Chris Benoit...

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:15 PM)
LOL @ the Nancy Grace comment in your sig, LCR. Wish I saw it. Hopefully it will be on youtube soon.

Well, it seems I may not be around too long. Trolls are reporting me for calling them like I see them because they don't have the courage to actually back up their trolling commentary. But hey, maybe I can make some money in the meantime by selling the trolls some genuine French military rifles -- never fired and only dropped twice.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:19 PM)
Well, it seems I may not be around too long. Trolls are reporting me for calling them like I see them because they don't have the courage to actually back up their trolling commentary. But hey, maybe I can make some money in the meantime by selling the trolls some genuine French military rifles -- never fired and only dropped twice.

Who is reporting you? The only thing you should be reported for is your hatred for Randy Orton.

All you, Shadows, and I are doing is defending something we enjoy.

The only wrestling I've ever watched has been the stuff at the high school and college level...and quite frankly I can't stand professional wrestling....however i dont think that means i cant post here, as this is certainly a situation and topic that goes beyond professional wrestling....and here are my thoughts....

Not sure why so many people are so mad around here. As unfair as it may be, you can't complain if the media negatively portrays pro wrestling as a result of this. Chris Benoit as far as i know was an employee of WWE, and therefore his actions, positive or negative, reflect on pro wrestling. Just like when ozzie called mariotti a "f**," that reflected poorly on the entire chicago white sox organization. Therefore, this is entire situation is certainly a cloud that hangs over professional wrestling. That said, this is clearly not indicitive of how pro wrestlers are. Clearly, these types of things have happened to people in many different professions. I do believe, however (as with all sports) that wrestling in particular has a high rate of steroid use. I believe that this along simply with the nature of the sport (or whatever you want to call it...whether it is or isnt a sport is completely irrelevant in this thread) that it has created a culture in which the use of steroids, pain killers, and other drugs is more commonplace than in the rest of society. As many of you have said, the same can be said for the NFL as well as other leagues. But the high rate of death at an early age for pro wrestlers, whether you like it or not, should be a concern. I'm not sure and certainly not qualified to speak to the level of drug testing in pro wrestling, but i would have to imagine that something should probably be done in order to help protect the safety of the wrestlers off the mat.

That said, I don't think anyone necessarily defended Chris Benoit in this thread. I understand that LCR was remember the character and personality that benoit portrayed in the ring, as opposed to Benoit as an individual. What I think is important to remember, in any form of sports or entertainment is that what we see on TV is not the person's individual life. I, like some others in this thread, cannot call this guy anything but a disturbed, completely horrible, scumbag of a person for what he did, regardless of whatever greatness he may have achieved on tv. I understand it is hard to deal with this when the Chris Benoit many wrestling fans knew may have been a hero or an extremely well liked individual. However, it is time to let go of those emotions. Now I am not sure who had what in their avatar or sig, but I personally would find it rather disgusting and inappropriate to have a picture or some sort of tribute to anyone (their character or the real person) who could murder two innocent people, especially by strangling them. Strangling someone takes such passion and is obviously something not done by accident...the emotion it must take to kill someone as they try to resist with their last ounces of life is unimaginable.

All that said, I feel sorry for wrestling fans as this certainly portrays negatively on the WWE, just as it would on the mlb had this been a baseball player that comitted this act.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:22 PM)
Who is reporting you? The only thing you should be reported for is your hatred for Randy Orton.

All you, Shadows, and I are doing is defending something we enjoy.

Well, I am the Official Soxtalk Pro Wrestling Troll Killer. Its funny that all the trolls talk smack, get it thrown back at them and then run away. Looks like they found better bridges to live under.

And for all the people who think that pro wrestlers are drug addict asshats, I give you the following:

-http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HED/is_6_19/ai_103691820

-Mick Foley's promotion of the Christian Childrens' Fund in his new book, bringing the idea of their organization to a demographic that may not have heard of it and have a role model of "The Hardcore Icon" leading them in donations to that organization

-Their work numerous times with Make-a-Wish, even allowing a child to be an honorary Raw general manager and giving him the opportunity to announce the main event match for a recent PPV in front of millions of viewers

-WWE's work with reading programs

-WWE's work with promoting the medical care of young children who need it

-WWE's hiring of workers who need help getting on their feet or need medical care (i.e. Paul Bearer getting hired simply so he could get gastric bypass paid for)

-WWE's annual Tribute to the Troops by taking the top E talent to Iraq, Afghanistan, etc. and having them not only do meet and greets but perform an episode of Raw simply for the enjoyment of the soldiers

But hey, they are just a bunch of roided up drug addicts who aren't professionals.

