Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
So apparently Buehrle told Farmer that he's looking for $14M a year. Seems odd that he'd just mention a fact like that during the broadcast as if it's nothing.

12.5 that is reported and 14 mill is not a major difference over 4 years.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
If Buehrle would take 5/70 and Uncle Jerry says no, then wow that's just bad. 5/70 for Buehrle is chump change, Jerry's rules on years be damned.

Perhaps Jerry can speak with the board and get them to relax that rule. Sometimes it is forgotten that there are other people's investments to take into consideration on that end. Though, keeping that in mind, the "company" has for the past 7 years put the profits back into the team. Hopefully they put it in the right place and see something in the future to build on.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 06:38 PM)
12.5 that is reported and 14 mill is not a major difference over 4 years.

Wouldn't that be some s*** if Mark says no to $12.5M but signs elsewhere for $14M a year... <_>

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 07:15 PM)
Let's remember we're talking about the same owner that let Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson walk.

Jordan retired, Pippen wanted out, the dominos fell. Different situation.

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- The ongoing tale of Mark Buehrle and whether he's staying with the White Sox via a new, multi-year contract or leaving soon via a trade sort of has become like the old saying concerning the weather in Chicago.

If you don't like what you are hearing now about Buehrle's situation, wait a few hours because it seemingly will change.

Buehrle's saga began this past weekend, when an article in the Sun-Times indicated how Boston had emerged as the frontrunner for Buehrle's services and how contract talks had been exhausted between Buehrle and the White Sox.

By Wednesday morning, WSCR 670 AM, the White Sox flagship radio station, was reporting a new multi-year deal as close to being agreed upon between the two sides. This particular report would not be confirmed by the team, although general manager Ken Williams did confirm via e-mail that assistant general manager Rick Hahn was on his way to Tampa.

"There's no official announcement," a White Sox team spokesman said earlier on Wednesday. "Anything else is speculation."

According to The Score's speculation, the deal Buehrle and the White Sox were on the verge of agreeing to covered four years, at $50 million. Another source close to the situation said an option year also could be added.

At $12.5 million per year, Buehrle would seem to be a true bargain for the White Sox. The team signed Javier Vazquez to a three-year, $34.5 million extension during Spring Training, while the open market last offseason delivered a five-year, $55 million deal to Gil Meche and a four-year, $40 million deal to Ted Lilly. Buehrle's body of work arguably is more impressive than the aforementioned hurlers.

Even Barry Zito, who broke the bank with San Francisco at seven years, $126 million, has career statistics almost identical to the White Sox ace. Buehrle has never made his desire to stay in Chicago a secret, as well as finishing his career with the only team he has ever known. It's a sentiment shared by Buehrle's wife, Jamie, with the couple expecting its first son at the end of July.

Accepting a contract at what is perceived as less than true fair market value could draw criticism from the Major League Baseball Players Association. But White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen made it clear during his pregame chat on Wednesday that Buehrle doesn't have to answer to anyone but himself and his family.

"That's his deal," said Guillen of Buehrle's contract talks. "Like I say, the Players Association and the agents and the system, let's put it this way, the system, they don't care about you. You just worry about what's best for your family.

"When I left Chicago [as a player], I was upset with the White Sox because I wanted to stay here because of my family. I wanted the best for my family and my kids to go to school there. I wanted my kids to grow up in Chicago. Everything is all about how your family is going to live.

"Like I told Mark a few minutes ago, I'm your friend but I work for this organization," Guillen added. "I want to work the best I can for both sides. No matter what decision you are going to make, I respect that decision. I respect it as a man."

Williams was grilled for close to 30 minutes prior to Sunday's series finale against the Cubs concerning possible moves he could make to change the current negative results coming from his team. With Buehrle bouncing back from a rough finish to the 2006 season, including his no-hitter on April 18, and the White Sox sitting 12 games out of a playoff spot entering Wednesday's contest, the free-agent-to-be after the 2007 season immediately became the most important bargaining chip on the open market.

Basically, Williams didn't want to trade Buehrle or didn't necessarily have to trade Buehrle, for that matter, if his asking price wasn't met. And Williams "asked for the moon," according to one source.

From the general manager's own account, moving Buehrle would have a far greater impact than simply a business move.

"It will be more difficult personally than from a business perspective -- a lot more difficult personally," said Williams on Sunday. "Because I like the man and I like his wife.

"I've sat with his mother and father. It was just last week he showed me the ultrasound of his baby. Yeah, it will be more difficult. Baseball-wise, you've got to do what you've got to do sometimes.

"Like I said, it still has to be something that, with anybody out there, it's got to be something that makes sense for us, both in the short term and the long term before we go down the road," Williams added. "It's not a given that will happen."

