Chris Benoit...

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 01:32 PM)
I just think it's odd that you pop in here going off about how much of a bastard Benoit is as if it's anywhere near that simple. It isn't. (I didn't even know you were a wrestling fan.) And I just think the assertion that Benoit's been lying about who he is was a dishonest, misinformed thing to accuse him or anyone of.

But we're not going to have much of a discussion, so let's leave it at that.

His wife filed papers 4 years ago, fearing for the safety of herself and her kid. And now, they are both murdered by him and he killed himself. It's pretty cut and dry that for at least 4 years he's been living a lie as to being a great person when you consider what he's been doing at home.

Now I certainly understand the guy had some significant mental issues, but if it gets that bad, kill yourself. Don't take your wife and kid too and play God as to when their lives end.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 01:27 PM)
I can't believe somebody is arguing against the statement that somebody who kills their family and themself is evil, and compares it to the fact we are all capable of doing awful things, as well as saying people that do this are everywhere. My apologies for riding my high horse about a double murderer of his own family, I guess I do ask too much of people.

Greg never said he wasn't evil. He simply said, and backed it up nicely, that you don't have to be a liar or actor to be a monster. People live hellish lives every day that others never know about until something like this happens. The guy seemed to play the part he was paid for in terms of his perception to the "fans. In that respect I guess he was a "actor", but you don't have as many people that have come forward talking about what a great man he was if he wasn't in some capasity.

And I definitely don't think it's too much to ask not to kill your family - though I'm sure you were being facetious about that part.

-In my nearly 20 years covering pro wrestling full time, this is the saddest time and hardest story to cover. Chris Benoit was well-liked by fellow wrestlers and so respected for his contributions to the industry in the ring. He conducted himself like a professional. The main image of him that fellow wrestlers have is him walking around backstage in his slacks, shirtless, carrying a cup of coffee around. As I talked about yesterday in my VIP Daily Keller Hotline, Benoit didn't laugh or smile a lot, but when you got a laugh or smile out of him, it meant something. Few people called him a close friend, but no one had a bad word to say about him. He was all about his job and being "one of the boys." He also loved his family. He had no reputation of physical abuse. It's what makes this story so much more difficult for those who knew him to comprehend what has happened. It will never make sense. Piecing together the "whys" and "hows" will help many cope. I have nothing by sympathy for Daniel and Nancy. I pity Benoit, as a nice man was driven to horrible, evil actions that will define him and his life in a sad way that will haunt wrestling fans forever.

Much more herE: http://www.pwtorch.com/artman/publish/article_20635.shtml

Here are some random thoughts that reflect what I've been thinking and talking about the past 20 hours...

-Raw last night was a mistake. WWE personnel had reason to believe (because I did at that point from people I was talking to) that it was a murder-murder-suicide and that Chris Benoit was likely the perpetrator (based on what I was told about the text message contents they received the day before). Doing a tribute show to someone who very possibly had just killed his wife and son was a bad call. Now, that said, I soften my criticism in this respect: As after the Owen Hart death, people were under duress and not thinking clearly and had a three-hour show to create quickly. Not acknowledging Benoit would seem crass, if not presumptuous of his guilt. The tribute to him as a great family man may have been a true reflection of the person they knew, but it does in retrospect seem akin to a Hollywood or sports world tribute to O.J. Simpson's contributions as the details were sketchy regarding what happened with his wife.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
Greg never said he wasn't evil. He simply said, and backed it up nicely, that you don't have to be a liar or actor to be a monster. People live hellish lives every day that others never know about until something like this happens. The guy seemed to play the part he was paid for in terms of his perception to the "fans. In that respect I guess he was a "actor", but you don't have as many people that have come forward talking about what a great man he was if he wasn't in some capasity.

And I definitely don't think it's too much to ask not to kill your family - though I'm sure you were being facetious about that part.

Well that's different. I thought he was just generally defending Benoit. If he meant that Benoit could have actually been a good person to his peers and simply had problems at home that eventually turned him into the monster that committed these crimes, that I could see the point behind.

Admittedly, I am not much of a wrestling fan though I am familiar with Chris Benoit. Reading through this post, I was amazed by how quickly the tone went from "Prayers for his family" to "He's a bastard". We don't know exactly what happened here and we may never know the whole story. I am going to get on my soapbox for a moment and recall the early part of thread. It is not our place to make a judgment. That is the work of the Man we were all praying to in the beginning of the thread. At one time in history, churches refused to bury suicides. But as medical science and psychology gave us more insight, suicide was not really looked at in the same way. We do not know Benoit's mental health. All I am saying is that I would caution people to reserve judgment, because it is really not our place. It is God's.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)

It's an evil act, for sure, and Benoit obviously had some serious issues, but I won't call him evil. Killing someone is near-unforgiveable and killing a child is as despicable as it gets. That doesn't necessarily mean he was an evil man. There are dozens of things that could've happened here. Fights, whatever.

I do know I can't look at Benoit the same way anymore. I do know that I feel sick to my stomach. But that he's some sick, evil bastard? I can call him sick. I'm assuming you've got ot be a little sick and angry to do something like this, but you don't have to be a monster.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 01:57 PM)
It's an evil act, for sure, and Benoit obviously had some serious issues, but I won't call him evil. Killing someone is near-unforgiveable and killing a child is as despicable as it gets. That doesn't necessarily mean he was an evil man. There are dozens of things that could've happened here. Fights, whatever.

I do know I can't look at Benoit the same way anymore. I do know that I feel sick to my stomach. But that he's some sick, evil bastard? I can call him sick. I'm assuming you've got ot be a little sick and angry to do something like this, but you don't have to be a monster.

I don't agree with it, but I can appreciate your opinion. For me when someone chooses to take the life of another they are an evil monster. Thankfully there won't be millions of $$'s wasted on a trial and a jail cell.

:pray for the rest of the family.

Supposedly Nancy was killed Friday, Daniel Saturday, and Benoit Sunday..

There were A LOT of prescription drugs in the house, not sure if that means anything because im sure as a professional wrestler with the beating your body takes he would have a lot.. Steroids were found, no idea if they had anything to do with it

A bible found beside Daniel and Nancys bodies, none by Benoit..

Thats about it

It's on right now. They are saying he was hanged in the basement-area. They believe he killed his son and wife using asphyxiation. There was a bible next to the wife and son. Steroids were found.

Source- CNN

Overview of press conference

All 3 died from Asphyxiation. Benoit killed wife Friday in office area upstairs she was bounded by her wrists and ankles , his son Saturday morning in bed upstairs, Himself late Saturday early Sunday in basement in weight room with cord that pully weights are on are the reports. Steroids found in house along with prescription drugs. NO suicide note at all. They thought it bizarre he stayed in home with dead bodies in there. They found of a bible by wife and son. 2003 order of protection against Benoit by wife. Text message was recieved on Sunday but were sent much earlier so there was a lag of time from sending and recieving the message.

Edited by Soxfest