Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 05:01 PM)
Whether Buehrle is signed or not (ignoring everything within the last 13 pages), I would then expect Garland to be traded. Regardless of Williams labeling him unavailable, we NEED an influx of young talent on this team somehow. Someone with value has to be dealt. Contreras won't be enough.

I disagree with this statement. I think trading Contreras, and maybe Dye/Iguchi/Crede(assuming that they net talent equal to or better the compensative picks the Sox would get if they offered the former two arbitration) would net the Sox a handful of solid(maybe not great) prospects. Furthermore, the Sox actually have a handful of talented prospects ready to contribute at the major league level:

Floyd RHP - Has been dominating the past month plus and appears to have regained the confidence to go along with his stuff. If a starter is traded he is next in line.

Sweeney OF - Has been hitting well since being dominated to AAA and should be ready to take over one outfield spot full time next year.

Richar 2B - Since being added, he is hitting close to .400(with 3 triples) and appears to be a late bloomer(with his impressive tools).

Broadway RHP - I am not that high on Broadway, but he is having a solid season at AAA and appears to be a decent bottom of the rotation starter in the future.

Gonzalez LHP - This is the one guy that has the upside to be a consistent AS caliber player. He is dominating AA and will likely get a shot at a rotation spot next year.

Egbert RHP - Continues to fly under the radar, but has a great GO/FO ratio, doesn't give up HR, has seen his BAA decrease, and SO/IP increase over the past couple of season. Like Gonzalez, he will likely get a shot at a rotation spot next year.

Fields 3B - Currently with the team(obviously), and is showing the skills needed to be an everyday player(assuming that you can live with 150 SO/yr) and make Crede expendable.

As you can see, the Sox do have a handful of talented young prospects ready to make an impact at the major league level. Add a decent SS prospect like Aybar(or something similar) from Anaheim for Crede(Sox might have to add something else), a couple of decent prospects from the Mets for Contreras, and a couple of compensative picks for Dye and Iguchi, and I think the Sox have a solid nucleus of young players to mix with the veterans. Not to mention a very good foundation of starting pitching in their prime or heading towards their prime(Buehrle, Garland, Vazquez, and Danks). With that said, I will wait until Buehrle actually signs an extension before I get too excited.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 11:28 AM)
If they trade Javy, Kenny better get back atleast the value of Chris Young, El Duque and Vizcaino.

And if they trade Javy, they'd better do it after either Mark or Jon signs an extension.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
Levine talked to Buehrle's agent who said no new negotiations have taken place.

One more possible scenario that would make that an accurate statement... Buehrle is revisiting the Sox last offer, which means no "new" talks have indeed taken place. They are just rehashing old talks.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 06:28 PM)

I'd be interested to know when Bruce last talked with Mark's agent. If this morning, then put away the part favors. If a day or two ago, then ....

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)

That's why I hate the Score, they always jump way too soon on information. I trust Levine more than any of the reporters in the town, he honestly has the most sources out of anybody. BTW, the Score is still reporting this...

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 12:25 PM)
Crazy, I'll definitely be believing 1000 until I see something official. 4/50 sounds way to good to be true.

It would sound crazy with most people, but Mark Buehrle is a different type of major leaguer than most. I've heard lots of stories of people that know him or have met him, and he strikes me as the type of guy that wouldn't care to get that extra $2-3 million more a year, as he'd be just as happy with the amount offered. He's a simple guy. I could see him taking a deal for less money, as long as it was for enough years.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:33 PM)
That's why I hate the Score, they always jump way too soon on information. I trust Levine more than any of the reporters in the town, he honestly has the most sources out of anybody. BTW, the Score is still reporting this...

Why would they be running this when the team turned down the info.. what in god's name is going on today?

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 11:32 AM)
I'd be interested to know when Bruce last talked with Mark's agent. If this morning, then put away the part favors. If a day or two ago, then ....

That's exactly what I was wondering.

It doesn't appear that Mark's agent is doing much to artifically jack up his client's value right now, so that's potentially good news.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:32 PM)

It was around noon. He contacted Buehrle's agent only after the Score reported a deal was close to done.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
Why would they be running this when the team turned down the info.. what in god's name is going on today?

The Sox didn't say "there's no deal," they said "there's no official announcement." Basically, like the government saying "we can neither confirm nor deny that" with classified information. If the Score's source(s) are sticking to their guns, then they see no reason not to continue reporting the information they're receiving.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:35 PM)
Even though 4 years, $50 million is nothing for a pitcher of Buehrle's caliber, it is still a s*** load of money and sets him up nicely for the rest of his life. So, maybe Mark is just a great guy and will take a little less to stay here.

There's just no chance the money's that low. It's possible they're talking an extension for 4 years, but if so, the $50 mil is just a mistake.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 06:35 PM)
It was around noon. He contacted Buehrle's agent only after the Score reported a deal was close to done.

That's different then.

Of course, Berry could be playing coy and non-committal. Or Levine misinterpreted the agent's comments.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:37 PM)
There's just no chance the money's that low. It's possible they're talking an extension for 4 years, but if so, the $50 mil is just a mistake.

yeah, its about 5 million less than what he could make per year on the open market, but not all baseball players are greedy snobs, some are just good guys.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 06:37 PM)
The Sox didn't say "there's no deal," they said "there's no official announcement." Basically, like the government saying "we can neither confirm nor deny that" with classified information. If the Score's source(s) are sticking to their guns, then they see no reason not to continue reporting the information they're receiving.

If the Sox knew there was no chance of a deal and nothing imminent, then they would have repeated KW's line that he doesn't negotiate during the season.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 06:39 PM)
yeah, its about 5 million less than what he could make per year on the open market, but not all baseball players are greedy snobs, some are just good guys.

And a four year deal now still gives him a chance, if he wants to, to sign with the Cardinals when he should still have something left in the tank. It's funny, but I was going to say if he'll take 4 yrs, the Sox should be offering 65 to 70 million.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)

Maximizing your value on the free agent market does not make you a greedy snob.