Deciding Buehrle's fate with the White Sox would have to happen soon, by the end of this current road trip, according to Guillen. If Buehrle indeed signs an extension, the White Sox would then probably move another veteran hurler such as Jose Contreras or Vazquez. Contreras has a no-trade clause, which he said he would wave on Wednesday, and Vazquez has a limited no-trade clause.

While Jeff Berry, Buehrle's agent, said there was nothing new to report as of Wednesday afternoon and didn't know where all the talk of the impending deals was coming, that talk could change soon if the last week has shown anything where Buehrle's situation is concerned.

"Mark [does not] want to leave," Guillen said. "If Mark [wants] to leave, he will say, 'I'll pitch my 10 games and go to the market and make my money.' [is] ee going to stay? We don't know. [is] he going to leave? I hope not."

As for Buehrle, the possible new deal could come just a few weeks ahead of the birth his first child. Buehrle recently told MLB.com that his impending family addition didn't cause him to have any more in-depth talks with Williams about speeding up the trade process to get his family settled.

"I can't really say, 'If you are going to trade me, trade me before she is due or after she is due,'" said Buehrle recently with a smile. "We didn't plan it too good, probably the worst time of the year, either now or during the World Series. We have to deal with it."

Very interesting article, especially with Ozzie saying something would have to happen this week and that Contreras would wave his NTC. Maybe I'm naive, but we'll know which direction Sox are going in tomorrow.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 07:57 PM)
Very interesting article, especially with Ozzie saying something would have to happen this week. Maybe I'm naive, but we'll know which direction Sox are going in tomorrow.

Maybe the White Sox have let it be known that tomorrow (who knows why) is a deadline of sorts for getting an extention done, and if not, the White Sox will look to make a move for next season.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:24 PM)
the white sox are reinsdorf's baby...the bulls is his cash cow.....if you want to know how i knwt hat pm me, i have quite the story of proof.

You'd almost say that the Bulls were his cash bull instead of cow.

:bang

Well its gonna be a long few days before all this speculation is gone, but the one thing I gotta say is....thank god MB isn't taking pointers from Lance Briggs...Mark couldn't be anymore professional about this whole situation.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 01:21 AM)
Wel Javy has been our best pitcher this year so I wouldn't get mad about having him. He's part of a solution, not part of the problem especially at his respectable contract

How can you say Javy's been better than Garland and Buehrle?

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
Wel Javy has been our best pitcher this year so I wouldn't get mad about having him. He's part of a solution, not part of the problem especially at his respectable contract

Yeah, as long as you ignore that guy named Mark Buehrle who has been much better...

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 07:15 PM)
Let's remember we're talking about the same owner that let Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson walk.

Please...Jordan was being paid nearly $30 million dollars by Reinsdorf in his final years. Once MJ left, Phil did not feel like rebuilding. For all the crap people give Reinsdorf, he is the best owner in this town by far and has been for the past 20 years.

While Buerhle has a better era and record, Javy has matching peripheral's with mroe strikeouts. THey have given up the same number of homers in the same number of innings with nearly matching BAA and Walk totals. Simply put: vazquez has been extraordinarily unlucky. Mark's been great no doubt but Javy has had bad luck and terrible run support. His 1.12 whip and 83/23 K-B is outstanding

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 02:10 AM)
While Buerhle has a better era and record, Javy has matching peripheral's with mroe strikeouts. THey have given up the same number of homers in the same number of innings with nearly matching BAA and Walk totals. Simply put: vazquez has been extraordinarily unlucky. Mark's been great no doubt but Javy has had bad luck and terrible run support. His 1.12 whip and 83/23 K-B is outstanding

I swear, Vazquez must get unlucky every year. :P

There's a reason Buehrle is 40 games over .500, and Vazquez is below .500 in his career.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 02:13 AM)
I swear, Vazquez must get unlucky every year. :P

There's a reason Buehrle is 40 games over .500, and Vazquez is below .500 in his career.

Mostly it's between the ears. And I think Vaz is getting better.

Hawk Harrelson ladies and gentlemen! As of last week, Javy had 4 wins blwon for him, tied for 2nd in the game of baseballx fans really underrate this guy and i don't understand why. People lump him in with Contreras as far as underachievers go and they are talking out of their butts when they do so

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:21 PM)
Hawk Harrelson ladies and gentlemen! As of last week, Javy had 4 wins blwon for him, tied for 2nd in the game of baseballx fans really underrate this guy and i don't understand why. People lump him in with Contreras as far as underachievers go and they are talking out of their butts when they do so

Vazquez has a real sweet ERA the past 4 seasons too. He's a star.

I don't mind Vaz; I'm just saying between him and Garland, I'll take Garland.

As for the Count, I will always respect him because people forget: he saved 2005 for us. We would have never made it to the WS or even the playoffs without his 2nd half heroics.

He'll always be a Sox hero in my book.