And on the other hand, Orton is growing on me. If he keeps his mic time minimal and to the point, ups his in ring game a little bit (a few more moves with a little flair and high impact -- like the Hennig-esque somersault snapmare, more neckbreaker etc.) and keeps up a high level of intensity while keeping his nose clean backstage to avoid backlash, I may become an Orton mark. Then again, given Orton's backstage rep for baggage and toilets -- I would mark if they gave him a top rope cutter maneuver simply called "The Upper Decker". :)

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:34 PM)
That said, I don't think anyone necessarily defended Chris Benoit in this thread. I understand that LCR was remember the character and personality that benoit portrayed in the ring, as opposed to Benoit as an individual.

Thank you for being one of the few who actually understand what we are talking about.

I never knew the Chris Benoit outside of wrestling. I enjoyed his matches and his work. He is scum and will rot in hell and rightfully so, but it doesn't make me feel any less of his matches with Liger or anyone else.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:46 PM)
Thank you for being one of the few who actually understand what we are talking about.

I never knew the Chris Benoit outside of wrestling. I enjoyed his matches and his work. He is scum and will rot in hell and rightfully so, but it doesn't make me feel any less of his matches with Liger or anyone else.

i still dont necessarily think its the right thing to do, however, to really try to relive those memories right now, but say Mark Buerhle or Paul Konerko were the ones to do this...it would certainly be hard to cope with the fact that some players that i loved for winning a world series were being cast as such villians...that said Benoit is a scumbag, but i recognize that it is difficult for some to come to those terms and to simply forget what he may have done for wrestling

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:50 PM)
i still dont necessarily think its the right thing to do, however, to really try to relive those memories right now, but say Mark Buerhle or Paul Konerko were the ones to do this...it would certainly be hard to cope with the fact that some players that i loved for winning a world series were being cast as such villians...that said Benoit is a scumbag, but i recognize that it is difficult for some to come to those terms

Exactly.

I can still enjoy some old Pegasus Kid/Chris Benoit matches for what they were -- technical masterpieces. I can keep those fully divorced from what he became in his last days.

Plenty of ball players were total and complete dicks off the field, but what they did on the field made me a fan.

And oh yes, for the media people. If the E's 3 hr. retrospective to Benoit was in such bad taste to glorify a murderer, what do you call the constant and incessant media reporting on every last little horrid, grotesque and bizarre aspect of the Benoit family tragedy as if it is going out of style? It's the pot calling the kettle black for complaining that the E ran their show tastelessly and for ratings.

The E had no idea at the time that Raw ran that Benoit was a murderer. The media does have the foresight of knowing that. So what's their excuse for this glorification and full on media attention to this orgy of violence?

Watching FOX News right now...

We don't have toxicology reports back but "Roid Rage? What is it and did it cause this?" What whore reporting.

Benoit was tested in April via the Wellness Policy and according to the SI reporter on there now, Benoit tested negative.

They have no direct evidence of positive tests for illegal steroid use yet the whores in the media with the "roid rage" BS. Nobody knows yet and so therefore they chose not to wait to have all the facts in before they spewed.

The E representative lawyer did a good job out there in the firefight. He was really hitting home the child care issue being a big problem for the entire family -- his road schedule not allowing him to be home as much to take care of his disabled child, trying to find an adequate school district for his child, his child just having special education needs (which can be a big issue for some parents -- wondering how the kid can have a disability and getting depressed about their own self-worth that they could have caused that error for their child) and other child care issues.

It might be just much more coldly logical than we all originally thought.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
Your not killing trolls, your dumbing down the area. Kinda like wrestling and the Cubs do with their fanbases, so don't give yourself too much credit. I just love being a troll for not defending a double murderer and steroid use, it is cute.

Show me a quotation where I defended what Benoit did.

C'mon, just simply show me a quote that I made defending his actions after the information came out that it was a confirmed murder/suicide.

It should be easy, troll.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:22 PM)
Show me a quotation where I defended what Benoit did.

C'mon, just simply show me a quote that I made defending his actions after the information came out that it was a confirmed murder/suicide.

It should be easy, troll.

You and several others have spent almost the entire thread defending his actions via excuses for them. It's always "it's a terrible thing he did, but". There should be no but, he's a juiced up freak who killed his wife and kid just for the hell of it. Troll.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:24 PM)
You and several others have spent almost the entire thread defending his actions via excuses for them. It's always "it's a terrible thing he did, but". There should be no but, he's a juiced up freak who killed his wife and kid just for the hell of it. Troll.

