Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 12:07 AM)
btw, this thread has over 1,700 posts and over 42,000 views in a week and a half, and it'll only great crazier.

Wow.

A week and a half? Feels like it's been a month. Every start MB makes is "possibly his last." I though being at the game against the Cubs at the Cell was the last one.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 10:04 PM)
Tomorrow everything is gonna hit the fan...

Once all the Chicago Media outlets wake up and get their hands on this story being reported by ESPN... the s*** is gonna hit the fan.

I want a White Sox Winner, and KW to say sorry for being a jag, and resign MB.

113830985_09f377146d.jpg

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)
Even though I'm mad now, I'll be ok with everything if we get good value in return.

We won't. KW will trade him for that no-talent grinder hack Ellsbury, who will make us all wish that Erstad was still around.

KW is a moron.

QUOTE(ROC Sox Fan @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 10:15 PM)
Will Buehrle jerseys cost more or less after he is traded? I want one, but am thinking demand may actually go UP when he is traded instead of them going on the clearance rack.

They always find there way to the clearance rack.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 01:11 AM)
He will be signed.

Denial is a stage of grief.

I choose to be delusional. The Sox are going to trade Mark for a truck load of talent, then Mark will wink and be back next year with a couple extra mil and his NTC. It has to be something like this right? Otherwise, it's just organizational suicide. I know the Sox have holes and need talent, but they also need butts in seats for payroll and organizational integrity to attract free agents.

What a PR disaster. This could rank up there with the white flag trade in fan alienation. If they don't sign him, the whole negations were a charade and they have been playing the fans for fools. Thanks. This sucks. What a horrible season.

Well they b**** about the overpriced free agent market, so we sign no free agents. Then we get a chance to sign an upcoming free agent, top tier pitcher, to a below market deal, and we turn that down too.

Mmmhmm...

My problem is the fact that Ken Williams is just so god damn arrogant and it rubs me the wrong way (and that is coming from me, who can be a pretty arrogant prick).

I like having a cocky GM, but he almost just throws his cockiness on everyone and is always opening his mouth about something or another. Had he just kept his mouth shut a lot more he wouldn't have put himself in this position (but he told us how he was going to out smart the entire baseball world and now he's really putting himself into a hole).

And I usually like his firesome attitude (at least in terms of player personell moves) but after winning the series he is just getting more and more out there and its as if he's trying to one up himself and pull off some miracle of a retooling/rebuilding job.

unless something else comes out, this just seems to me the Sox had zero intention of signing MB. IMO what happened was Sox made one final "run" at him for PR purposes and MB really wanted to stay and tried to work with them on a deal that the Sox never had any intention of going through with.

I have no clue where KW and the Sox are going to go at this point. they're going to pull the whole "free agent contracts are out of control" routine they pulled this year. I'm really left clueless as to what the big picture plan is

This will be one of the biggest slap-in-the-face to the fans during this ownerships regime.

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 01:59 AM)
I was thinking the same thing for awhile... but Mark's been slapped in the face and he should tell the Sox to screw off.

He should. Why would he even want to stay here now. It looks like the negotiations were fake, the team is bad and will get worse, and he can get more money and respect elsewhere. Nice job sox management.

I hope someone comes to their senses and calls Mark to apologize and get him signed. Instead, we will get someone else's over hyped prospect who our system will fail to develop.

BOOOOOO!

if we cant sign afford to take a "chance" on MARK BUEHRLE for 4 years at 56 million dollars... honestly the team should just be renamed the Florida Marlins of Chicago Southport Royals.... or something along those lines.

its honestly ridiculous.... Kenny was willing to risk big money, trade away a solid center fielder and a talented pitching prospect for an injury prone (and untradable DH) Yet Kenny would spend some dough on a durable LEFT HANDED STARTER with a Career record way above .500 and an ERA under 4!

Bull s***

oh and by the way I'm crunk, just so you know. Crunk and pissed.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 02:16 AM)
unless something else comes out, this just seems to me the Sox had zero intention of signing MB. IMO what happened was Sox made one final "run" at him for PR purposes and MB really wanted to stay and tried to work with them on a deal that the Sox never had any intention of going through with.

I have no clue where KW and the Sox are going to go at this point. they're going to pull the whole "free agent contracts are out of control" routine they pulled this year. I'm really left clueless as to what the big picture plan is

This will be one of the biggest slap-in-the-face to the fans during this ownerships regime.

I agree 100%. If the Sox won't accept this offer, this whole dance was a publicity stunt.

MB is very overrated on this site, always has been. He's referred to as "elite" or as an "ace" way too often. It's like people think that we're dealing with Peavy or Santana here. This franchise will survive without MB. You think $14M in today's market is a steal, but would you freak out if they gave Garland $14M? They're the same pitcher. If our payroll drops dramatically next season, which it will, we're not going to compete. Why, if we're not going to compete, would you want $14M of the payroll to go towards one player who pitches once every 5 days. He's never even won 20 games in his career, it's not like every 5th day you're practically guaranteed a victory. He's a good pitcher, no doubt, but far from irreplaceable. No player should be making $14M/yr on a team in its first year of a rebuilding process.

Although I certainly won't shed a tear when he's gone and will be happy when we realize the payroll flexibility his release offers next season, I really don't like the way the Sox handled this. 2 weeks ago KW should have said MB is on the table and any team can have the 72hr negotiation window. It's almost as if KW got caught inbetween on this, like he changed his mind in the middle of negotiations. This is not something a GM should do. He should have a plan and stick with it. Instead of going full bore ahead with the decision to trade MB and get maximum value in return, he instead considered resigning him and went ahead with negotiations. The negotiations start, are made public, potential trade partners get discouraged, the public gets their hopes up. Then KW changes his mind again and decides MB isn't in his plans. So now he's got a pissed off fan base. MB's agent, as a negotiation play, has now declared that MB will hit the FA market, killing his trade value. Just horribly played by KW, I mean absolutely butchered job of managing the situation and his team. You couldn't have scripted a worse scenario. Again, it just really proves that a GM MUST have a plan in place and execute on that plan. He's got a chance to redeem himself and get some value back, but it will now be a VERY difficult task to do so.

