Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
There probably isn't too much a difference to Buerhle if he makes $50 million or $100 million, but he would hate 20,30, 40, 50 years from now to find out there was. There's more than a couple of players who were apparently set for life, finding out otherwise. Also the union would be concerned about the effect it would have on similar pitcher's contract offers. It conceivable could lower the "market rate." You can be pissed off at the union all you want, but its probably been as successful as any in history. If he's considering signing this reported contract, you can be assured he's being pressured not to.

Shut up DA you don't know what you are talking about...

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:52 PM)
OJ simpson still lives fine off his NFL pension.

I dunno, he makes good money hunting down the real killers of his wife and Ronald Goldman on the finest golf courses throughout the state of Florida.

Edited by knightni

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
I don't think so....$10mm in the life of Mark Buerhle is not going to make or break his financial well-being...if he is dumb enough to blow $50mm he would sure enough blow through $60mm if he had it. Mark Buerhle VIII (the eighth) should be covered for his lifetime as well.

Well I guess he could go broke if he gets divorced a few times, that seems to cost quite a bit (ask Frank Thomas)...but I am sure they still get a MLB pension, which OJ simpson still lives fine off his NFL pension.

Hi Mark's accountant.

:rolleyes.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
Who are you and I to say a player should give up an extra 20 million on the open market or 40 million. Yeah, he already has a lot of money but wouldn't you or I take an extra 50,000 (say I make 120K per year and someone offers 170K). I'm damn well entitled to that even if I could obviously still live a solid life on that other salary (and this is being modest).

I won't get into politics, but its the same reason I think it is ridiculous to assume that just because someone makes more money they should pay a higher % in taxes as opposed to just the same % everyone else pays based on that same amount of money.

You and I would maximize our income and its no different for an athlete. If they take less, more power to them, but I don't think of them any less for taking the best offer.

The point wasn't that he should/shouldn't take the deal...the response was to the fact of whether $10mm difference in salary has that large of an impact on his financial well being. Obviously Mark can do what he wants and is entitled to get as much as someone is willing to pay him. I think that much everyone can agree on...hell this is america right.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
Who are you and I to say a player should give up an extra 20 million on the open market or 40 million. Yeah, he already has a lot of money but wouldn't you or I take an extra 50,000 (say I make 120K per year and someone offers 170K). I'm damn well entitled to that even if I could obviously still live a solid life on that other salary (and this is being modest).

I won't get into politics, but its the same reason I think it is ridiculous to assume that just because someone makes more money they should pay a higher % in taxes as opposed to just the same % everyone else pays based on that same amount of money.

You and I would maximize our income and its no different for an athlete. If they take less, more power to them, but I don't think of them any less for taking the best offer.

You are misunderstanding my point. I would not hold it against Mark if he wanted to maximize his value on the open market. If he wants to go get $90 million from someone dumb enough to do it, more power to him.

I'm merely saying that it isn't analogous to compare the average person needing to maximize their earning potential to Mark needing to maximize his earning potential. The effect it would have on his lifestyle would be neglible, assuming he isn't the most fiscally irresponsible person in the world (Mike Tyson comes to mind). From everything I have ever read, heard, or seen about Mark, he isn't. He appears to be a fairly simple person.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
I'm assuming there is an actual difference it would make on your lifestyle. At some point, you're making so much damn money it doesn't really matter anymore, you just want to be in the place you want to be. What's the damn difference between having $50 million and having $60 million in your bank account on your daily lifestyle? Not much. But what might the difference be in living where you are comfortable and living where you aren't? I would imagine it could be quite substantial.

Respect. That's all it really is.

"Well, Pitcher X got this contract and my numbers are better, plus I won a World Series."

"Yes, but Pitcher X also won a Cy Young and is younger."

Etc., etc.

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:56 PM)
The point wasn't that he should/shouldn't take the deal...the response was to the fact of whether $10mm difference in salary has that large of an impact on his financial well being. Obviously Mark can do what he wants and is entitled to get as much as someone is willing to pay him. I think that much everyone can agree on...hell this is america right.

It was $20M, silly facts... and I don't know what the hell you are doing on this message board if to you $10M is not a significnt financial impact.

QUOTE(103 mph screwball @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 12:57 PM)
ILSOX7 at WSI

posted the following link

Chicagosports.com

That pretty much indicates that Levine's assumption is bogus. I'm not saying the score is right either, but if Hahn is in Tampa and Buehrle's agent is in Tampa there is a freaking reason (especially based upon Buehrle's quotes in the Sun Times article this morning).

I think there is going to be some sort of special announcement around game time tonight (even if the game is in Tampa).

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:55 PM)
Hi Mark's accountant.

:rolleyes.

This is a fun topic to discuss because you can actually fantasize about if you had to worry about taking $50mm or $60mm...would be a nice problem to have for sure. The bottom line is it is really hard to blow through that much cash unless you are very very reckless.

Perhaps I should buy some powerball tix today.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
That pretty much indicates that Levine's assumption is bogus. I'm not saying the score is right either, but if Hahn is in Tampa and Buehrle's agent is in Tampa there is a freaking reason (especially based upon Buehrle's quotes in the Sun Times article this morning).

I think there is going to be some sort of special announcement around game time tonight (even if the game is in Tampa).

How is is bogus? Mark's agent said at noon "no new talks". IF he's in Tampa, and IF Hahn is on his way to Tampa, and IF they talk than that report will change.