If we spent the entire thread defending him being a murderer, then it should be no problem to quote them.

C'mon, just a quote of mine where I said I defended and condoned Chris's actions after the murder suicide was confirmed.

Just one quote, troll.

PS: Excellent sig, troll. I believe the appropriate terminology you would look for is non sequitor.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:24 PM)

You are so jaded and clueless.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
You are so jaded and clueless.

There's so many quotes to choose from, perhaps he's just having difficulty paring it down to just one. Yes, that is what his backing down right now and not posting must be. But then, it allows for terribly funny non sequitor sigs like: "Soxtalk: Want to be personally attacked by a mod? Just post your beliefs that there is no excuse for murder and that steroids don't lead to excellence. That should do the trick."

There are justifications for murder, even the law recognizes that -- hence different degrees, manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter et al. And I never said that steroids led to excellence. Hell, the toxicology reports haven't come in but 101's crystal ball divining must already know the results! Hell, throw away his negative drug test from April and no 100% proof that he had been taking steroids! Who needs facts when you have emotional babble! But way to be accurate there, troll.

QUOTE(LowerCaseRepublican @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:40 PM)
And I never said that steroids led to excellence. But way to be accurate there, troll.

I think he was referring to Shawdows sig quote a few days ago.

All the facts have been laid out, maybe this thread has ran it's course and should be locked so no more people come and start stuff with people who are discussing the topic.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:43 PM)
I think he was referring to Shawdows sig quote a few days ago.

All the facts have been laid out, maybe this thread has ran it's course and should be locked so no more people come and start stuff with people who are discussing the topic.

He was talking about me, my personal opinion on steroids should really be no business or concern of his. I never said anything negative to him except its a personal preference, and thats about all there is. No one has defended what Benoit did here, they cant even come up with any quotes to back up their lame ass accusations. The only thing they can do is get back handed by LCR and then report him because they cant defend it.

There is no reason to have you guys come in here and start bashing wrestling and all this bulls***. You don't like, alright cool then please go away. And if you are going to start posting stuff about how were defending Benoit and wrestlers aren't athletes for the love of god at least get your damn facts straight.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:58 PM)
Turned on Off the Record before, and it's pathetic how the media is trying to pin this all because of steroids.

Everyone and their brother saw that coming a mile away. And they'll keep at it, no matter how much evidence there may be to go against it.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:51 PM)
Enough with the baiting in this thread, if you're just looking for trouble--don't post in the thread.

Now that you've been warned, anything else will result in suspensions.

Gratzi.

This Benoit thing may end up causing the industry to lessen the days that the workers are available, a more stringent testing program and having more on-site medical facilities available (both mental and physical). It may also end up having the E re-assess its' "image" of the wrestlers they go after.

If the E can ride out the "roid rage" storm of lazy reporting (I mean, tox reports aren't in yet, he had a negative test in April and there is no direct evidence that he injected but that could change within the timeframe of the tox report being released), then it could survive well. I'm more surprised that the media hasn't given more screen time/page space to the issues of child care (especially special education) when it comes to two professionals working and coping mechanisms of some families in dealing with having a special needs child. But I guess that isn't nearly as flashy as steroids given the hullabaloo in Congress, etc. recently.

If anything, the whole issue of child care and the possibility of neglect/abuse/parental issues coming out of this got me off my ass and I am going to start volunteering at a local Crisis Nursery (a 24-7-365 care center for people who have crises and no safe place to watch/play/feed their kids for a time period).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:58 PM)
Turned on Off the Record before, and it's pathetic how the media is trying to pin this all because of steroids.

Ive been watching this crap all day.. not a single person has sounded like they even knew what they were talking about.. I kid you not, this was how a conversation on Nancy Grace went earlier..

Nancy: "Can you buy steroids online? isn't that illegal?"

Fat guy she was talking to: "I don't know"

Then of course there was the four horseman to raw debacle in LCR's signature..

If you want to blame steroids for this, fine do it, but to sit here and say that it was because of roid rage? You've got nothing there. Roid Rage is a violent outburst, it wouldn't make someone methodically kill their family and themselves over a three day period. The fact that neither was beaten, and he left the bibles next to them should be evidence enough that he thought out what he had done. Same thing with sending the text messages pretty much telling them something is wrong.

If it was roid rage, he would have snapped and beat them both to death on the spot

Edited by Shadows