Edited to add: For those of you wanting KW gone after this, don't think JR isn't noticing how badly KW handled this. JR is a good business man who understands the importance of strong management. This wishy-washy, non-committal mode of "management" that KW just displayed couldn't have gone unnoticed. This is the type of situation that can cost someone their job. I don't think JR gives a s*** about losing MB, that's not why KW would be canned as many of you imply. He does give a s*** about incompetence.

Edited by mmmmmbeeer

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 07:47 AM)
Edited to add: For those of you wanting KW gone after this, don't think JR isn't noticing how badly KW handled this. JR is a good business man who understands the importance of strong management. This wishy-washy, non-committal mode of "management" that KW just displayed couldn't have gone unnoticed. This is the type of situation that can cost someone their job. I don't think JR gives a s*** about losing MB, that's not why KW would be canned as many of you imply. He does give a s*** about incompetence.

JR is just as responsible for the they way this has been handled as KW. KW has pretty good job security no matter how bad the Sox play this season, or probably the next several.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 11:33 PM)
I swear...if KW and Jerry f*** this up...there is gonna be such a backlash. Why would they risk that? Why would they deal the most valuable piece of the orginization? I know everybody will jump my s*** for saying this...calling me a "non fan" and all...but if they trade Mark...or balk at all of this...it will be a LOOOOONG friggin time before I give a s*** what this team does.

The sox released Frank Thomas the best player in their history. Nothing happened, attendance went up and on paper they were a better team. If you still loved the sox after Thomas why would you blink at the buerhle situtation.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 11:51 PM)
Just watched the 12 Midnight edition of ESPN BBTN. They are saying the Sox refused the alternate offer made by Buerhle's camp for a 17M dollar 5th year type buyout or contract addition if traded. They said it isn't anything different than Ostwalt has with the Astros. The Sox said no and the analysts said Sox managemnt must be crazy. Of course this is a business right. The fans don't matter any because it's just our money after all that keeps these teams in business. This is just plain wrong if true.

agreed but they are betting you keep watching and go to games. I actaully still know some very old friends that have still not gone back to the park after the white flag trade. They feel better knwoing they won't make the Sox wealthy. Try that. Don't go. And for the record I would rather have Oswalt.

Edited by quickman

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 09:06 AM)
The sox released Frank Thomas the best player in their history. Nothing happened, attendance went up and on paper they were a better team. If you still loved the sox after Thomas why would you blink at the buerhle situtation.

I'm one of the biggest Frank fans ever, and I've got to say those two situations are incomparable.

Regardless what Frank has done/will do since leaving the Sox, he's at the end of his career and his skills aren't what they used to be. His ankle was too risky to depend on, despite his two infield singles last night.

On the other hand, Buehrle's no where near the end of his career, and his numbers back that claim up.

Hence, there's definitely plenty of reason to blink at the Buehrle situation, if we don't re-sign him or get an impressive haul in return for trading him.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 07:47 AM)
MB is very overrated on this site, always has been. He's referred to as "elite" or as an "ace" way too often. It's like people think that we're dealing with Peavy or Santana here. This franchise will survive without MB. You think $14M in today's market is a steal, but would you freak out if they gave Garland $14M? They're the same pitcher. If our payroll drops dramatically next season, which it will, we're not going to compete. Why, if we're not going to compete, would you want $14M of the payroll to go towards one player who pitches once every 5 days. He's never even won 20 games in his career, it's not like every 5th day you're practically guaranteed a victory. He's a good pitcher, no doubt, but far from irreplaceable. No player should be making $14M/yr on a team in its first year of a rebuilding process.

Although I certainly won't shed a tear when he's gone and will be happy when we realize the payroll flexibility his release offers next season, I really don't like the way the Sox handled this. 2 weeks ago KW should have said MB is on the table and any team can have the 72hr negotiation window. It's almost as if KW got caught inbetween on this, like he changed his mind in the middle of negotiations. This is not something a GM should do. He should have a plan and stick with it. Instead of going full bore ahead with the decision to trade MB and get maximum value in return, he instead considered resigning him and went ahead with negotiations. The negotiations start, are made public, potential trade partners get discouraged, the public gets their hopes up. Then KW changes his mind again and decides MB isn't in his plans. So now he's got a pissed off fan base. MB's agent, as a negotiation play, has now declared that MB will hit the FA market, killing his trade value. Just horribly played by KW, I mean absolutely butchered job of managing the situation and his team. You couldn't have scripted a worse scenario. Again, it just really proves that a GM MUST have a plan in place and execute on that plan. He's got a chance to redeem himself and get some value back, but it will now be a VERY difficult task to do so.

I like your post very much and would add if the sox were in first or second place right now competing to win the division then they would sign him but now they realize how far away they are, at least in this division and they need to sell off. I would hate for konerko, Beurhle , thome, and vasquez to be half of our payroll. It makes no sense as you get older and slower.

I also think that many teams out there do not view buerhle as a Number 1. That lowers his value as well. There are only a few teams that will pay more than 14 million for this guy and those are the usual suspects, like New York, the red sox, the angels and quite possibly the Cubs. Just my opinon.

The twins will be in the same spot with santanna soon. He is as good as gone, but he is a guy I break the bank for and give the no trade clause.