Tank "possibly" got a DUI in Arizona

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 05:20 PM)
He got really overrated because of how good the Bears team was. He simply isn't Tommie Harris. He's no big loss, see ya

I would have to disagree. Tank is a very good player and had what, like 5 sacks one year from the DT spot? I think he is better than you give him credit for. IMO, he is a big loss, but not a huge loss.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 06:20 PM)
He got really overrated because of how good the Bears team was. He simply isn't Tommie Harris. He's no big loss, see ya

If your standard for a good dt is Harris, you'd best release every one the Bears have and keep looking. No, he's not one of the best in the NFL, but he's good.

No I'm just saying he takes huge advantage of Harris' consant double teams. I think he's talented sure, but he's in a spot to look extra good because of the guy next to him, that's all I'm saying. You do have to worry about depth a bit with the departures of Idonoje and Boone. I guess their eggs are in the Dusty basket or they feel someone can slide over in a pinch

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 07:14 PM)
No I'm just saying he takes huge advantage of Harris' consant double teams. I think he's talented sure, but he's in a spot to look extra good because of the guy next to him, that's all I'm saying. You do have to worry about depth a bit with the departures of Idonoje and Boone. I guess their eggs are in the Dusty basket or they feel someone can slide over in a pinch

You mean Scott, not Idonije (I think Idonije is still around...no?). They also got Adams from SF.

I completely agree that he looked a LOT better next to Harris than he would otherwise. But he also looked better next to Harris than anyone else did. It absolutely would be a big loss to downgrade that second tackle position, especially considering how many linemen they put on Harris, and I hope the Bears don't do that just to send some kind of message.

Plus, I'm not saying what he did wasn't stupid, but I think these reactions are a little much. Driving 40 in a 25 is a daily routine for half the people in this country. That's not even worth a mention. The dui, if it turns out that way, is of course bad. That would warrant a longer suspension. But I just can't say that a guy should lose his career because of that.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 22, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
You mean Scott, not Idonije (I think Idonije is still around...no?). They also got Adams from SF.

I completely agree that he looked a LOT better next to Harris than he would otherwise. But he also looked better next to Harris than anyone else did. It absolutely would be a big loss to downgrade that second tackle position, especially considering how many linemen they put on Harris, and I hope the Bears don't do that just to send some kind of message.

Plus, I'm not saying what he did wasn't stupid, but I think these reactions are a little much. Driving 40 in a 25 is a daily routine for half the people in this country. That's not even worth a mention. The dui, if it turns out that way, is of course bad. That would warrant a longer suspension. But I just can't say that a guy should lose his career because of that.

He isnt going to lose his career, for sure. But he is going to lose his job with the Bears. The Bears have, more than once, told him to stay out of trouble. Every time they do, he screws up. Next time he could mow someone over while driving "slightly impaired" or whatever the cops said. BTW, when did it take 2 weeks to find out if someone was drunk?

I have washed my hands of tank. The guy doesnt want to do the right thing, let him get out of this mess without trashing his employer any further.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 09:01 AM)
He isnt going to lose his career, for sure. But he is going to lose his job with the Bears. The Bears have, more than once, told him to stay out of trouble. Every time they do, he screws up. Next time he could mow someone over while driving "slightly impaired" or whatever the cops said. BTW, when did it take 2 weeks to find out if someone was drunk?

I have washed my hands of tank. The guy doesnt want to do the right thing, let him get out of this mess without trashing his employer any further.

Well if the Bears shouldn't have him, why should any other team?

A lot of people already have their minds made up. This isn't a reason, just an excuse. Hell, many people calling for him to be cut want it done now, without even waiting for the results. For 40 in a 25? What a joke.

The Bears have told him to stay out of trouble, and it looks like he has cleaned up his life in general. This is a mistake, but an unrelated one, and, to tell the truth, a very common one. That's NOT to minimize it. But making this out to be a pattern of behavior, like what you see with Pacman, is ridiculous.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 09:52 AM)
Well if the Bears shouldn't have him, why should any other team?

A lot of people already have their minds made up. This isn't a reason, just an excuse. Hell, many people calling for him to be cut want it done now, without even waiting for the results. For 40 in a 25? What a joke.

