Laumann new scouting director

Heads22

Laumann named director of amateur scouting

CHICAGO -- Doug Laumann has been named director of amateur scouting, Chicago White Sox General Manager Ken Williams announced today.

Laumann, who originally joined the White Sox in September 1990, has served the organization in a variety of capacities, including as an area scout, scouting supervisor, national crosschecker, director of scouting (2001-03) and professional scout.

"Doug has a tremendous amount of experience at every level of our scouting operations," said Williams. "He is the right person to head our scouting department, and Doug's direction and expertise will have a major impact on our operations."

Laumann began with the White Sox as an area scout (1991-92) before serving as a supervisor (1993-96). He was promoted to national crosschecker in 1997 before becoming director of scouting in 2001. As a professional scout, Laumann covered other organizations and their minor-league clubs for the White Sox from 2004-07.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes, the man who drafted Kris Honel (Heilman taken 2 picks later), Royce Ring (James Loney taken by LA with the next pick), Brian Anderson (Conor Jackson taken 4 picks later, Billingsley 9 picks later, Carlos Quentin 14 picks later), Tim Hummel, Mike Morse, Heath Phillips, Jeremy Reed, Josh Rupe, Chris Getz, Sean Tracey, Ryan Sweeney, Robert Valido, and Ricardo Nanita.

Edited by SoxFan1

He will be under same restrictions of NO Boras clients..Same old, same old! Until JR changes his thinking the rest is moot! Laumann works for what JR likes cheap! This hiring shows me why the scouting sucks.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 02:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should've never fired the last guy then if you're going to pull the same ole bs. This guy might actually be worse.

Exactly right. Now you see why firing someone is a cover - something to make the common fan think that something is changing - but things remain the same. If Walker is fired Manny Trillo will replace him. It will be exactly the same.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)
Ah yes, the man who drafted Kris Honel (Heilman taken 2 picks later), Royce Ring (James Loney taken by LA with the next pick), Brian Anderson (Conor Jackson taken 4 picks later, Billingsley 9 picks later, Carlos Quentin 14 picks later), Tim Hummel, Mike Morse, Heath Phillips, Jeremy Reed, Josh Rupe, Chris Getz, Sean Tracey, Ryan Sweeney, Robert Valido, and Ricardo Nanita.

What does it say when Anderson has arguable had the biggest major league impact?

Interesting.

Very tough to say if this is good or bad.

One thing that is known by those close to the scouting staff, Laumann and Shaffer butted heads big time. In fact Laumann got reassigned or demoted (or however one wants to spin it) a couple years ago. Baseball America had a write up about it too. Laumann is very respected but he did something to piss Shaffer off and he got reassigned. So now it was Shaffer's turn to fall on the sword.

I would like to see them come out and say exactly what will be done differently.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 03:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Sox removed this guy for lousy drafts before

Not true. Conflict with Shaffer over assignments and other admin stuff.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 05:24 PM)
There is no hope until KW is gone for our minor league system, so this hire really is not surprising.

What are you basing this on? He said that this was the year he wanted to be more hands-on.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 05:25 PM)
What are you basing this on? He said that this was the year he wanted to be more hands-on.

The fact it took him 6 and a half years to be more hands on about the future of our organization (drafting and the minor leagues) is a good place to start as to where I base having no hope KW can ever fix our system.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 11:55 PM)
Big f***ing whoop. Plenty of teams GM's haven't seen there first round picks in person.

Yes, but those GMs usually don't make big deals about how they're going to be hands-on with the draft. It's funny though, because I asked the same question you did to a draft expert, and they said that GMs will usually go see at least 4 or 5 guys that they think will possibly be drafted by them in the first round.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 11:57 PM)
Only about 98% of them.

Well, then you and I are hearing differently, and I value the information I received from this person, as he's one of the individuals most closely connected with the draft. FWIW, the Sox were very upset when Main was picked, as he was the guy they wanted.

Fathom...from what I've been told about the draft, thats bull (I'm sure some GM's do it, but others prefer to focus on other things). Have they seen video of the pitchers, yes, but they typically talk to there scouts. KW being more hands on in this draft was him setting out a limit to go after "toolsy" players and take chances and try to find some high impact high reward guys (since KW in general is a tools type of GM as opposed to a sabermetric type of GM).