Maybe Some Great News

kane0730

Sorry if this has already been posted, or if this is not the right place to post:

From today's Trib.

"The Sox hold an option on Singleton for next season. They need either to bring in an experienced play-by-play man or convince Farmer to give his partner an earnest chance."

God I hope they dump this guy. Bring in a REAL play by play guy and slide Farmio over to FULL TIME color.

QUOTE(kane0730 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 02:42 PM)
Sorry if this has already been posted, or if this is not the right place to post:

From today's Trib.

"The Sox hold an option on Singleton for next season. They need either to bring in an experienced play-by-play man or convince Farmer to give his partner an earnest chance."

God I hope they dump this guy. Bring in a REAL play by play guy and slide Farmio over to FULL TIME color.

Ding Ding, Farmio needs to realize the game isnt a forum for bad comedy, inside jokes, and hearing yourself wax poetic. I think Singleton has alot to say, but nobody will let him speak.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 02:46 PM)
I like Singleton. Farmer is the one I can't stand.

Yeah, this. I hope they keep Singleton around, I like how he doesn't seem to take the game too seriously and brings a bit of very odd humor to the booth unlike Farmer who comes off as an arrogant ass. I've said it before and I'll say it again, a Darrin Jackson/Chris Singleton booth would be the most entertaining announcing team in baseball.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 02:50 PM)
Yeah, this. I hope they keep Singleton around, I like how he doesn't seem to take the game too seriously and brings a bit of very odd humor to the booth unlike Farmer who comes off as an arrogant ass. I've said it before and I'll say it again, a Darrin Jackson/Chris Singleton booth would be the most entertaining announcing team in baseball.

Who would be PxP and who would be Color commentary?

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
Who would be PxP and who would be Color commentary?

It really doesn't matter. My other booth would be Stone/McDowell so I'm going with more of an odd hybrid of interesting personalities who have great knowledge of the game but no real play by play experience. Opening Day for the Sox was the best Sox radio broadcast I've heard since the end of 2005.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
It really doesn't matter. My other booth would be Stone/McDowell so I'm going with more of an odd hybrid of interesting personalities who have great knowledge of the game but no real play by play experience. Opening Day for the Sox was the best Sox radio broadcast I've heard since the end of 2005.

When Hawk finally goes to the home, I hope they make a push for Jack.

I'd rather eat glass then listen to those two morons. Singleton needs a chance blah blah blah, he completely unnatural and annoying. He has all game to say anything he wants, he doesn't make a good impression with most people on here now, putting him in with another bumbling moron doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
I wish they would clear out both broadcast booths...

Agree.

If anything, I would keep DJ and put him with a legit PBP guy. They dropped the ball after 2005 with the radio deal. If you don't bring Rooney back, you go get a PBP guy. You could of gotten someone good.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)
I wish they would clear out both broadcast booths...

me too....as well as the team...except for Burhrle, Danks, Fields, Garland, AJ and Konerko. The rest...buh-bye.

Yeah, I think Singleton is best announcer they have. His pacing can still be off, but he's improved quite a bit. Moreover, he's sort of developed an easygoing but sometimes informative style that beats the snot out of any of the other Sox staff. I hope they keep him.

Edited by hitlesswonder

Farmer needs to go. He is getting senile, if he isn't already, and arrogant as hell. I hate listening to the games on the radio, and Farmer yelling "That ball hit way back... caught by the left fielder deep. he really got a hold of that one! Just not enough" And then when I watch a replay of that play, it turns out that it was a pop up no where near being a homer.

Also, how did we come by hiring Singleton over Tommy John? I'd take Tommy John anyday.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
Farmer needs to go. He is getting senile, if he isn't already, and arrogant as hell. I hate listening to the games on the radio, and Farmer yelling "That ball hit way back... caught by the left fielder deep. he really got a hold of that one! Just not enough" And then when I watch a replay of that play, it turns out that it was a pop up no where near being a homer.

Also, how did we come by hiring Singleton over Tommy John? I'd take Tommy John anyday.

I'd hate to bring this up, but if the Sox get rid of Singleton, aren't they going to hire a minority for the position. And that's fine. As long as it's someone with some broadcasting experience and is good I could care less who they hire.

Bob

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 01:50 PM)
I've said it before and I'll say it again, a Darrin Jackson/Chris Singleton booth would be the most entertaining announcing team in baseball.

I think you may be on to something. I have thought before that switching up the booths - making it Hawk/Farmer on TV and Jackson/Singleton on radio - might be a good idea. Farmer, while pro-Sox, isn't as shamelessly so as Hawk and he could provide a nice balance. Having Jackson outside Hawk's shadow would give him a chance to establish his own personality.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 03:21 PM)
Farmer is awful. Sleepy droning monotone. When he gets excited it sounds fake.

A Jackson/Singleton radio booth is an interesting idea, but I wonder if they're too similar-sounding.

Stone/McDowell would be a fun booth, I think. I'm for it!

I love Farmer. Dry. Weird. Hilarious.

I hope you're kidding.

Singleton is a talentless clown with absolutely no personality whatsoever and who would you have doing the play by play with this group?