Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(VicRattlehead @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 11:31 PM)
Just by player raises and such. For instance Uribe for one will make more money if the Sox excersize his option.

Well, there are a lot more players leaving who will be replaced with minor league which means a lower payroll. And I hope KW isn't dumb enough to pay someone like Juan 5 million.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The payroll will not go up next season unless the investors decide to dip into their own pockets. Based on an estimate of this year's attendance (which will determine next year's payroll, just as '06 attendance lead to the '07 payroll) I'd say the team payroll for '08 will be in the $85-$90M range with $90M being very likely. That's about a $6M decrease from this season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 04:56 AM)
The payroll will not go up next season unless the investors decide to dip into their own pockets. Based on an estimate of this year's attendance (which will determine next year's payroll, just as '06 attendance lead to the '07 payroll) I'd say the team payroll for '08 will be in the $85-$90M range with $90M being very likely. That's about a $6M decrease from this season.

Why would payroll go down, though? Isn't most of the money already in from this year's season tickets? I know they're going to lose a little bit of money because walk-up sales will be down a bit down the stretch, but enough to shave $5 million off of the payroll?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 29, 2007 -> 11:56 PM)

I hope it's lower than $90M. If it's that high, it means KW will have gone out and signed a bunch of second or third-tier free agents (Rowand, Eckstein, etc.) and potentially given up draft choices. It's better just to play the Knights roster next season rather than do that.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:00 AM)
Why would payroll go down, though? Isn't most of the money already in from this year's season tickets? I know they're going to lose a little bit of money because walk-up sales will be down a bit down the stretch, but enough to shave $5 million off of the payroll?

I don't think Buehrle will re-sign, I believe Contreras will be dealt, I'm starting to think Uribe will be replaced (with who? I do not know) and I don't think Mackowiak or Cintron will be retained. I don't see the Sox going after any high priced free agents and with over $20M saved from departed starters alone I just don't see where all that extra money will go. I think the total payroll will decrease from ~$96M to about $90M with some money available if KW wants to make a move at the break (as the Sox tend to do.)

It's still far to early to be speculating on next year's payroll anyway, anything could happen over the next month or so. If 3-4 new near minimum players are brought in for next season through deadline deals this year, we could see an even lower '08 payroll.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:08 AM)
I hope Buehrle will resign but as each day goes by I am starting to think it won't happen. Gosh I hope I'm wrong on that.

Rumor (courtesy WSI and I saw it posted here as well) has it that Buehrle rejected the Sox last offer & Cowley will report that in tomorrow's Sun-Times. Seems much more likely than Buehrle accepting a 4/60 contract.

Most likely offseason:

Podsednik - Erstad - Rowand: ~$3.25M, $3.25M, ~$6M = $12.5M

Crede - Eckstein - Richar - Konerko - Thome - Pierzynksi: ~$5M, $5M, $400K, $12M, ~$7.6M, $5.5M= $35.5M

Garland - Vazquez - Danks - Floyd - ?: $12M, $11.5M, $400K, $400K, ? = $24.7M - $30M - $38.7M

= $72.7M - $78M - $86.7M

+ ~$4M Bench + ~$4M Bullpen =

$80.7M - $86M - $94.7M

? = $400K (Gio/other rookie), $5.7M (mediocre FA), $14M (Buehrle)

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 05:17 AM)
Most likely offseason:

Crede - Eckstein - Richar - Konerko - Thome - Pierzynksi: ~$5M, $5M, $400K, $12M, ~$7.6M, $5.5M= $35.5M

Garland - Vazquez - Floyd - Gio - ?: $12M, $11.5M, $400K, $400K, ? = $24.7M - $30M - $38.7M

= $72.7M - $78M - $86.7M

+ ~$4M Bench + ~$3.5M Bullpen =

$80.2M - $85.5M - $94.2M

? = $400K (rookie), $5.7M (mediocre FA), $14M (Buehrle)

I assume leaving Danks out of the rotation was an oversight.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 05:24 AM)
I assume leaving Danks out of the rotation was an oversight.

Nope -- I think Kalapse had him getting hit by a comet, making the Sox' 2007-2008 offseason (losing Buehrle, signing Eckstein and Rowand, retaining Erstad and Podsednik) the worst in the history of baseball.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:26 AM)
Nope -- I think Kalapse had him getting hit by a comet, making the Sox' 2007-2008 offseason (losing Buehrle, signing Eckstein and Rowand, retaining Erstad and Podsednik) the worst in the history of baseball.

Makes sense.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 06:17 AM)
Most likely offseason:

Garland - Vazquez - Floyd - Gio - ?: $12M, $11.5M, $400K, $400K, ? = $24.7M - $30M - $38.7M

= $72.7M - $78M - $86.7M

+ ~$4M Bench + ~$4M Bullpen =

$80.7M - $86M - $94.7M

? = $400K (rookie), $5.7M (mediocre FA), $14M (Buehrle)

I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I know you are joking on one hand; however I would not be surprised to see our team resemble that opening day.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:26 AM)

If Buehrle is dealt, my #1 wish is that KW get an MLB ready leadoff man in return so I never have to see Podsednik play again.

You can't tell me that the plan I drew up right there doesn't seem incredibly plausible.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:28 AM)
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. I know you are joking on one hand; however I would not be surprised to see our team resemble that opening day.

I think it's the most likely projection I've seen. Although I think Pods will be gone and Sweeney or Fields will be in LF. And I wouldn't be shocked to see Crede non-tendered.