The Bears have told him to stay out of trouble, and it looks like he has cleaned up his life in general. This is a mistake, but an unrelated one, and, to tell the truth, a very common one. That's NOT to minimize it. But making this out to be a pattern of behavior, like what you see with Pacman, is ridiculous.

Do you not see the "being impaired to the slightest degree" part of the ticket? I could give two sh**s about speeding. Its the possible DUI that has me thinking that this is not a problem that is to go away anytime soon, because if he gets a DUI it is directly related to the "stay out of trouble" part of his probation. Besides, wasnt Tanks drivers license suspended?

What makes you think Tank has cleaned up his life? Because he said so? Pacman said he was cleaning up his life and was told not to go to strip clubs anymore, on the day before his meeting with Goodell, he was at a strip club.

Maybe I should be more clear. I will have washed my hands of Tank Johnson if he is busted for a DUI. If they just give him a speeding ticket, then whatever. But I dont think thats gonna be the case

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 12:45 PM)
Do you not see the "being impaired to the slightest degree" part of the ticket? I could give two sh**s about speeding. Its the possible DUI that has me thinking that this is not a problem that is to go away anytime soon, because if he gets a DUI it is directly related to the "stay out of trouble" part of his probation. Besides, wasnt Tanks drivers license suspended?

What makes you think Tank has cleaned up his life? Because he said so? Pacman said he was cleaning up his life and was told not to go to strip clubs anymore, on the day before his meeting with Goodell, he was at a strip club.

Maybe I should be more clear. I will have washed my hands of Tank Johnson if he is busted for a DUI. If they just give him a speeding ticket, then whatever. But I dont think thats gonna be the case

Pretty sure his license was not suspended. Can't we at least agree that, however awful Tank is, he's not as scummy as Paris Hilton?

These comparisons to Pacman are what bother me. Since he got his suspension, besides the strip club thing, he's been sought for questioning in, what, two shootings?, a shooting and a stabbing?, something like that. (Hey, I googled it -- the latest was a shooting after a strip club fight. Nice!) Tank has avoided those types of problems. Even the commissioner was impressed enough to be relatively lenient.

Tank might have had a couple beers more than he should have when he went out. (It really doesn't sound like he was blitzed, but he may well have been over the limit.) Now, I KNOW it's serious, and I'm not saying it should be ignored. But it has no relation to unlicensed guns lying around his house or nightclub shootings. I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished if it turns out to be a dui, but it doesn't say anything about the changes he's made or not made. I don't see why the Bears need to get rid of him for this anymore than they needed to get rid of Gilmore after his marijuana arrest or avoid Olsen after the rap song.

If you think they should have cut him when he was arrested, fine. I don't agree, but I can understand that. I just don't think that this could really make anybody change their mind.

How many of you have never driven without having alcohol in you? I don't care if it's 1 beer. If you've never driven with even the littlest bit of alcohol in your system, then you can talk. Otherwise, shut up. I know I've had a few beers and then driven home. Not nearly enought to make me drunk, but I've done it a couple times, and I bet 90% of you have done it too.

If you want the Bears to cut him, fine. If he really does get charged with a DUI, then I would be supportive if the Bears did cut him. However, for those that are saying he's a bad person, etc., for driving under the "slightest" influence, that's just not fair.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)
How many of you have never driven without having alcohol in you? I don't care if it's 1 beer. If you've never driven with even the littlest bit of alcohol in your system, then you can talk. Otherwise, shut up. I know I've had a few beers and then driven home. Not nearly enought to make me drunk, but I've done it a couple times, and I bet 90% of you have done it too.

If you want the Bears to cut him, fine. If he really does get charged with a DUI, then I would be supportive if the Bears did cut him. However, for those that are saying he's a bad person, etc., for driving under the "slightest" influence, that's just not fair.

Why dont you throw in "How many of you have had your home raided for guns and drugs? How many of you have served time in jail for violating probation? How many of you are getting suspended for your jobs for serving time in jail and having your homes raided for guns and drugs?"

