Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(watchtower41 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:44 PM)
kinda makes me want to bet the house on Tampa tonight.

I would take your bet, I bet Mark pitches lights out tonight...would improve his bargaining power big time and Mark is a pretty good clutch pitcher.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:45 PM)
Then that begs the question, why wouldn't he sign the extension last summer before the ridiculous contracts were passed out? It certainly wasn't for much less than what the Score is reporting.

Umm, because he wasn't on the verge of getting dealt last season, and the constant subject of trade rumors every day?

It's more of a reality that his White Sox days are coming to a close and that may affect his decison.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
He was rated the 12th best prospect in the game by Baseball America in February. Good luck getting better value than that for Vazquez. To say it's simply a "man-crush" that this board has on him is beyond ridiculous, the guy has become a fan favorite in Arizona and is considered one of the best young players in the game by the leading minor league publication. Yeah, it's probably just a man crush.

...talk about "man-crushes" and everyone gets hot under the collar! :lol:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
I understand my point just fine. To think just because someone has $50M they don't care about another $10M is simply put, imo retarded.

Especially when one considers that Mark may want to use that extra money to set his great-grandchildren for life, build a new baseball stadium for his old high school, build a new library in his hometown, donate more money to charity, etc. The more money that Mark makes, the more money he has to give.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
And I don't recall anyone stating differently so don't know what you're arguing about.

I recall you stating that you don't care where it is, you're going where they pay you the most. That is when we brought up how the situations are entirely different.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:45 PM)
Then that begs the question, why wouldn't he sign the extension last summer before the ridiculous contracts were passed out? It certainly wasn't for much less than what the Score is reporting.

Who knows what type of family stuff is going on, as well as maybe he's been told that the Cardinals don't have the resources to go after him?

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
Especially when one considers that Mark may want to use that extra money to set his great-grandchildren for life, build a new baseball stadium for his old high school, build a new library in his hometown, donate more money to charity, etc. The more money that Mark makes, the more money he has to give.

I may be waaay off here, and this is entirely speculation based on my observation of Mark throughout his career here, but I would tend to believe that Mark would rather play where he wants to play than worry about the rare books section of the St. Charles, MO library.

Regardless, we'll just have to wait and see what he does. I won't hold it against him one way or another.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He was rated the 12th best prospect in the game by Baseball America in February. Good luck getting better value than that for Vazquez. To say it's simply a "man-crush" that this board has on him is beyond ridiculous, the guy has become a fan favorite in Arizona and is considered one of the best young players in the game by the leading minor league publication. Yeah, it's probably just a man crush.

really? A .250 hitter with an OBP of .285? That equals 12th best and an Arizona fan favorite? They must be easy to please.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:50 PM)
I recall you stating that you don't care where it is, you're going where they pay you the most. That is when we brought up how the situations are entirely different.

You recall incorrectly.

The only thing remotely close to that I said was I would not blame Mark for going to the highest bidder and doing what is right for him and his family.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:51 PM)
Who knows what type of family stuff is going on, as well as maybe he's been told that the Cardinals don't have the resources to go after him?

He's been pretty clear that he would come to the Sox before the Cards.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:51 PM)
I'm not even a Chris Young fan.

I'm not a huge fan of his or Javy's to be completely honest(though I'm very satisfied with the production we're getting from Vaz this season). Anywho, in a way trading Young allowed us to get Gavin and Gio so to be perfectly honest, I'm fine with that trade for now(wasn't a big fan when it first happened). Obviously Gavin, Gio and Chris have a ton of upside but all 3 of them need to prove how good they really can be. Should be interesting how that all works out.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)
really? A .250 hitter with an OBP of .285? That equals 12th best and an Arizona fan favorite? They must be easy to please.

He's got a ways to go but that is not bad production from a rookie, it really isn't.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)
He's been pretty clear that he would come to the Sox before the Cards.

Good idea not to bite the hand that feeds you until you get a plate of food offered from the other hand...

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:29 PM)
But it would prove that he likes it here... waa, waa, waa, bla, bla, bla, yadda, yadda, yadda...

Good grief. I like it at my job too but I aint working for less than my decided value.

I must have imagined this post then.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:42 PM)
No one has stated that he doesn't or shouldn't care about that money.

We're stating that it is conceivable he may want to play in Chicago and have $50,000,000 rather than play in New York and have $70,000,000.

In other terms, if my work offered to pay me my current salary as a bonus to move to rural Iowa to work for the next five years, I would turn it down. Same thing for Mark, essentially the $10mm differential is a years salary and it may not be worth it for him and his family to deal with the crap.

DA-

Mark may have turned down the extension last year as a bargaining chip or to try to push the sox further, maybe that is all he ever intended to do was to put pressure on the sox by bringing negotiations down to the wire...one thing is for certain is that with the sox playing the way they are I think Mark may have realized that the odds of him getting traded are/were almost guaranteed, so maybe he approached the sox and said he want to stay, doesn't want to get traded but wants a "fair" deal somewhere along the lines of what was previously discussed, would make sense. If the sox were in first place now Mark would have had much more leverage and could have had that same discussion in the offseason but he would still have the upper hand as a division winner would have a tough time selling to their fans not re-signing one of their best/favorite players.

Personally, the ideal coup would be for the sox to trade Mark and then resign him in the off-season, lets get prospects and a long-term deal signed. Of course his market value is less if teams can't sign him long-term but the sox already said they weren't granting a window to negotiate a long-term deal.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)

He's 23 years old, has 3 walkoff homeruns this year and is posting an 85 OPS+. If Sweeney could do such things while having the same upside as Young he'd probably be a fan favorite in Chicago.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:53 PM)
really? A .250 hitter with an OBP of .285?

And a slugging percentage close to .450. And 25 extra basehits, which would rate in a tie for first on the Sox.

Oh, yeah, he's a rookie too.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He's got a ways to go but that is not bad production from a rookie, it really isn't.

It isn't bad for a rookie, but is that really 12th best and good enough to be a fan fave? That is just hard to believe for me. Either the standards have lowered or Arizona fans are very easy to please.