Tank ... TANKED!!!

Bears say goodbye to troubled defensive tackle

By Larry Mayer

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – The Bears stood by and supported Tank Johnson throughout a series of transgressions, but violating the club’s no-tolerance policy cost him his job.

The Bears on Monday waived the troubled defensive tackle, who was pulled over and arrested by police in Arizona at 3:30 a.m. Friday.

“We are upset and embarrassed by Tank’s actions last week,” said general manager Jerry Angelo. “He compromised the credibility of our organization. We made it clear to him that he had no room for error. Our goal was to help someone through a difficult period in his life, but the effort needs to come from both sides. It didn’t, and we have decided to move on.”

Johnson was released from Cook County Jail May 13 after serving 60 days for a probation violation stemming from a gun charge. On June 3, he was suspended by the NFL without pay for the first eight games of the regular season for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

While Johnson was in jail, he was visited by several members of the Bears organization including Angelo, coach Lovie Smith, chairman of the board Michael McCaskey and several teammates.

“A lot of people within our organization gave extra time and energy to support Tank: players, coaches and our front office,” Smith said. “We did our best to establish an environment for him to move forward. Ultimately, Tank needed to live up to his side of the deal.”

Good for the Bears. They look like the good guys in all of this.

They stand behind their troubled player, give him another chance. When he effs it up, say, hey, man, we gave you your chance, thanks but SEE YA!

:hawk:

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
God damn I hope he can change his ways. He's nothing like Pac-man, henry, etc.. Tank is actually a good guy, just makes some stupid decisions.

I know a lot of great guys that have loaded assault weapons hanging around their house for their little kids to play with. Tank is an ass. The Bears knew it when they drafted him and they had it beat into their heads while they employed him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
Glad the organization stepped up and made him pay for the mistake (I assume this means he was in fact under the influence).

Nope. They are not waiting for the BAC results.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 02:03 PM)
Nope. They are not waiting for the BAC results.

Interesting. I guess they are just blaming him for being in the situation. I know I've been out many a times around 3 AM (usually heading back home or having grub at a Denny's type of place). That said if I have drank I always have a sober driver (and sometimes it is me that is the sober driver). I consider myself a responsible person even though I have a lot of late weekeend nights but I don't have the past that Tank has.

Still I find it funny people lament someone for being out at 3 when I'm sure at that age they did it too (not taking his prior factors into consideration).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)
Interesting. I guess they are just blaming him for being in the situation. I know I've been out many a times around 3 AM (usually heading back home or having grub at a Denny's type of place). That said if I have drank I always have a sober driver (and sometimes it is me that is the sober driver). I consider myself a responsible person even though I have a lot of late weekeend nights but I don't have the past that Tank has.

Still I find it funny people lament someone for being out at 3 when I'm sure at that age they did it too (not taking his prior factors into consideration).

Except you can't do that. The only reason people are pissed that he was out that late, speeding and possibly drunk is because of the trouble he had been in previously. If this were his first offense I doubt many would be all that upset.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
God damn I hope he can change his ways. He's nothing like Pac-man, henry, etc.. Tank is actually a good guy, just makes some stupid decisions.

Are you his former roommate in college or something?

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 04:10 PM)

This is just a guess but sicne they had to take blood I'm guessing he refused to blow. That in itself make himself look guilty of something and probably a big factor in why they said adios.

You know me and normally I would be up to no good being out at 3am also.. but these days.. when the mood strikes for a Klondike bar, one must go get a Klondike bar. :lolhitting

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 02:16 PM)
This is just a guess but sicne they had to take blood I'm guessing he refused to blow. That in itself make himself look guilty of something and probably a big factor in why they said adios.

You know me and normally I would be up to no good being out at 3am also.. but these days.. when the mood strikes for a Klondike bar, one must go get a Klondike bar. :lolhitting

Haha, this past weekend it was Chicken and Waffles for me and they were freaking amazing. Almost as good as the food at that breakfast place that one Soxfest (that was some of the best late night breakfast ever).

s***, I need to get some vacation in and get back out to Chicago (especially now that I should be able to pick up seats with ease in September, lol).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 04:18 PM)
Haha, this past weekend it was Chicken and Waffles for me and they were freaking amazing. Almost as good as the food at that breakfast place that one Soxfest (that was some of the best late night breakfast ever).

s***, I need to get some vacation in and get back out to Chicago (especially now that I should be able to pick up seats with ease in September, lol).

The White Palace.

Let me know if/when you are coming out. We have plenty of tickets avaliable. Also I don't know how pleased I will to be sitting at the Bears games 6+ months pregnant.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)
The White Palace.

Let me know if/when you are coming out. We have plenty of tickets avaliable. Also I don't know how pleased I will to be sitting at the Bears games 6+ months pregnant.

At least the baby in the oven will keep you a bit warmer. God was it cold that day....but what an amazing night (Jim walking out of the bathroom as we are going nuts over PK's grand slam....Pods walk off...wow).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 04:23 PM)
At least the baby in the oven will keep you a bit warmer. God was it cold that day....but what an amazing night (Jim walking out of the bathroom as we are going nuts over PK's grand slam....Pods walk off...wow).

Sniff, sniff... memories.

:crying

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 04:16 PM)

I would have refused the roadside test, if that was what was offered, but he should have agreed to do the one at the office. I took that roadside one once and it said I was so drunk the cop was wondering how i was standing. i had had 2 beers in the last 3 hours. oops! That said, good move Bears.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)

I feel it's probably almost certain that the Bears would have sat down with Tank and told him exactly what they wanted to see out of him in order to hang onto him. That's what I would have done. And a self-imposed curfew would be one of those things. I can't imagine the Bears didn't tell him that if he was out late and risking any trouble at all, he'd be gone.