Sox Will Continue to Say No

Gregory Pratt

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Doug Laumann is back as the White Sox's director of amateur scouting, a position he held from 2001 to 2003.

He's on board with GM Ken Williams' directive to draft "championship players," though the Sox will continue to avoid selecting Scott Boras clients.

"It handcuffs us a little bit, but at the same time there are other organizations that will deal with his people, which pushes down some other guys that we are able to deal with," Laumann said.

Laumann might have the distinction of making a top-10 pick in the 2008 draft, something the Sox haven't done in the last 17 seasons.

"You never want to look forward to having a high pick," he said, "but we'll try and take advantage of it."

THIS, IMO, is one of the bigger problems with our organization going into the future. There are some people you don't give huge money too (Joe Borchard who was more football player than baseball player), but if Pedro Alvarez hires Boras, we pass? f*** that!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
Jordan Danks doesn't belong where we'll be drafting next year. If we signed him in the spot we'll be in KW would deserve to be fired immediately.

Depends on who leaves as a FA, who signs them, and what their record is. And whether or not Danks falls towards the sandwich round. And so forth.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 04:37 PM)
And yet the biggest impact player acquired this past offseason is a Boras client.

You know that's different, though. We dealt for Danks and don't have to deal with Boras for three years. It's not the same as giving a first round pick a big fat bonus.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)
You know that's different, though. We dealt for Danks and don't have to deal with Boras for three years. It's not the same as giving a first round pick a big fat bonus.

I understand that. It was merely meant as an ironic aside.

As I said in DS thread........Nothing at all has changed picks will be spam instead of steak and this guy works cheap as is JR "MO" for minor league scouting dept. This appointment not really a hire really is disrespectful to ALL fans that invest time and money into being Sox fans. :angry:

The guy would inspire more confidence if his statements made sense.

"It handcuffs us a little bit, but at the same time there are other organizations that will deal with his people, which pushes down some other guys that we are able to deal with," Laumann said.

:huh: Just because other teams are willing to deal with Boras doesn't mean they avoid non-Boras players. The only ones who get "pushed down" are Boras clients. They may go lower than talent would dictate, but others can only go higher.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 04:39 PM)

So in 3 years the we let Danks leave, just so we don't have to deal with Boras?

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
So in 3 years the we let Danks leave, just so we don't have to deal with Boras?

Nope, we'll deal with him. But thankfully we didn't have to deal with Boras when drafting Danks.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 05:04 PM)
Nope, we'll deal with him. But thankfully we didn't have to deal with Boras when drafting Danks.

I'm not so sure we will deal with him. Crede was gonna be gone after 2008 because he is a Boras client. So I take it if Danks pitches unbelievable for the next 3 years, then Boras is gonna want a big payday for him also. To me the whole, we won't deal with Boras is a bunch of crap.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 04:50 PM)
The guy would inspire more confidence if his statements made sense.

:huh: Just because other teams are willing to deal with Boras doesn't mean they avoid non-Boras players. The only ones who get "pushed down" are Boras clients. They may go lower than talent would dictate, but others can only go higher.

It's funny because the exact opposite of what he said is true. If the White Sox as well as other teams ahead of them in the draft refuse to deal with Boras clients then the Boras players will drop from where they were supposed to go and players the Sox may have been interested in who are not Boras clients will end up being selected earlier in the draft than they probably should be often times before it is time for the Sox to pick.

So in other words he's already perpetuating falsehoods as fact.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)
I'm not so sure we will deal with him. Crede was gonna be gone after 2008 because he is a Boras client. So I take it if Danks pitches unbelievable for the next 3 years, then Boras is gonna want a big payday for him also. To me the whole, we won't deal with Boras is a bunch of crap.

After 3 years Danks will be eligible for ARBITRATION meaning Boras will still have to wait another 3 years to get Danks his big payday. So in other words, this shouldn't become a problem until 2013, assuming Danks is still with the team at that time and the planet isn't run by giant, cyborg ants or some s***.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)
It's funny because the exact opposite of what he said is true. If the White Sox as well as other teams ahead of them in the draft refuse to deal with Boras clients then the Boras players will drop from where they were supposed to go and players the Sox may have been interested in who are not Boras clients will end up being selected earlier in the draft than they probably should be often times before it is time for the Sox to pick.

After 3 years Danks will be eligible for ARBITRATION meaning Boras will still have to wait another 3 years to get Danks his big payday. So in other words, this shouldn't become a problem until 2013, assuming Danks is still with the team at that time and the planet isn't run by giant, cyborg ants or some s***.

Seriously....Danks is under control for a long time. However, I have no problem with them passing on Boras players if they are going to ask for ridiculous money, that said you should still call him up and talk to him about what it would take to sign his client if they drafted him (cause it could very well be a more than fair deal).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 05:16 PM)

Thanks for the info Kalpse.

