this in another thread a few weeks (or more) back, but I receive these things all the time. Here's one I just got today.

Someone explain to me how this is acceptable in 2007:

"Dear Student,

Vault and the Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA) are hosting 3 legal diversity career fairs in August, 2007. This is a great opportunity for you to gain exposure to over 100 legal employers from across the U.S. (attending the 3 events) as well as valuable educational content through presentations, panel discussions, and interactive sessions focused on interviewing, career options, associate life, women & minority law leaders and more.

For more information on the event and to register please visit www.vault.com/legaldiversity

FAQs

Q. Who will be invited to attend the Legal Diversity Career Fair?

A. While all students and lateral associates are welcome to attend, the Legal Diversity Career Fair specifically targets the following underrepresented groups:

* Minority, female and GLBT 1Ls who are researching future employers

* Minority, female and GLBT 2Ls and 3Ls who have not yet committed to a firm or other employer

* Minority, female and GLBT lateral associates who are looking for new opportunities "

Emphasis added.

Yes yes, I know, it says all are welcome to attend, but can you imagine the backlash of a similar invite that would say 'while all students are welcome to attend, the ____ Career Fair specifically targets white males aged 25-30 whose family income exceeds 150k per year"

QUOTE(GoSox05 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 01:05 PM)
well white males who make 150k don't really need a career fair.

Read a little better.

Fair specifically targets white males aged 25-30 whose family income exceeds 150k per year"

America is a great place. In addition to having nearly every other opportunity available to us as educated white males, we also have the opportunity to take shots at groups who recognize that certain segments of American society ARE underrepresented and/or underserved by a host of institutions.

I have been involved in science education programming targeting underserved urban minority students as well as underserved white, black, and latino students from rural farming communities. The programs were funded by federal (NSF) and state (Florida Sea Grant) monies. I think they were some of the most important and impactful programs I have been a part of.

These groups by and large just don't go into careers in the sciences and that has to change at some point.

"Vault and the Minority Corporate Counsel Association (MCCA)" is a private organization, unless it receives money from a government. Discrimination by private organizations is perfectly legal and has been enthusiastically supported by conservatives (e.g. Boy Scouts of America, Moose Lodge, etc.).

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 11:20 PM)
Discrimination by private organizations is perfectly legal

Actually, that is completely inaccurate. It is illegal under both Federal and State Law to discriminate in the "terms or conditions of employment" on the Basis of a person's race or color.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
However, this isn't a term or condition of employment. This is a job fair.

it is directly related to hiring. this is a recruitment fair.

Edited by mr_genius

As with all forms of racism or bigotry, this sort of thing does nothing but harm to all involved.

If you want to give everyone a fair shot at something then give EVERYONE the same shot at it. If its a job, go by qualifications. If there is evidence that people are missing qualifications because there is a closed door betweem them and it, then open that door. If we need more student loan availability, or better equality in school funding then do that.

But for God sakes, can we please stop trying to get rid of racism by being racist?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 03:04 PM)
As with all forms of racism or bigotry, this sort of thing does nothing but harm to all involved.

If you want to give everyone a fair shot at something then give EVERYONE the same shot at it. If its a job, go by qualifications. If there is evidence that people are missing qualifications because there is a closed door betweem them and it, then open that door. If we need more student loan availability, or better equality in school funding then do that.

But for God sakes, can we please stop trying to get rid of racism by being racist?

Don't you know, only white people can be racist. (If there was a half-green color, I would have used it there.)