When you look at things with a narrow perspective, you tend to forget the rest of the story. Tank may of may not be a bad guy, but the fact of the matter is that the man just got out of jail and he is already getting pulled over at 3:30 AM under suspicion of driving drunk. This isnt a one time thing with Tank, he has had so many chances that he has blown, how many more do the Bears need to give him?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 01:26 PM)
Pretty sure his license was not suspended. Can't we at least agree that, however awful Tank is, he's not as scummy as Paris Hilton?

These comparisons to Pacman are what bother me. Since he got his suspension, besides the strip club thing, he's been sought for questioning in, what, two shootings?, a shooting and a stabbing?, something like that. (Hey, I googled it -- the latest was a shooting after a strip club fight. Nice!) Tank has avoided those types of problems. Even the commissioner was impressed enough to be relatively lenient.

Tank might have had a couple beers more than he should have when he went out. (It really doesn't sound like he was blitzed, but he may well have been over the limit.) Now, I KNOW it's serious, and I'm not saying it should be ignored. But it has no relation to unlicensed guns lying around his house or nightclub shootings. I'm not saying he shouldn't be punished if it turns out to be a dui, but it doesn't say anything about the changes he's made or not made. I don't see why the Bears need to get rid of him for this anymore than they needed to get rid of Gilmore after his marijuana arrest or avoid Olsen after the rap song.

If you think they should have cut him when he was arrested, fine. I don't agree, but I can understand that. I just don't think that this could really make anybody change their mind.

I just dont see how the Pacman comparisons dont apply. Tank has been busted with guns in his car, resisting arrest, had his license suspended, his home raided, served time in jail, and now a possible DUI.

There is a difference between Tank and Pacman: Pacman has never served time for his 16 offenses(yet).

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 04:12 PM)
I just dont see how the Pacman comparisons dont apply. Tank has been busted with guns in his car, resisting arrest, had his license suspended, his home raided, served time in jail, and now a possible DUI.

There is a difference between Tank and Pacman: Pacman has never served time for his 16 offenses(yet).

I'm talking about what he's done lately, especially after meeting with the commish. I just don't think a dui is comparable to involvement in a nightclub shooting and avoiding questioning by police.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 02:12 PM)

You're missing the big picture here. Tank is supposedly on his final chance with his employer and perhaps the league. How in the world if you're going to have a couple drinks do you drive a car when you can afford a driver? Worse yet, how stupid do you have to be to be speeding after a couple of beers? With a clean record, its stupid. With Tank's troubled past, and whats on the line, its beyond ridiculous. I wanted the Bears to say goodbye to Tank after his last incident. Angelo will now look and no doubt feel like a fool if/when Tank's test comes back and its above 0. The other sad part about it is someday someone else with the Bears will probably need another chance. Maybe even someone who would actually take advantage of it and become a solid member of society. Angelo won't give it. He doesn't want to be embarrassed again. Who would blame him?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
I'm talking about what he's done lately, especially after meeting with the commish. I just don't think a dui is comparable to involvement in a nightclub shooting and avoiding questioning by police.

I know, but Tank was told to stay out of trouble, and he didnt. Im sure the commish doesnt look on this too favorably either, and Tank most likely kissed his suspension reduction goodbye. Now he may have to worry about who he is playing with after the suspension is over.

I do think that Pacman is a scumbag, no doubt in my mind, but he doesnt affect the team I cheer for so I really dont care. Tank is directly affecting my favorite team, and i dont like it at all.

This timeline of events isnt too favorable either

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 06:25 PM)
You're missing the big picture here. Tank is supposedly on his final chance with his employer and perhaps the league. How in the world if you're going to have a couple drinks do you drive a car when you can afford a driver? Worse yet, how stupid do you have to be to be speeding after a couple of beers? With a clean record, its stupid. With Tank's troubled past, and whats on the line, its beyond ridiculous. I wanted the Bears to say goodbye to Tank after his last incident. Angelo will now look and no doubt feel like a fool if/when Tank's test comes back and its above 0. The other sad part about it is someday someone else with the Bears will probably need another chance. Maybe even someone who would actually take advantage of it and become a solid member of society. Angelo won't give it. He doesn't want to be embarrassed again. Who would blame him?