I just don't agree with the whole not dealing with Boras idea. To me it comes across as cheap, this years draft was a perfect example. We drafted the Poreda kid instead of the Porcello kid just because he is represented by Boras. But then the Tigers go ahead and draft Porcello. We are in the 3rd largest market in the U.S. you would think if Detroit can afford to deal with Boras, we should be able to. Boras always seems to have the most talented players, but we refuse to deal with him. I just don't get it.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 03:22 PM)
Thanks for the info Kalpse.

I just don't agree with the whole not dealing with Boras idea. To me it comes across as cheap, this years draft was a perfect example. We drafted the Poreda kid instead of the Porcello kid just because he is represented by Boras. But then the Tigers go ahead and draft Porcello. We are in the 3rd largest market in the U.S. you would think if Detroit can afford to deal with Boras, we should be able to. Boras always seems to have the most talented players, but we refuse to deal with him. I just don't get it.

That said, look how many teams made the same decision. You should deal with Boras if the demands are worthy but if drafting the Boras client is going to cost you way more than the player is worth or prevent you from being able to go above slot money later on in the draft than it is a mistake.

I just think the Sox should take it on a case by case basis. I also think they are pretty accurate in terms of not dealing with Boras in free agency, but they shouldn't just ignore the player. No reason you don't make contact if a player interests you, but if it is going to be a poor financial/baseball decision to give them the money the player is asking than you move on and find someone else (but you should at least take the time to inquire).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 03:16 PM)

Wouldn't Boras be involved in negotiating Danks' contract during the arbitration-elibible years? That's what I was referring to. If not, my mistake.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
Wouldn't Boras be involved in negotiating Danks' contract during the arbitration-elibible years? That's what I was referring to. If not, my mistake.

Yes, but either way all if the two sides disagree you just go to arbitration. You also have to remember the Sox dealt with Boras in regards to Crede with arbitration and were able to work out deals.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 05:25 PM)
That said, look how many teams made the same decision. You should deal with Boras if the demands are worthy but if drafting the Boras client is going to cost you way more than the player is worth or prevent you from being able to go above slot money later on in the draft than it is a mistake.

I just think the Sox should take it on a case by case basis. I also think they are pretty accurate in terms of not dealing with Boras in free agency, but they shouldn't just ignore the player. No reason you don't make contact if a player interests you, but if it is going to be a poor financial/baseball decision to give them the money the player is asking than you move on and find someone else (but you should at least take the time to inquire).

I agree with what you have to say. It should be on a case by case basis. But everything I ever read was that JR and KW will not deal with Boras at all. I just don't agree with that. Especially if teams like Detroit who are in your division are gonna go ahead and deal with Boras.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 05:30 PM)

Eh, that's usually not much of a problem. They were able to sign Crede to two 1 year contracts during his first two ARB eligible seasons with no problem. Usually Boras doesn't even get involved in the 1 year ARB eligible contracts, he just lets an associate work those out. Scott boras really only gets involved with big time draft picks and big time free agents. He has far too many clients to be worrying about a couple arb eligible players.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
Some posts have implied, but I am curious. Are there any other teams openly opposed to dealing with Boras?

I don't think any are as open with it but I know the Dodgers have been trending away from Boras clients in the recent years (since Ned Colletti took over). In the past the Dodgers were almost entirely repped by Boras (them and the Cubs probably have had the most Boras clients over the past 5-10 years).

I would also imagine that quite a few other teams are far more opposed than the Sox openly admit when it comes to negotiating with Boras clients (pretty much most of the non 80 mill plus payroll teams).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)
Eh, that's usually not much of a problem. They were able to sign Crede to two 1 year contracts during his first two ARB eligible seasons with no problem. Usually Boras doesn't even get involved in the 1 year ARB eligible contracts, he just lets an associate work those out. Scott boras really only gets involved with big time draft picks and big time free agents. He has far too many clients to be worrying about a couple arb eligible players.

In the past that was different, but he has lost a bit of power in the draft since he has so many major high profile players that are set to make a lot more money. It was earlier in his career where he really caused some major headaches for teams in the draft (not quite as much lately...he can still be tough on ocassion though, hence Weaver and Drew dropping a couple years back).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 05:36 PM)
I don't think any are as open with it but I know the Dodgers have been trending away from Boras clients in the recent years (since Ned Colletti took over). In the past the Dodgers were almost entirely repped by Boras (them and the Cubs probably have had the most Boras clients over the past 5-10 years).

I would also imagine that quite a few other teams are far more opposed than the Sox openly admit when it comes to negotiating with Boras clients (pretty much most of the non 80 mill plus payroll teams).

Interesting. If more teams besides the White Sox (and possibly Dodgers) were more opposed to Borass clients, he may have a more difficult time being the "super agent". Until then, the White Sox are missing an attractive portion of the market. ... Or his clients may be missing playing in a great situation.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 25, 2007 -> 03:34 PM)

Didn't realize that he has nothing to do with the one-year deals prior to FA, although it makes sense.

I can understand why the Sox wouldn't want to negotiate with Boras after drafting a high pick (e.g., Jeff Weaver), but if I were KW I'd just bite the bullet when it comes to the signing bonus, knowing that they're saving a ton of money by not negotiating with Boras during FA.