Laumann new scouting director

Heads22

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 06:59 PM)
Well, then you and I are hearing differently, and I value the information I received from this person, as he's one of the individuals most closely connected with the draft. FWIW, the Sox were very upset when Main was picked, as he was the guy they wanted.

No offense, though it will sound like it, but your source is full of s***. GM's rarely, if ever, see draft picks in person.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 12:15 AM)
No offense, though it will sound like it, but your source is full of s***. GM's rarely, if ever, see draft picks in person.

Then this person should quit his very high-profiled job. Maybe Flash could then get the position if it opens up.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 07:15 PM)

I'll say right now that fathom's source is either full of s***, stupid, or he's making up the source altogether, because there is no way the person who I asked would be wrong about this subject.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 07:16 PM)
Then this person should quit his very high-profiled job.

Yes, he should. And if that's not enough, he also should quit if he is the person that provided you with the Rowand "agreement" rumor.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 12:17 AM)
I'll say right now that fathom's source is either full of s***, stupid, or he's making up the source altogether, because there is no way the person who I asked would be wrong about this subject.

People know from where I get the information from, so there's an obvious connection to the draft. The person I talked to was shocked about the correlation between KW saying he was going to have more of a say, and then coming out and saying he's only seen Poreda on videotape.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 07:19 PM)
People know from where I get the information from, so there's an obvious connection to the draft. The person I talked to was shocked about the correlation between KW saying he was going to have more of a say, and then coming out and saying he's only seen Poreda on videotape.

I don't get where you are going with this. The best GM's in the game who know their system in and out almost never see their 1st round picks in person before they pick them.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 12:18 AM)
Yes, he should. And if that's not enough, he also should quit if he is the person that provided you with the Rowand "agreement" rumor.

No no, totally different person.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 12:21 AM)
I don't get where you are going with this. The best GM's in the game who know their system in and out almost never see their 1st round picks in person before they pick them.

KW has never been one to travel much to do the scouting. That's why people were expecting him to be much more visible on the scouting front the months prior to the draft. BTW, does anyone remember who was the scout given credit for signing Broadway?

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)
Ah yes, the man who drafted Kris Honel (Heilman taken 2 picks later), Royce Ring (James Loney taken by LA with the next pick), Brian Anderson (Conor Jackson taken 4 picks later, Billingsley 9 picks later, Carlos Quentin 14 picks later), Tim Hummel, Mike Morse, Heath Phillips, Jeremy Reed, Josh Rupe, Chris Getz, Sean Tracey, Ryan Sweeney, Robert Valido, and Ricardo Nanita.

Interestingly, Joe Cowley was on the Score this morning and said Shaffer was supposed to take Joe Blanton instead of Royce Ring and the organization was fuming about it.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 12:56 AM)
That seems awful shady. If Kenny and the org told the Shaffer to take Blanton and he took another guy than I think he'd have been fired on the spot.

It's going to be interesting to see if either KW or Shaffer start trying to justify things in the media.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 07:56 PM)
That seems awful shady. If Kenny and the org told the Shaffer to take Blanton and he took another guy than I think he'd have been fired on the spot.

Yeah, I doubt he did that. He would have been fired on the spot if he did that. Well, at least I would fire him on the spot if he did that.

My guess is there was some debate...Shaffer was backing ring, most of the org was backing Blanton but the org let Shaffer make the call and he opted with his guy (afterall while Kenny has the final call, when it came to the draft Shaffer really was the guy who for the most part is making the call).

I just know one thing...I freaking loved the way the draft worked out for the club this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 01:01 AM)
My guess is there was some debate...Shaffer was backing ring, most of the org was backing Blanton but the org let Shaffer make the call and he opted with his guy (afterall while Kenny has the final call, when it came to the draft Shaffer really was the guy who for the most part is making the call).

I just know one thing...I freaking loved the way the draft worked out for the club this year.

Now this is from a 100 pct accurate source....the 3rd round pick of the Sox was supposedly told by the Cubs and Devil Rays he'd be picked in the 2nd room. He was upset that he wasn't picked in the 2nd round, but he was thrilled when the team he loves picked him in the 3rd.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 07:56 PM)

Yeah, it seemed odd to me, but it was what Joe reported this morning.