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:30 AM)
I think it's the most likely projection I've seen. Although I think Pods will be gone and Sweeney or Fields will be in LF. And I wouldn't be shocked to see Crede non-tendered.

So I assume in that scenario Richar takes over leadoff duties? Also, I highly doubt Crede is non-tendered. With World Series Gods Buehrle, Contreras, Dye and Iguchi all being pushed out the door and only 1 being brought back in Rowand, the Sox are going to have to make up for it by handing Crede the 3B job out of ST. I also doubt they want to let him walk without receiving some sort of compensation.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:29 AM)
If Buehrle is dealt, my #1 wish is that KW get an MLB ready leadoff man in return so I never have to see Podsednik play again.

A leadoff man that plays a middle-infield position or CF would be huge. I worry that KW thinks he's already done that with Richar. Likeliest thing is Erstad leading off next season (or Eckstein if he's signed). I really doubt Pods will be back unless he excels the rest of this season.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 12:33 AM)
handing Crede the 3B job out of ST. I also doubt they want to let him walk without receiving some sort of compensation.

That's probably true. Payroll will be low enough they can take the risk & hope Crede plays well enough to be dealt by the deadline.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Ozzie Guillen's only wish on Friday was that the entire Mark Buehrle soap opera would just go away.

The White Sox manager got his wish.

According to a source outside the organization but familiar with the situation, talks between Buehrle and the Sox broke down because the club would not put a no-trade clause into a proposed four-year, $56 million deal.

White Sox starting pitcher Mark Buehrle got a no-decision in his fifth attempt at his 100th victory. He allowed four runs and eight hits while walking one and striking out four in his first start since he criticized A.J. Pierzynski for showing disrespect to backup catcher Toby Hall.

(AP)

The source also told the Sun-Times that general manager Ken Williams wasted no time taking phone calls from both the New York Mets and Los Angeles Dodgers about a possible trade involving the left-handed starter.

Talks briefly opened up again after the Sox' 8-1 loss to the Royals on Friday night but quickly died.

It's anyone's guess if the two sides will reopen negotiations. Williams had set Friday as the cutoff.

It has been one of the more bizarre weeks in Williams' time as GM. It was at this point last weekend that the Sun-Times learned Boston had become the front-runner to acquire Buehrle's services. Not only was that a wake-up call to Buehrle but also to his teammates and other members of the organization, who started working as middle men to get the two sides together.

The Red Sox pulled out of the trade talks by midweek when they were told Buehrle was pulled off the block. On Wednesday, Sox assistant general manager Rick Hahn flew to Tampa, Fla., to sit down with Buehrle's agent, Jeff Berry, for one more try.

Hahn left Thursday morning as the club was waiting for an answer.

It has now gone full circle; no wonder Guillen is drained.

''I don't even care anymore,'' Guillen said. ''I [don't]. If Buehrle signs, good. If he doesn't sign, good luck. I don't know how much they offered. Fifty-six million?

''It's a soap-opera thing. Now I can say that's between the front office and him. When you ask me, I will tell you because it's my job. But it gets to the point where he's here, he's here. He's not? Then we have to call somebody up. We have to find somebody else.''

Guillen said the Buehrle talk had gotten to the point where too many other topics were being ignored.

''I have a couple guys,'' Guillen said. ''It's not fair for me, either, to talk about Buehrle when I also have [free agents Jermaine Dye], [Tadahito] Iguchi, more guys run into the same situation.

''With Buehrle or without Buehrle, this organization is still going on. We'll still continue to play. We might be a worse pitching staff, or better pitching staff, but we got to move on. But we're not going to see him every day, ask Buehrle, 'Are they going to sign you?' and get excited.''

So why were so many people fighting for this, doing all they could to keep the southpaw in the organization he grew up in?

''I think it just says something about the guy,'' first baseman Paul Konerko said of Buehrle. ''There's a lot of people taking up for him because they want him around. No one wants to see him go anywhere, none of us do.

''If you own a team ... you get to run it the way you want to run it. We're just all kind of crossing our fingers that somehow, one way or the other, it collides to where what's best for the team fits him into it.''

What a joke. 4 years $56M is a god damn steal and they f*** it all up by not giving him the NTC, give me a f***ing break. I wouldn't even have been all that upset if it came out that the sticking point was the 5th year or Buehrle was looking for $70M+ but a NTC? How pathetic.

Well, the White Sox Organization will pay dearly for this one.

QUOTE(chisox2334 @ Jun 30, 2007 -> 01:24 AM)
According to a source outside the organization but familiar with the situation, talks between Buehrle and the Sox broke down because the club would not put a no-trade clause into a proposed four-year, $56 million deal.

How the hell did I know that was gonna f*** alot of things up?

KW better come away from this thing with Kershaw from LA or Gomez/Martinez from NY as the center points of any deals. At times i just hate the way this organization is run.

Even then I'll still be pissed and I'm probably one of the most forgiving Sox fans out there when it came to this situation, I was willing to let him go without being upset. The one way the could f*** it up in my eyes was with the NTC and what do you know.

Im just going say this short and to point I don't believe the sticking point was the no trade and trust me I believe it's not. I think it's money and years. Something that easy to do just dosen't fit well. Cowely has been reported alot stuff lately. First almost deal with Boston= not true. White sox Resigning Buerhle= False, never happened in past three days. Now he goes and says sticking point is no trade clause= I could only imagine the bs from this. I think it's money and years. I believe we all will find out in offeseason.