Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:50 PM)
I dont know if this was posted yet or not, but I don't want to go reading 750+ posts, so here is the link

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/06/b...ay_with_wh.html

It sounds like this is from a "different" "source" so who knows, but I thought it was interesting none the less

That is by far, the best thing I've read all day.

So a member of the front office of a team interested in acquiring Buehrle was turned away by KW because they're working on re-signing him.

of course their talking... hmmm the agent for Buerhle hes been there, sox send assistant to flordia, rumors heating up about what is going on all over chicago specualting about what could happened. This isnt going to die down. So this might be going on for awhile

Quite entertaining watching Buehrle act like he has no clue what's going on during the postgame.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 02:55 AM)
of course their talking... hmmm the agent for Buerhle hes been there, sox send assistant to flordia, rumors heating up about what is going on all over chicago specualting about what could happened. This isnt going to die down. So this might be going on for awhile

It will be resolved within the next 2 days.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 10:50 PM)
I dont know if this was posted yet or not, but I don't want to go reading 750+ posts, so here is the link

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2007/06/b...ay_with_wh.html

It sounds like this is from a "different" "source" so who knows, but I thought it was interesting none the less

I'm not questioning the source at all, but I love how NJ is the one breaking this.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:53 PM)
That is by far, the best thing I've read all day.

So a member of the front office of a team interested in acquiring Buehrle was turned away by KW because they're working on re-signing him.

Kalapse,

A lot of people here, including myself take what you say about the White Sox seriously. You really seem to know what is going on, you might not have a sorce, but you have a great baseball mind. Having said that, are you for the Sox resigning Mark at the proposed deal, or would you rather re-stock the farm by trading him?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:56 PM)
Quite entertaining watching Buehrle act like he has no clue what's going on during the postgame.

It will be resolved within the next 2 days.

That was one of the funniest interviews I have seen by him in a long time. I dont know if he was using the company line or what, but when Mark said that he wants to stay here over St. Louis, that made me smile a little while. I really hope when I go Monday he has a new deal, either way, he will be getting a standing O from me, and hopefully otheres as well.

Edited by SoxPride56

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
Please...Jordan was being paid nearly $30 million dollars by Reinsdorf in his final years. Once MJ left, Phil did not feel like rebuilding. For all the crap people give Reinsdorf, he is the best owner in this town by far and has been for the past 20 years.

OFF TOPIC

Ummmmm, no. Reinsdorf loved his boy Jerry Krause way too much and Krause did not want to give up GM duties to Jackson. Jackson wanted to stay and rebuild but Reinsdorf's loyalty to Krause killed the Bulls.

QUOTE(SoxPride56 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 10:00 PM)
Kalapse,

A lot of people here, including myself take what you say about the White Sox seriously. You really seem to know what is going on, you might not have a sorce, but you have a great baseball mind. Having said that, are you for the Sox resigning Mark at the proposed deal, or would you rather re-stock the farm by trading him?

I'm torn. This team is old and in desperately need of an influx of young talent and it's going to be tough to do that from within considering how weak the Sox' farm system is, especially when it comes to position players. So trading away a player of Buehrle's caliber should help big time in that regard. However it appears KW isn't being offered anywhere near the sort of talent you'd expect to receive in any Buehrle deal, so restocking the farm through a deal involving Mark doesn't look like it would work. The Sox' front office could instead choose to sell off other pieces such as Jose Contreras or even Javier Vazquez both of whom are signed long term and have reportedly caught the eye of a few GMs around baseball. Besides freeing up the money owed to Jose would be a huge asset in free agency. There's also Jermaine who should have some decent trade value if he can get back on the field within the next week or so.

