Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 01:20 PM)
Or you REALLY don't want 30% of your payroll tied up in 2 players over the next 3 years, one of whom is a huge risk to be injured/ineffective some time over the life of the deal and leave you eating $14M+ for a few years. There's a pretty big downside to giving Mark 4+ years and ~$60M guaranteed.

If Konerko, Buehrle and Garland are all still with the Sox in 2009, somewhere around $40M of probably an $85-$95M payroll will locked up in 3 players.

How much of this year's salary is allocatted to the threeand four highest paid players?

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
How much of this year's salary is allocatted to the threeand four highest paid players?

About 5 players are making around $50 million total. Pauly, Mark, Jon, Jose, and Javy.

However, the structure of the payroll this year was premised on the idea that several of our position players would produce at a rate above what their salaries are, such as Dye, Thome, Iguchi, Joe Crede, Erstad, and perhaps Scott Podsednik. Unfortunately, that has not been the case thus far.

Next season, several of those players will be Free Agents and will either command in excess of what we can pay them, or have declined in performance to where they would not be players you would want on your club anyway.

Now we have to find players who are dependable and reasonably compensated, which is always a difficult task, UNLESS you have the pipeline of young players coming through your system. From all experience thus far, we do not.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)
I wouldn't doubt it if they wait to announce it before the next home game.

I would hope that Kenny wouldn't impose a deadline of today and then wait until Monday to announce a signing. That seems a bit too much like torture to a fanbase which has already experienced enough this season.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 02:19 PM)
I would hope that Kenny wouldn't impose a deadline of today and then wait until Monday to announce a signing. That seems a bit too much like torture to a fanbase which has already experienced enough this season.

Maybe Kenny forgot to tell Mark he was under a deadline.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Buehrle said he had lunch with Berry Thursday but said the agent didn't convey a sense of urgency to complete a deal by this weekend.

"Would I like it to?" Buehrle said. "I'm kind of tired of seeing my name out there, but that's going to happen up to the trade deadline (July 31) or until a deal is done. It's going to happen until July 31 or even later."

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 01:39 PM)
Since we're on the subject, I have a 101 question. I was discussing with a friend the another night my frustration with us not being able to capitalize beyond 2005 (remember all the talk of a potential dynasty? Pfft).

How is it that clubs like Boston/NYY or Minny, year after year, are always contenders? Even Detroit--unlike us--doesn't seem to be having the dropoff that we did post-WS.

Is it really just that they have money (or the Twinks have a farm club)?

How come we can never seem to do that? After all, in seven years we've only made it into and beyond the playoffs once.

Poor scouting and player development. All of those teams spend a lot of money in developing talent. The Twins have probably the best minor league scouts in baseball, they are very good at identifying players that they think will blossom and getting them in a trade or via Rule 5. The Red Sox and Tigers spend a lot of money in the amatuer draft and spend extra money to sign amateur players. The Mets spend a lot of money on international scouting, and the Yankees spend money in every category. The White Sox are poor at all of these. The last first round pick we had to become an allstar was in 1989.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 02:23 PM)
Maybe Kenny forgot to tell Mark he was under a deadline.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines

Buehrle said he had lunch with Berry Thursday but said the agent didn't convey a sense of urgency to complete a deal by this weekend.

"Would I like it to?" Buehrle said. "I'm kind of tired of seeing my name out there, but that's going to happen up to the trade deadline (July 31) or until a deal is done. It's going to happen until July 31 or even later."

No, I don't think Kenny did impose that deadline upon Mark, however, he did go ahead and impose it regardless, and the fans know it. He may have done it to try and increase any trade offers he may or may not be getting, who knows.

All I know is he put that out there for the fans to consume, and so any announcement that doesn't happen over the weekend will produce quite a bit of unnecessary angst amongst the fanbase at this point.

So.. Kenny imposed a deadline for Mark to agree to a contract, but didn't tell Mark. I suppose that's as logical as anything else that's been posted on this topic.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 02:34 PM)
Oh gawd waiting until the end of the month Steff?

I can't do it. I just can't!

You can do it.. I have faith. ;)

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 09:07 PM)
update on buerhle

The White Sox have a full house in attendance on a warm summer night for the start of the final homestand before the All-Star break. Coming off a successful road trip to Florida and Kansas City, Mark Buehrle takes the mound to begin this eight-game stretch in Chicago.

But, before Buehrle throws his first pitch, a video montage of his career highlights pops up on the center field Jumbotron and a dramatic announcement follows regarding the White Sox and their ace hurler agreeing to a new long-term deal. Many short-term wishes for the ardent South Side supporters would be immediately fulfilled.

Of course, this above scenario stands as completely and totally steeped in the hypothetical.

When Buehrle was asked on Thursday evening about the reality of the contract talks going on between his agent, Jeff Berry, and White Sox assistant general manager Rick Hahn, talks manager Ozzie Guillen said "sounded great" when he was informed late Wednesday night, Buehrle gave the media the silent treatment with a smile.

"No comment. No comment on any contract situation," said Buehrle, one day after rumors swirled that he was close to agreeing to a four-year deal, worth somewhere in the range of $50 million. "I don't want to say anything and get you guys confused.

"Call Rick. Call Jeff. Call Kenny," Buehrle added.

Berry said via e-mail on Thursday night, "There was nothing new to report." Also reached through e-mail, Hahn reiterated the company policy that unless or until the organization has an announcement of some sort, he "wouldn't expect us to provide any updates or comment."

