Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

A Buehrle re-signing would show everyone that the sox aren't going to blow the whole team up--that they plan on being competitive for the next 4-5 years. That's important to the players, us fans, and potential free agents [only one I care about--Ichiro].

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:20 PM)
would love to jetison Vaz and Count for some infield or pen help, then see a push to sign Zambrano in the off season, setting up an awesome rotation next season - Zambrano, Buehrle, Garland, Danks/Floyd/Gio.

Yuck. Not going to happen.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:23 AM)
A Buehrle re-signing would show everyone that the sox aren't going to blow the whole team up--that they plan on being competitive for the next 4-5 years. That's important to the players, us fans, and potential free agents [only one I care about--Ichiro].

Bingo! Although Ichiro...not so much. I don't think they will spend the money on him...

If they do plan on going after him, though, do you think about keeping Iguchi?

(didn't mean to derail the thread)

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:14 PM)
Just beware that if we sign Mark, which I REALLY hope we do, we are probably going to have to trade 1 or 2 other starters. And that can be any combination of Contreras, Vazquez and Garland. Now, I'm sure Contreras is the one that all of us can agree on, but don't rule out Garland being shipped out. He probably would have more suitors and would get a better return than Vazquez...if only because Garland has been pretty consistent since 2005 and Vazquez has been a bit up and down.

I hope we have a rotation of MB/JG/JV/JD and one of Floyd/Masset/Gonzalez next year, but, if this breaking story tells you something, it's that anything can happen.

If both Count and Vaz are traded because of MArk's re-signing, the sox would have to get one or more top SP prospects that are able to pull a Danks and step into the 2008 rotation right away. But more likely only one of the Count or Vaz would be dealt.

If they could lock up Garland and Buerhle, build around that and move Contreras and Vazquez that would be great. Contreras and Vazquez are pitchers that Omar has been interested in before, they are locked up for a while.

Its kind of funny. A few years back, KW put out publically that he would sign either Garland or Contreras, and trade the other if they didnt agree to a long term deal. They both capitulated in a short period of time. Now we put Buerhle on the block, and within a few days we hear that they are close to a long term deal.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:28 AM)
If both Count and Vaz are traded because of MArk's re-signing, the sox would have to get one or more top SP prospects that are able to pull a Danks and step into the 2008 rotation right away. But more likely only one of the Count or Vaz would be dealt.

Vaz would get more than Count. Although, I think Vaz is worth keeping around. We'll see.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:25 PM)
Bingo! Although Ichiro...not so much. I don't think they will spend the money on him...

If they do plan on going after him, though, do you think about keeping Iguchi?

(didn't mean to derail the thread)

It's related. A Mark signing would mean the sox needing to get competitive for 2008. And that means free agents or trades for major leaguers not A ball prospects.

I don't think a Ichiro signing would depend on Iguchi being here. I don't think Ichiro needs Tad here to hold his hand.

I think the sox would or should target Luis Castillo for 2b. He could hit leadoff or #2, w/o sacrificing defense. And give the sox better offense.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:32 AM)
Vaz would get more than Count. Although, I think Vaz is worth keeping around. We'll see.

Both of them could dominate the National League. They should be attractive to National League teams.

I saw this in the Sun-Times first thing this morning (at about 5:45AM) arriving at O'Hare after being stranded overnight out of town.

And it made my day.

You're damn right sign him! Count can go, Vaz too. Garland's not going anywhere, BTW.

I repeat my vows about this: if they do this, I will resume going to games (this saves at least part of the season for me) and I will buy a Buehrle jersey.

DO IT!

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
It's related. A Mark signing would mean the sox needing to get competitive for 2008. And that means free agents or trades for major leaguers not A ball prospects.

I don't think a Ichiro signing would depend on Iguchi being here. I don't think Ichiro needs Tad here to hold his hand.

I think the sox would or should target Luis Castillo for 2b. He could hit leadoff or #2, w/o sacrificing defense. And give the sox better offense.

