Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:34 PM)
It would sound crazy with most people, but Mark Buehrle is a different type of major leaguer than most. I've heard lots of stories of people that know him or have met him, and he strikes me as the type of guy that wouldn't care to get that extra $2-3 million more a year, as he'd be just as happy with the amount offered. He's a simple guy. I could see him taking a deal for less money, as long as it was for enough years.

Its not just an extra $2-3 million a year. Its at least an extra $5 million a year, and another 2-3 years at that price.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
yeah, its about 5 million less than what he could make per year on the open market, but not all baseball players are greedy snobs, some are just good guys.

It's not about being a greedy snob or a good guy. It's about being f'n insane. He'd still be making a big compromise and leaving a lot of guaranteed money on the table at $60 mil over 4 years. I'd say that's the floor, and that would be Mark being a really good guy.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)
yeah, its about 5 million less than what he could make per year on the open market, but not all baseball players are greedy snobs, some are just good guys.

if I'm Mark, I'd take a good look at the Chicago White Sox of the next 4 years and I'd bolt asap.....and it would have nothing to do with greed.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 11:38 AM)
That's different then.

Of course, Berry could be playing coy and non-committal. Or Levine misinterpreted the agent's comments.

Or maybe he just wants the Chicago Media Machine to shut up for a while. Saying that they're currently talking would just fuel the fire and lead to more incorrect information being thrown around.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 11:39 AM)

Agreed that Mark's a good guy who would likely give the Sox a break, but 4/50 is just insanely low. The MBLPA might get involved if Mark accepted an offer like that.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
if I'm Mark, I'd take a good look at the Chicago White Sox of the next 4 years and I'd bolt asap.....and it would have nothing to do with greed.

Agreed.

ESPN 1000 just quoted Levine again saying "no new negotiations have taken place"

Who will break first???

That right there could be considered a small break by Levine. No new negotiations could mean an offer has been on the table for months and Buehrle has now decided to come to the team and accept it. KW has talked about these sort of senarios before.

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:42 PM)
Or maybe he just wants the Chicago Media Machine to shut up for a while. Saying that they're currently talking would just fuel the fire and lead to more incorrect information being thrown around.

Agreed that Mark's a good guy who would likely give the Sox a break, but 4/50 is just insanely low. The MBLPA might get involved if Mark accepted an offer like that.

You bet your ass they would.

Is Buerhle's agent in Tampa as reported?

If so, did Bruce ask him why he is there and thus explain why this rumor should not be going on?

I think Levine comes off as an egomaniac. He is also very biased toward the cub and would like nothing more than to keep the press away the Sox and focused on the cub.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)

Yep, and there's precedent for it as well (the nixed A-Rod-to-Red Sox deal).

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 11:45 AM)

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)

i understand what you mean, but those are different situations, arod alreayd had a contract and was going to give some of it back, buerhle be signing a completely new contract

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)

If so, did Bruce ask him why he is there and thus explain why this rumor should not be going on?

I think Levine comes off as an egomaniac. He is also very biased toward the cub and would like nothing more than to keep the press away the Sox and focused on the cub.

So Levine is going to make s*** up because he likes the Cubs and put his reputation on the line? Brilliant. :huh:

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)

If they get involved in this and Buerhle blows his elbow out next week who gives him the $50M he turned down?

The Boston deal was A-Rod forfeiting money was it not?

Buerhle is not giving anything away here.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:56 PM)
If they get involved in this and Buerhle blows his elbow out next week who gives him the $50M he turned down?

The Boston deal was A-Rod forfeiting money was it not?

Buerhle is not giving anything away here.

I didn't post the comparison, so you can go debate that with the person that did.

They will step in here because a player of Mark's ability should (and will) get more than $12M a year, and they will not allow the Sox to set the market that low to protect Mark as well as others.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 01:48 PM)

Bruce is going to lie on Mark's agent...? Are you serious?