I think one must remember that this organization is filled with staffers who have been around for quite awhile- many since Jerry and his group of investors bought the franchise in 1981. Take a look at the media guide- it's ridiculous how long guys have been around.

This organization has been run like a family business for years and years, rather than the corporations most other franchises are operated like.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 08:01 PM)

Please tell me why you loved the way the draft turned out this year?

New man in charge: Doug Laumann was named the director of amateur scouting on Sunday. Laumann has been with the White Sox organization since 1990 in various capacities, including serving as the director of scouting in 2001.

"He's very good," Williams said. "He's the guy who picked Ryan Sweeney out of Iowa after he didn't play high school baseball. He put himself on the line. He's very good, very qualified to do this."

It is not the first time that Laumann has dealt with amateur prospects. He handled Draft responsibilities from 2001 to 2003.

"We need to rededicate ourselves a little bit," Laumann said. "Get everybody on the same page and make sure everyone knows what we are looking for. I've always considered scouting directors as somewhat like purchasing agents. You're purchasing raw materials for your company, and that is exactly what we're doing."

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
Now this is from a 100 pct accurate source....the 3rd round pick of the Sox was supposedly told by the Cubs and Devil Rays he'd be picked in the 2nd room. He was upset that he wasn't picked in the 2nd round, but he was thrilled when the team he loves picked him in the 3rd.

and he loves the sox because we have developed so many great players? I actually believe you about your source, but I do not think GM's actaully do alot of scouting. I think they put a plan forward and have there best people execute the plan. I think the sox scouts are mediocre at best and I also think there are not enough of them. Its the system that fails not necesarily the GM.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 24, 2007 -> 07:48 PM)
Interestingly, Joe Cowley was on the Score this morning and said Shaffer was supposed to take Joe Blanton instead of Royce Ring and the organization was fuming about it.

More spin by KW and a beat writer I am shocked.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 03:10 AM)
and he loves the sox because we have developed so many great players? I actually believe you about your source, but I do not think GM's actaully do alot of scouting. I think they put a plan forward and have there best people execute the plan. I think the sox scouts are mediocre at best and I also think there are not enough of them. Its the system that fails not necesarily the GM.

He loves the Sox because he grew up in the south suburbs.

Now I know hindsight is 20-20, but he is a look at Laumann's history as Director of Scouting.

2001: Notable: Chris Young, 16th round

Rd. 1, #16 - Kris Honel

Picks below: Aaron Heilman (18), Mike Fontenot (19), Jeremy Sowers (20), Bobby Crosby (25), Jeremy Bonderman (26), Noah Lowery (30)

Rd. 2, #71 - Ryan Wing

Picks below: Dan Haren (72), Ryan Theriot (78),

Rd. 4, #125 - Aaron Rifkin

Picks below: Ryan Howard (140)

2002: Notable: Daniel Haigwood, 16th round and Boone Logan, 20th round

Rd. 1, #18 - Royce Ring

Picks below: James Loney (19), Jeff Francoeur (23), Joe Blanton (24), Matt Cain (25)

Rd. 2, #59 - Jeremy Reed

Picks below: Jonathan Broxton (60), Jesse Crain (61), Brian McCann (64)

Rd. 17, #510 - Brandon McCarthy

Picks below: Russell Martin (511)

2003:

Rd. 1, #15 - Brian Anderson

Picks below: Conor Jackson (19), Chad Cordero (20), David Aardsma (22), Chad Billinglsey (24), Carlos Quentin (29), Matt Murton (32), Jarrod Saltalamacchia (36)

Rd. 2, #52 - Ryan Sweeney

Picks below: Jerry Owens (57), Jason Hirsch (59), Andre Ethier (62),

Rd. , #112 - Robert Valido

Picks below: Jonathan Papelbon (114)

Rd. 7, #202 - James Casey

Picks below: Reggie Willits (210)

Rd. 14, #412 - Ricardo Nanita

Picks below: Ian Kennedy (425)

The Dodgers got us 3 times in that 2002 draft, and I didn't even look past round 20. Loney, Broxton, and Martin were picked immediately after our guys. Not to mention Bliingsley in the 1st round of 2003.

Edited by SoxFan1