Hahn returned to Chicago, after flying to Florida on Wednesday, not necessarily indicating if a deal had been reached or both sides had hit another impasse. Speculation has centered on this deal needing to be agreed upon by Friday, or this weekend, at the latest, in order for general manager Ken Williams to move forward with his plans for this underachieving team around the July 31 non-waiver deadline.

But after having lunch with his agent on Thursday, Buehrle said he wasn't aware of any arbitrary deadline.

"I'm kind of tired of seeing my name out there, but that's going to happen until the trade deadline or until a deal is done," Buehrle said. "It's going to happen until July 31 or even later.

"I read somewhere that Kenny said that it had to be done by Friday, but I haven't been told anything. I don't know what that means anyway."

chisox, where is this article from? TIA.

If Kenny did set a deadline, and didn't tell Mark. I'll help Mark pack.

if mark doesnt sign the contract, i dont think that neccessarily means that kenny trades him. if contreras gets a better package, i'd look for contreras to go, and keep mark for the year. weather or not they revisit extension at the end of the year would be doubtful. kenny said he wanted to get the ball rolling on his retooling, not that he wanted to sign or trade..... but it could go either way

QUOTE(Steff @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
So.. Kenny imposed a deadline for Mark to agree to a contract, but didn't tell Mark. I suppose that's as logical as anything else that's been posted on this topic.

You can do it.. I have faith. ;)

chisox, where is this article from? TIA.

If Kenny did set a deadline, and didn't tell Mark. I'll help Mark pack.

Steff, stop taking everything Buehrle says so literally.

He's obviously tried to keep this out of the press since negotiations first started back in Nov/Dec. He's the center of/reason for most of the misinformation regarding the process. He and the agent even were denying any talks had taken place as late as 36 hours ago. Buehrle has been playing with the media, even to the point of joking about retirement. I know I didn't believe any of the statements that said there were no negotiations taking place, why should we believe these?

I don't believe that there's any hard deadline, but it's got to get done as soon as possible so the franchise can move forward with a trade of one of the starters. Buehrle wants to get it done as soon as possible. Kenny wants to get it done as soon as possible. It will get done in the next few days. No packing necessary.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 03:03 PM)
Steff, stop taking everything Buehrle says so literally.

He's obviously tried to keep this out of the press since negotiations first started back in Nov/Dec. He's the center of/reason for most of the misinformation regarding the process. He and the agent even were denying any talks had taken place as late as 36 hours ago. Buehrle has been playing with the media, even to the point of joking about retirement. I know I didn't believe any of the statements that said there were no negotiations taking place, why should we believe these?

I don't believe that there's any hard deadline, but it's got to get done as soon as possible so the franchise can move forward with a trade of one of the starters. Buehrle wants to get it done as soon as possible. Kenny wants to get it done as soon as possible. It will get done in the next few days. No packing necessary.

Is it ok if I take others close to the situation literally?

(RE: red text)

I agree, and since I have yet to see anything stating there was a deadline at all, I'm gonna go with that.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 02:17 PM)
About 5 players are making around $50 million total. Pauly, Mark, Jon, Jose, and Javy.

However, the structure of the payroll this year was premised on the idea that several of our position players would produce at a rate above what their salaries are, such as Dye, Thome, Iguchi, Joe Crede, Erstad, and perhaps Scott Podsednik. Unfortunately, that has not been the case thus far.

Next season, several of those players will be Free Agents and will either command in excess of what we can pay them, or have declined in performance to where they would not be players you would want on your club anyway.

Now we have to find players who are dependable and reasonably compensated, which is always a difficult task, UNLESS you have the pipeline of young players coming through your system. From all experience thus far, we do not.

Thats why I want Eric Byrnes, either as a top of the order guy or betting 5th. Plus hes a good OF'er too, and a Free Agent.

Edited by joeynach

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 01:54 PM)
let me bring up a point say this long term contract affects what we do in offeason... kenny might bring up floyd take buerhle's spot and say sox do long term deal with ichiro

I don't see why Ichiro would want to sign with a declining Sox team. I'm assuming that part of Ichiro's decision to sign with Seattle was the city's large Japanese/Asian population. He won't find that in Chicago, so I don't see what incentive he has to go there unless JR and KW break the bank for him (unlikely).

QUOTE(WCSox @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 04:01 PM)
I don't see why Ichiro would want to sign with a declining Sox team. I'm assuming that part of Ichiro's decision to sign with Seattle was the city's large Japanese/Asian population. He won't find that in Chicago, so I don't see what incentive he has to go there unless JR and KW break the bank for him (unlikely).

it was just a hypothetical.... dont go all crazy on an ichiro debate here, that's been hammered on elsewhere in the forum......

1. The Mariners didn't sign him as a free agent. He was "posted" like Matsuzaka. Ichiro may or may not have signed because of the city, too, but he had no choice, really, except between that of MLB or Japan.

2. He probably wouldn't come to Chicago unless we can prove we will compete to him. He wants a winner.

3. As for money, he really does pay for himself, but I understand the concerns.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 02:07 PM)
1. The Mariners didn't sign him as a free agent. He was "posted" like Matsuzaka. Ichiro may or may not have signed because of the city, too, but he had no choice, really, except between that of MLB or Japan.

I thought that the player knows the team AND amount of the highest bid in the posting system. If that's the case, he would've had plenty of say as to which team he would accept a bid from.