I didn't mean to hold his hand, necessarily, I just meant that it would be easier for both of them AND would help with the Japanese press. Seattle has a HUGE Japanese population, more than Chicago, at least, but with both of them here, this would raise the stakes for the Japanese press to cover the White Sox and might keep Ichiro at the top of the heap...at least more so than if he went to KC or Milwaukee.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:34 AM)
I saw this in the Sun-Times first thing this morning (at about 5:45AM) arriving at O'Hare after being stranded overnight out of town.

And it made my day.

You're damn right sign him! Count can go, Vaz too. Garland's not going anywhere, BTW.

I repeat my vows about this: if they do this, I will resume going to games (this saves at least part of the season for me) and I will buy a Buehrle jersey.

DO IT!

Building a rotation around Buerhle and Garland makes sense. They are both young, innings eaters, and have gotten better over the years.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)

I agree. Though I could see a scenario where someone offers a deal KW can't refuse for Vaz, ala BMac, where Vaz's replacement could put up a similar ERA in 2008. Vaz may not be suited for the Cell.

If he does end up re-signing for 5+ years I won't complain but I'm still not convinced that this won't come back to bite the Sox in the ass in the coming years. If Kenny turned around and dealt Mark right now for a very nice package of young talent instead of inking him to a new deal, I'd be happy with that as well.

Oh my goodness...this would be amazing news. Make it happen....make it happen....please make it happen.

Than move Contreras, Dye, Thome and Iguchi (see what else you can move as well when it comes to aging veterans as well and get ready to make a run next year with a rotation headed by Buehrle/Garland/Vazquez.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:37 PM)
I didn't mean to hold his hand, necessarily, I just meant that it would be easier for both of them AND would help with the Japanese press. Seattle has a HUGE Japanese population, more than Chicago, at least, but with both of them here, this would raise the stakes for the Japanese press to cover the White Sox and might keep Ichiro at the top of the heap...at least more so than if he went to KC or Milwaukee.

I was just being sarcastic. I think winning should be most important to Ichiro at this point in his career in the US. If I was him, I'd want my team for the next 4,5 years to be competing for the playoffs each year. Signing Mark would be a big step towards that.

FWIW, I just heard some information that makes me believe this article is a lot more speculative than it is fact. Let's just say that teams still don't think there's a chance that Buehrle signs an extension before testing free agency.

I think the fact that if idiots like us can see how much sense this makes, KW will make it happen. :D

Esp. given how much Kenny wants the sox to win, with comments about how the thought of trading away players who helped win in 2005 makes him "sick".

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 07:44 AM)
FWIW, I just heard some information that makes me believe this article is a lot more speculative than it is fact. Let's just say that teams still don't think there's a chance that Buehrle signs an extension before testing free agency.

I think it is pretty close to 50/50 and I've remained pretty optimistic on this front. The Sox are the one and only team he'd extend with (the other possibility would be the Cards if he was moved there and that is based on pure speculation on my part).

Either way I think this gives the Sox more bargaining power as well (as with them at least close to an extension another team would have to step up and make an even better offer, otherwise Kenny can counter and go no we are going to get something done).

Plus if it is true and the Sox weren't getting front line value for him, than this is even better news because we get to keep our front line pitcher who is still in his prime and should be for the next few years (crossing fingers).

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:44 AM)

You and your crazy mystery information!

Maybe it's because Buehrle's agent was in Flah-rida this week? Who knows, it could happen.

I think this is a result of Buerhle thinking, I am going to be moved and what do I want long term? The Sox sucking right now will get his deal done as should a playoff run as was thought to occur have been taking place right now, there is no trade or extension talk.

If this signing happens, I hope MB shows up wearing a Cardinal hat at a press conference.

This team blowing also gives the team time to find the 5th starter. The schedule gets real hard after the break and seeing them perform against the Indians and Tigers wheather it be Floyd, Broadway or whoever should answer questions for next season.