Then there's the financial aspect. I don't buy the 4 year, $50M offer one bit, it just seems like too much of a weak deal for a player of Mark's caliber. He should be looking at 1-2 more years and $20-$40M added on to that. So realistically I'd expect Mark to re-sign for a deal closer to 5 years, $75M. After doing some research this week I had a very tough time finding any starting pitchers who received a 5+ year deal and actually performed consistently well through out the entire length of the deal. Names like Park, Millwood, Colon, Dreifort, Brown and the best comparison of all, Mike Hampton who was actually a year younger than Mark and a better pitcher at the time he signed his 8 year deal with Colorado, he also had the same clean bill of health that Mark has had over the course of his 7 year career. Hampton hasn't pitched in 2 years now and that deal is now considered one of the worst in the history of the game. I just don't see how Buehrle is any different. So the chances of Mark living up to the expectations set upon him by a 5 year deal are pretty slim if history is any indication.

That being said the man is the face of the franchise, a team/community leader and one of the better starting pitchers in the game so it'd be tough to see him go.

If the deal is 5 years and anymore than $70M I'd say let him walk and take the 2 comp picks if you can't find a good enough trade. With the team's financial constraints the way that they are, it's not a great idea to have .30% of your payroll tied up in 2 players (Mark, Paul).

If the deal is as reported today, 4 years, $50-$60M I do that in an absolute heartbeat.

I'll also add that if Mark does end up inking a deal for 5 years and close to $80M I'll be happy to have him back. I personally wouldn't sign him to such a deal if I were the GM but as a fan it would be great to have Mark around for the next 5 years.

Yeah Kalapse about summed it up in his post. The one thing I'd point out though is it's a shame it's come to this. There is NO WAY that is should come to a point where we might be FORCED to trade THE face of the franchise because we did such a lousy job in regards to the talent level in our organization, but you could make the case we've arrived at that station.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:26 PM)
How can you say Javy's been better than Garland and Buehrle?

doesn't matter the pitcher you want to get rid of is contraras. lets get somehtign for him then work on a deal for dye. then next year dump crede and Anderson. Looks good to me.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
I don't like the secrecy and rumors about this Buehrle situation. The White Sox are like part of the family to me and this is driving nuts. I am going into hibernation until we have a solution. Defrost me when it is over. :snow

families lie all the time

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 10:21 PM)
I'm torn. This team is old and in desperately need of an influx of young talent and it's going to be tough to do that from within considering how weak the Sox' farm system is, especially when it comes to position players. So trading away a player of Buehrle's caliber should help big time in that regard. However it appears KW isn't being offered anywhere near the sort of talent you'd expect to receive in any Buehrle deal, so restocking the farm through a deal involving Mark doesn't look like it would work. The Sox' front office could instead choose to sell off other pieces such as Jose Contreras or even Javier Vazquez both of whom are signed long term and have reportedly caught the eye of a few GMs around baseball. Besides freeing up the money owed to Jose would be a huge asset in free agency. There's also Jermaine who should have some decent trade value if he can get back on the field within the next week or so.

Then there's the financial aspect. I don't buy the 4 year, $50M offer one bit, it just seems like too much of a weak deal for a player of Mark's caliber. He should be looking at 1-2 more years and $20-$40M added on to that. So realistically I'd expect Mark to re-sign for a deal closer to 5 years, $75M. After doing some research this week I had a very tough time finding any starting pitchers who received a 5+ year deal and actually performed consistently well through out the entire length of the deal. Names like Park, Millwood, Colon, Dreifort, Brown and the best comparison of all, Mike Hampton who was actually a year younger than Mark and a better pitcher at the time he signed his 8 year deal with Colorado, he also had the same clean bill of health that Mark has had over the course of his 7 year career. Hampton hasn't pitched in 2 years now and that deal is now considered one of the worst in the history of the game. I just don't see how Buehrle is any different. So the chances of Mark living up to the expectations set upon him by a 5 year deal are pretty slim if history is any indication.

That being said the man is the face of the franchise, a team/community leader and one of the better starting pitchers in the game so it'd be tough to see him go.