I would.

"How in the world if you're going to have a couple drinks do you drive a car when you can afford a driver?" I don't understand it, either, but it happens constantly in sports. Ditka did it during the 85 season. Many people I know seem to think they're perfectly fine when I'm damn sure they're .1+. Athletes aren't an exception.

"Worse yet, how stupid do you have to be to be speeding after a couple of beers?" I live on a 25 street in a residential area, but I GUARANTEE that most rush hour cars are zooming by doing 40+. It's just the standard in many places, and you get used to it.

"With Tank's troubled past, and whats on the line, its beyond ridiculous." That's a big overstatement. It's just ordinary human dumb. Every problem Tank has had in the past has been related to acting like or being connected to thugs. Even if Tank has cleaned up that part of his life, he still might make a stupid 'regular' mistake, which is what this was. I think that's the basic point dasox was making (although I wouldn't go as far as he did) -- people who make this mistake should be considered stupid. But in itself, it doesn't say much more than that about someone's character. And stupidity, even if it's not desirable, isn't something to get this angry about. (Nor is it something that I'd really defend Tank from -- I'm not at all convinced he's a bad/angry person, but I'd never say he's a brilliant guy.)

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 23, 2007 -> 07:59 PM)
I know, but Tank was told to stay out of trouble, and he didnt. Im sure the commish doesnt look on this too favorably either, and Tank most likely kissed his suspension reduction goodbye. Now he may have to worry about who he is playing with after the suspension is over.

I do think that Pacman is a scumbag, no doubt in my mind, but he doesnt affect the team I cheer for so I really dont care. Tank is directly affecting my favorite team, and i dont like it at all.

This timeline of events isnt too favorable either

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

And I'm fine with the suspension reduction being rescinded. That's deserved. But if the Bears thought he was a good person before this incident (Lovie apparently did), but have changed their minds since, they should explain why they kept Gilmore on the team, at least.

I'm done, I don't want to keep repeating myself. My impression is that the main advice given to Tank was that he shouldn't keep up his current lifestyle, that he should stop hanging around (and housing) types that store pounds of marijuana and get themselves killed in nightclubs. It wasn't that he should not ever make another legal mistake, which would be a pretty unreasonable request. What he was involved in before was something that I can't even fathom. The whole world he was mixed up in was something that the NFL doesn't want to be associated with, understandably. What he just did, if he did it, was something that is seen everywhere. I know many people who've done this (or worse), who usually aren't caught, and I'm sure Goodell does, too. It's not part of that world that he was told to get away from, it's just a general condition. In as much as it tells me about Tank, it tells me he's like about half of my friends, who're just as overconfident about their ability to not get caught when slightly tipsy. My opinion of him changes only in that I think he's slightly dumber than I imagined. (Maybe more accurately, it makes me a a stronger believer in his stupidity.) It can't happen again, but it's separate from what happened before, and if I'm the Bears I'm not willing to cut off someone who has otherwise looked to improve his image for this alone.

Being out after 2am is just an invitation to bored cops to be pulled over anyway. Nothing good happens after 2am.

Seriously though, why even have a DUI limit if they can charge you even if you are under it. "being impaired to the slightest degree"? WTF, this is just one step away from police state. They tried this crap on me once many years ago. I had had ONE beer, 2 hours BEFORE I was pulled over, but was wearing several beers due to a barfight that I happened to be in the way of. The cop was the biggest ass I have met, had cuffed me, hard, left my car on the side of the road unlocked, and kept me in the station for 3 hours. Oh, it was also 2:30 am. After blowing low enough to aalmost not even register three times, they finally let me go with a fake speeding ticket (I also wasn't speeding, positive of it), claiming to be acting 'nice' by not giving me a 'slightly impared' ticket.

On a different note, be carefull out there people, thanks to MADD, Illinois is doing a huge DUI push the next two weeks, with random roadside safety checks (yeah, safety. sure). It would be interesting to note if anyone here gets stopped by a nazi patrol or not. Living not too far from the Jooliet riverboats, I see the stops alot.

Edited by Alpha Dog