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:59 PM)
This is a fun topic to discuss because you can actually fantasize about if you had to worry about taking $50mm or $60mm...would be a nice problem to have for sure. The bottom line is it is really hard to blow through that much cash unless you are very very reckless.

Perhaps I should buy some powerball tix today.

Many lottery winners have done exactly that.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
It was $20M, silly facts... and I don't know what the hell you are doing on this message board if to you $10M is not a significnt financial impact.

No one is claiming $20 million isn't a sh*tload of money.

Maybe the guy would rather have $50 million and play for the White Sox than $70 million and live in New York.

Why is that so difficult to imagine? It's not like we're offering him 6 figures and they're offering him 8.

Why? Buerhle's agent is saying he has no idea where the imminent signing reports are coming from. He hasn't spoken to the White Sox in a while.

Sox

By Mark Gonzales, 1:40 p.m.

Jeff Berry, the agent for Mark Buehrle, said in a telephone interview Wednesday afternoon that he was surprised by a published report that stated the team had resumed negotiations with the White Sox's left-handed ace and that a deal could be finalized by the end of the week.

"Nothing's going on," said Berry, who did acknowledge he was in the Tampa area. "Despite what's been [published].

"I'm not sure where those reports are coming from."

Berry said he hasn't spoken recently to Sox general manager Kenny Williams and said his client's status remains the same since the end of spring training -- in which any negotiations won't resume until after the season, when Buehrle becomes a free agent.

Five weeks are left before the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:48 PM)
There probably isn't too much a difference to Buerhle if he makes $50 million or $100 million, but he would hate 20,30, 40, 50 years from now to find out there was. There's more than a couple of players who were apparently set for life, finding out otherwise. Also the union would be concerned about the effect it would have on similar pitcher's contract offers. It conceivable could lower the "market rate." You can be pissed off at the union all you want, but its probably been as successful as any in history. If he's considering signing this reported contract, you can be assured he's being pressured not to.

There is no guarantee that there is a $100M contract out there for him. What is his value if he has a 5+ ERA the rest of the year. Also I go back to trying to pick where you want to play. I do not have the luxury of deciding to forego a ton of money to live whereeverI want so I can not speak of this personally but could he maybe only want to play four more years and raise a family and kick back and play with his kids? $50M goes a long way when your lifestyle is hunting and playing with dogs as oppossed to opening recording studios and building atrocious houses. If Buerhle plays in Chicago his wife is a few hour drive away from home as oppossed to palying on the coast where air travel is involved. Kind of sounds worth the $5 to $10M he could be giving up if you ask me but I am sentimental at heart and hate change.

And Jas, it wasn't an assumption. It was a direct quote from Mark's agent. Bruce is a lot of things, but a liar is not one of them.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
This ain't the mid-80's anymore, where guys are making $150,000. I'm sorry, but the courts would laugh at the MLBPA bringing a collusion suit against MLB owners right now, especially with Mark as the lead plaintiff.

I can see it now....Mr. Reinsdorf only offered Mr. Buehrle $50 million over 4 years!

I never said that the MLBPA was definitely going to sue the owners again. But they certainly can threaten and can find other ways to make life miserable for the owners. Historically, they've been very successful in doing so.

You can laugh all you want, but the MLBPA will NOT like players signing for $20 million lower than their market value. If it happens, you can bank on them using it as leverage in the next CBA, which could become a huge problem.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
There is no guarantee that there is a $100M contract out there for him. What is his value if he has a 5+ ERA the rest of the year. Also I go back to trying to pick where you want to play. I do not have the luxury of deciding to forego a ton of money to live whereeverI want so I can not speak of this personally but could he maybe only want to play four more years and raise a family and kick back and play with his kids? $50M goes a long way when your lifestyle is hunting and playing with dogs as oppossed to opening recording studios and building atrocious houses. If Buerhle plays in Chicago his wife is a few hour drive away from home as oppossed to palying on the coast where air travel is involved. Kind of sounds worth the $5 to $10M he could be giving up if you ask me but I am sentimental at heart and hate change.

I just threw 100 million out there to make a point. There is a lot better than 4/50 million.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
Why? Buerhle's agent is saying he has no idea where the imminent signing reports are coming from. He hasn't spoken to the White Sox in a while.

I can see him saying no deal is done....but if Hahn is on his way out than its likely they have already had some discussion and the rest will be finished up in person. You think Hahn would just fly out knowing the agent is out there???

My guess is they have talked, both sides are optimistic based on initial discussions and as a result the two sides agreed to meet in Tampa to get an official deal done.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
And Jas, it wasn't an assumption. It was a direct quote from Mark's agent. Bruce is a lot of things, but a liar is not one of them.

Yeah.

He only "carpet bombs" breaking news and trades.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)

Sox

By Mark Gonzales, 1:40 p.m.

Jeff Berry, the agent for Mark Buehrle, said in a telephone interview Wednesday afternoon that he was surprised by a published report that stated the team had resumed negotiations with the White Sox's left-handed ace and that a deal could be finalized by the end of the week.

"Nothing's going on," said Berry, who did acknowledge he was in the Tampa area. "Despite what's been [published].

"I'm not sure where those reports are coming from."

Berry said he hasn't spoken recently to Sox general manager Kenny Williams and said his client's status remains the same since the end of spring training -- in which any negotiations won't resume until after the season, when Buehrle becomes a free agent.

Five weeks are left before the July 31 non-waiver trading deadline

I hadn't seen that. Well, its interesting to say the least.