Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:05 PM)
I can see him saying no deal is done....but if Hahn is on his way out than its likely they have already had some discussion and the rest will be finished up in person. You think Hahn would just fly out knowing the agent is out there???

My guess is they have talked, both sides are optimistic based on initial discussions and as a result the two sides agreed to meet in Tampa to get an official deal done.

He says they haven't talked.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see him saying no deal is done....but if Hahn is on his way out than its likely they have already had some discussion and the rest will be finished up in person. You think Hahn would just fly out knowing the agent is out there???

My guess is they have talked, both sides are optimistic based on initial discussions and as a result the two sides agreed to meet in Tampa to get an official deal done.

But that's not what he said.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:02 PM)
Many lottery winners have done exactly that.

Do you know who the average lottery winner is?

I would imagine that as Mark has progressed through his mlb career, his level of financial sophistication has increased. Let's give the guy a little credit here.

And the previous poster is correct, if he blows through $50 million, he's probably blowing through $60 million as well. You're either a complete irresponsible jackass, or you're not. An extra $10 million isn't saving you there.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:01 PM)
Offman: "The Score has learned Buehrle is close to an extension..."

Sticking to their guns.

Keith, they have to.

To come out with a mea culpa at this point would be credibility sucicide.

Nobody really has any genuine idea what is actually in the works except those close to the situation.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
Many lottery winners have done exactly that.

Most of the stories I have heard is those said lottery winners that piss away their funds usually end up A) Robbing a Bank B) Killing themself C) all of the above.

Also, how does anyone on this board rationalize the difference between $10-$20 million plus to a person? I hardly make close to that money though it would be nice but for someone that has made money like that (at least $30 million for the past couple years) they can understand it more. To me $10-$20 million is a TON of money, for someone like Mark who seems to be a very simple man $10-$20 million might not be that big for him with the opportunity to stay in Chicago. I am sure there are ALOT of other factors playing into Mark's decision, family, his house, child (and one on the way), his team mates and the farm system/club that had faith in him all these years. Money isnt everything to some people.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:08 PM)
M, J, & H start ripping on them yet?

yep, but its Carmen not Mac. I think what ESPN is doing is stupid, basically calling the Score idiots and wrong and all that. If Buehrle signed the 4-year, 50 million thing it would make Carmen look like a complete moron.

I have to agree. There are such things as phones and fax machines. There would be no need for him to fly there today, if this weren't reaching some level of seriousness. Especially considering KW has said he will not negotiatie with a player during the season unless the agent comes to him, or the organization has an "epiphany."

It appears one or both of the two have occcurred, and Hahn is flying out to get this done.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:09 PM)
Most of the stories I have heard is those said lottery winners that piss away their funds usually end up A) Robbing a Bank B) Killing themself C) all of the above.

Also, how does anyone on this board rationalize the difference between $10-$20 million plus to a person? I hardly make close to that money though it would be nice but for someone that has made money like that (at least $30 million for the past couple years) they can understand it more. To me $10-$20 million is a TON of money, for someone like Mark who seems to be a very simple man $10-$20 million might not be that big for him with the opportunity to stay in Chicago. I am sure there are ALOT of other factors playing into Mark's decision, family, his house, child (and one on the way), his team mates and the farm system/club that had faith in him all these years. Money isnt everything to some people.

I actually think one day I will know what it is like to have 10-20 million and I know If I have the opportunity to get more money I'm going to do so (obviously there are certain non monetary things that have meaning...such as staying in a location or working more hours and so on and each individual has prices that make working more hours or moving to a new spot or doing something different completely livable and worht it).

Say I'm working on a contract and I have two parties, both are great parties and have a long history of doing good business. One party I've done business with in the past and one I haven't (but plenty of other major competitors have). Sure I may take a little less to do the deal with a party I'm familiar with (knowing the contacts and that we can get the deal to go through super smoothly) but when you are talking a large % (or in this case 20 million) that is ridiculous.

If it were 20 million on a 1 billion dollar deal...yeah I can see....but 10-20 million on a 40 million deal (thats a huge amount).

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:09 PM)

If money weren't important, why did he turn down the security that the White Sox offered him last ASB?

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
yep, but its Carmen not Mac. I think what ESPN is doing is stupid, basically calling the Score idiots and wrong and all that. If Buehrle signed the 4-year, 50 million thing it would make Carmen look like a complete moron.

I'm going with they have some solid as a rock evidence that Mark didn't do anything. They have a very good relationship with Sox brass and I'm sure they have confirmed above Bruce's report.

Just seems this is posturing by all involved. Let's make a list:

White Sox: Supposedly saying the Red Sox are interested

Red Sox: Claim they are not interested

Score: Close to extension

ESPN: Not close to extension

Jeff Berry: Surprised anyone said anything

Buehrle: Mum, but being coy.

Hahn: Flying to TB

I mean, come on...how many times have we seen this? Either with the Sox or some other club.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)
I have to agree. There are such things as phones and fax machines. There would be no need for him to fly there today, if this weren't reaching some level of seriousness. Especially considering KW has said he will not negotiatie with a player during the season unless the agent comes to him, or the organization has an "epiphany."

It appears one or both of the two have occcurred, and Hahn is flying out to get this done.

So now Mark's agent is the liar..

Yikes. CC, my heard hurts, too. :bang

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
It was $20M, silly facts... and I don't know what the hell you are doing on this message board if to you $10M is not a significnt financial impact.

It is not going to affect his quality of life, obviously it is a large gross number for any "normal" person but that isn't what we are talking about.

To be in the top 5% of us household incomes you need to make $157,000, at $12.5mm he makes about 80x as much as that annually. So yes, $10mm is not as big of a deal to him as it is to someone who makes $30,000 a year and gets $10mm.

To flip things around...look at how professional athletes don't care when they get fined/suspended to the tune of $100,000...what would happen to you if you got fined $100,000 by your job...$100,000 to Mark Buerhle is 1% of his income...if you screwed up at your job and they took 1% of your income you probably wouldn't care either, you would probably just be happy you have your job still after screwing up...

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Maybe Hahn is going to Tampa to ask the Count face to face to waive his no trade.

Isn't Rick Hahn the money guy, though? Not saying you are wrong, just making sure.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)

I mean, come on...how many times have we seen this? Either with the Sox or some other club.

I am sure I missed it, and I really don't want to read this entire thread again, but what did Mark say? Can someone give me a link? Thanks.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:58 PM)
It was $20M, silly facts... and I don't know what the hell you are doing on this message board if to you $10M is not a significnt financial impact.

It's about relative amounts. To the poster, it makes a HUGE difference. To someone who already has tens of millions of dollars, it won't matter as much. I'd sure like to get 100k, but Bill Gates really wouldn't care about that much money.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:14 PM)

You can't forget that half of the league is linked to some kind of Buehrle rumor this past week; it's not only the Red Sox.