White Sox Winner!

briguy27

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 11:18 PM)
We'll you really feel that much better if the team finishes at 75-87 than if they finished at 63-99? Either way you miss the playoffs but one of them brings you a much higher draft pick.

But there is a pretty good chance that draft pick will bust. And with the Sox who don't take Boras clients, that chance increases.

Top 5 draft picks from 1998-2002. They say it takes at least five years to judge a draft, so I took the 2002 draft and the four before it. 14 out of the 25 picks are busts.

1. Pat Burrell

2. Mark Mulder

3. Corey Patterson

4. Jeff Austin

5. JD Drew

1. Josh Hamilton

2. Josh Beckett

3. Eric Munson

4. Corey Myers

5. BJ Garbe

1. Adrian Gonzalez

2. Adam Johnson

3. Luis Montanez

4. Mike Stodolka

5. Justin Wayne

1. Joe Mauer

2. Mark Prior

3. Dewon Brazelton

4. Gavin Floyd

5. Mark Texeira

1. Bryan Bullington

2. BJ Upton

3. Chris Gruler

4. Adam Loewen

5. Clint Everts

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, but I cant just root for the Sox to lose for a higher draft pick, when there is a better than 50% chance that player will bust.

Edited by WhiteSoxfan1986

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:32 AM)
But there is a pretty good chance that draft pick will bust. And with the Sox who don't take Boras clients, that chance increases.

Top 5 draft picks from 1998-2002. They say it takes at least five years to judge a draft, so I took the 2002 draft and the four before it. 14 out of the 25 picks are busts.

1. Pat Burrell

2. Mark Mulder

3. Corey Patterson

4. Jeff Austin

5. JD Drew

1. Josh Hamilton

2. Josh Beckett

3. Eric Munson

4. Corey Myers

5. BJ Garbe

1. Adrian Gonzalez

2. Adam Johnson

3. Luis Montanez

4. Mike Stodolka

5. Justin Wayne

1. Joe Mauer

2. Mark Prior

3. Dewon Brazelton

4. Gavin Floyd

5. Mark Texeira

1. Bryan Bullington

2. BJ Upton

3. Chris Gruler

4. Adam Loewen

5. Clint Everts

I wouldn't really call Mark Prior a bust. He dominated until getting hurt, which isn't his fault. As for Floyd, he has pitched brilliantly down in AAA. The jury is still out on him until we see what he can do up in the majors. Nontheless, point taken. I still don't care, though. I'd rather not win an extra 10 games and end up with the chance of getting a stud than none at all. Plus, like others have said, a high pick like that would be a lot more valuable in trades and we all know KW likes trading his prospects.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
10 out of 25 is not bad at all, and the jury is still out on Prior and Floyd.

Its 14 out of 25. I highly doubt either of those two amount to more than a #4 starter.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 11:37 PM)
I wouldn't really call Mark Prior a bust. He dominated until getting hurt, which isn't his fault.

A lot of the pitchers on that lists are busts because they got hurt. Thats the risk you take drafting a pitcher, especially a high schooler.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)
Its 14 out of 25. I highly doubt either of those two amount to more than a #4 starter.

A lot of the pitchers on that lists are busts because they got hurt. Thats the risk you take drafting a pitcher, especially a high schooler.

Prior amounted to something more then a #4 starter. He amounted to becoming a cy young candidate and led the Cubs in the playoffs to almost a world series.

And just because you don't think they will amount to anything more then a 4th starter doesn't mean they will. Floyd is still considered a possibly no. 2 or even 1. And if Prior finally leaves the Cubs, he can return his dominant stuff.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 11:42 PM)

I put ten, but I meant 11 have succeeded out of 25, with Prior 12, and possibly Floyd 13. 13 guys out of 25 is pretty good.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 11:32 PM)
5. Clint Everts

*Off topic here* but god damn there's a name there. Hard to believe how young that kid still is (younger than Floyd if I'm not mistaken) He still has at least 2 years to turn it around but IMO, his best bet is to be traded and work with another pitching coach. His K numbers are still there just walks the world. Actually just last year kinda messed his development up somehow.

I'll take my chances with 64 wins, a top 3 pick and first round Type A free agent protection rather than a .500 record, a pick between 18-23 and possibly losing that first round pick if KW decides to go after any Type A free agents this offseason.

In defense of the s***ty drafts the Sox continue to have many people point to the fact that the Sox haven't had a top 10 pick in 17 years and in order to get yourself a Verlander you need a pick at the top of the draft. Well this is the year we finally get our chance at picking a Verlander and I will embrace it.

Last 4 White Sox top 10 picks:

1990 - #4 - Alex Fernandez - Very good pitcher for a number of years

1989 - #7 - Frank Thomas - Greatest player in the history of the franchise

1988 - #10 - Robin Ventura - One of the best players in team history

1987 - #5 - Jack McDowell - Dominant starter for 4 consecutive seasons in the early 90's, Last Cy Young award winner the franchise has seen.

I want a top 5 pick damnit!

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 26, 2007 -> 11:45 PM)
Prior amounted to something more then a #4 starter. He amounted to becoming a cy young candidate and led the Cubs in the playoffs to almost a world series.

And just because you don't think they will amount to anything more then a 4th starter doesn't mean they will. Floyd is still considered a possibly no. 2 or even 1. And if Prior finally leaves the Cubs, he can return his dominant stuff.

I should say that I meant they have been busts SO FAR. And Prior has had about three decent years in the big leagues, so I shouldn't call him a bust.

That being said you are kidding yourself if you think Gavin ends up being a #1 or #2 starter.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 12:05 AM)
I should say that I meant they have been busts SO FAR. And Prior has had about three decent years in the big leagues, so I shouldn't call him a bust.

That being said you are kidding yourself if you think Gavin ends up being a #1 or #2 starter.

why not? He has a plus fastball and a plus-plus curveball. He was drafted fourth overall in the thoughts of him ebing a future ace. He was rushed, IMO. Anything can happen, this is baseball... Also, I personally see him as a 2 or 3, but hey, thats just me.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 12:35 AM)
why not? He has a plus fastball and a plus-plus curveball. He was drafted fourth overall in the thoughts of him ebing a future ace. He was rushed, IMO. Anything can happen, this is baseball... Also, I personally see him as a 2 or 3, but hey, thats just me.

I still don't think he ends up as a #1 or #2. At best I say a #3, probably more of a back of the rotation guy or a even a good bullpen arm.