If the deal is 5 years and anymore than $70M I'd say let him walk and take the 2 comp picks if you can't find a good enough trade. With the team's financial constraints the way that they are, it's not a great idea to have .30% of your payroll tied up in 2 players (Mark, Paul).

If the deal is as reported today, 4 years, $50-$60M I do that in an absolute heartbeat.

I'll also add that if Mark does end up inking a deal for 5 years and close to $80M I'll be happy to have him back. I personally wouldn't sign him to such a deal if I were the GM but as a fan it would be great to have Mark around for the next 5 years.

It would be interesting if the shopped Garland, they would get a lot more for him.

Sox have a weak farm system? Who could tell? By this board I thought it was great.

Thank you! :cheers

It would be really hard to see Mark pitch in any other uniform other then the White Sox. I just cant see it happening, or maybe it is just that I don't want it to happen. But if they do trade Mark, and the players they get back help us win it all again, I would be happy with that as well.

Judging by Mark's inverview on Comcast, I know he would really like to stay with the team, and hopefully something gets done that he can be here, and we can still get younger by trading Jose and/or Javy like you said.

Thanks again for your imput!

If we lose Mark, yes its going to be very tough. But, we all know this is business and if we get trade fix some of our problems then im all for it. Buerhle fixes on problem and thats starter in rotation. But, signing him large contract means will have trouble fixing other problems as well. What will our outfield be next year? Bring back Pods? Bring back Erstad? Who will be right fielder? Will Joe crede be ready for next year? Who will be playing second base? We still going keep Uribe, which I hear everyday that we need get rid of him. Our bullpen, what are you going to do with that? We all know that bullpen has been very big letdown. Another thing bring up if we do sign buerhle to big contract, does that mean no big free agency splashes? There are alot problems other than just resigning Buerhle here. I just hope that somehow it will all work out with Buerhle. If not, then I hope Kenny can pull his magic off like in 2005.

did anyone listen to the pre-game on the score? farmer stated that Buehrle mentioned to him prior to the game that he really wanted 15/y, however he didnt state how many years

so 4/60 instead of 4/50 probably keeps mark on the SS

QUOTE(bmags @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
why does it seem we never get the young talent we'd expect for our stars back? I'd rather just sign him.

You are expecting way too much young talent from a 2.5 month rental.

Anyone complaining that we didn't get enough back for Garcia (likely 2/5 of our rotation by the end of next year), a one-year rental of a guy coming off a mediocre year with decreased velocity and $10 million taken off our books, I thought was silly. That was before he hit the DL for the season. These, I think, are the same people who complain that we couldn't get Carl Crawford for whatever rediculous package of minor leaguers they concocted in their heads.

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 06:21 PM)
Wel Javy has been our best pitcher this year so I wouldn't get mad about having him. He's part of a solution, not part of the problem especially at his respectable contract

Ummm...Garland has been the best pitcher. Buehrle is right there with him.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 12:18 AM)
God damn what a thread.. :o I could only read like 20 pages of it and I can't even read anymore. Ok so what's the deal here?

Nothing to really say.

Sun-Times reported this morning that it looked like Buehrle would sign. Score came out later in the morning and said a deal was done. ESPN Radio later said nothing was going on. Buehrle told Ed Farmer nothing is up. Buehrle's agent said nothing is going on. Meanwhile Sox VP Rick Hahn flew down to Tampa.

So to answer the question deal here is what we had 24 hours ago; rumors.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 01:23 AM)
Nothing to really say.

Sun-Times reported this morning that it looked like Buehrle would sign. Score came out later in the morning and said a deal was done. ESPN Radio later said nothing was going on. Buehrle told Ed Farmer nothing is up. Buehrle's agent said nothing is going on. Meanwhile Sox VP Rick Hahn flew down to Tampa.

So to answer the question deal here is what we had 24 hours ago; rumors.

Thanks Mr. S. :)