Buehrle Fest

DBAHO

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
All this from Dwight Shrute :lolhitting

While on the subject Michael Scott = Kenny Williams in boosing morale?

I hate to see it go there, but empty seats in 2008 are ugly. And then KW threatens to punish us by trading away our remaining "talent" unless we start showing up.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 08:25 PM)
Thats what she said!

:D

LOL, you guys are all over it.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 8, 2007 -> 02:27 AM)
Fathom this is the same owner and GM that brought you the world series. The same principals applied then as they do now. The very best way to speak to the owner is not to go to the park. They are counting on you to go. Don't go and don't watch, otherwise the whitesox are run the exact same way as they were two years ago. In fact I am sure KW and JR are kicking themselves at signing konerko. Right now he is worthless. They won't make that mistake again.

They got my money all day yesterday, and they should be f***ing ashamed of themselves. KW basically lucked into the 2005 offseason.....hell, he traded Carlos Lee for Barbaro.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
The problem is that you never trade quality starting pitching, because you will never get the value back in a trade. Look at the best teams in the league every year, there is one thing in common, top notch starting pitching. That is not a coincidence.

Hitter are easier to find (unless you sign a bunch of injury plagued grinders), good pitchers are not falling off trees. Especially since KW likes to get hard throwers, not pitchers.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)
They got my money all day yesterday, and they should be f***ing ashamed of themselves. KW basically lucked into the 2005 offseason.....hell, he traded Carlos Lee for Barbaro.

Yep, the 2005 team wasn't lucky but the fact KW built a team that good for 1 year was TOTAL luck. He's proven overall to be a horrid GM.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:26 PM)
The problem is that you never trade quality starting pitching, because you will never get the value back in a trade. Look at the best teams in the league every year, there is one thing in common, top notch starting pitching. That is not a coincidence.

agreed, but we are not in contention and won't be for a few years. We are old and slow. We have nobody in the minors, and are far from competing in this division. Therefore you rebuild, and if you believe you cannot contend next year or even the year after then you start getting players back. YOU SELL. That is what they really want to do. They will tell the public different, because they want to sell tickets but you should be smarter than that. They have the fourth highest payroll in the A league and they are horrible. YOU SELL. You rebuild, and now is the time because alot of contracts are coming up.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:17 PM)
If it's true the Sox declined that extra year option if he was traded, then they obviously don't want him on the team for the next four years.

I'm baffled why the Sox are doing this. I can see two possibilities:

1) The Sox think they will sign a top-line free agent this offseason and they need the payroll flexibility to do it.

2) The Sox think their scouting is so good that they can find a cheap starter comparable to Buehrle easily. They may feel they already have that and that a rotation of Garland-Vazquez-Danks-Gonzalez-Floyd will be playoff caliber.

In either case, I think they are delusional. They may pursue a free agent, but in the end they won't have the spine to pony up market price. Second, their scouting blows and that rotation would as well. So to sum up, I think the Sox are overestimating their own abilities in deciding they can do better than Buehrle. That's not good -- a man has to know his limitations.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
In fact I am sure KW and JR are kicking themselves at signing konerko. Right now he is worthless. They won't make that mistake again.

LMAO!!! Do you watch our games? Paulie is on fire, now at .263/.360/.495, and his OBP and SLG are both back to his career norms. He's on pace to set a career high for walks and have at 30 plus doubles (maybe set a new career high in that) and still on pace to hit about 30 homers (and climbing by the day). And he has had NO lineup protection behind him all season. Pass the crack over here, please.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:34 PM)
LMAO!!! Do you watch our games? Paulie is on fire, now at .263/.360/.495, and his OBP and SLG are both back to his career norms. He's on pace to set a career high for walks and have at 30 plus doubles (maybe set a new career high in that) and still on pace to hit about 30 homers (and climbing by the day). And he has had NO lineup protection behind him all season. Pass the crack over here, please.

Yeah, but they could have saved a ton of money by putting Ross Gload at 1B in 2006.

hmmm, i read that like it was supposed to be sarcastic. Maybe i looked at it wrong

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:29 PM)

I have given them 15k this year and they have easily gotten a quarter million from me over the last 10 years. Do you think I am not aware of what this team does? Do you also think I care whether beurhle gets 15 wins and we end up in fourth place. I could care less about buehrle or any other damn stat these millionaries make. I do care if this team plays hard, competes, and are in it all summer. right now I really don't care who is traded. Get some new blood.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:27 PM)
It's pretty sad when a big market team can't sign a pitcher to a massive discount.

The Sox are not a big market team. They are afraid to play the same game the big teams do (dealing with Boras, paying out overslot money for picks, pursuing big-name free agents).

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:36 PM)
hmmm, i read that like it was supposed to be sarcastic. Maybe i looked at it wrong

Well he's refering to a signing where we "bent our rules", Paulie was bad for a while this year, and he keeps saying "sell, sell, sell" so I can't tell. Needs to use some green if he's being sarcastic and it's not obvious.

I am sure your on crack. He is not worth the money.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 08:31 PM)
agreed, but we are not in contention and won't be for a few years. We are old and slow. We have nobody in the minors, and are far from competing in this division. Therefore you rebuild, and if you believe you cannot contend next year or even the year after then you start getting players back. YOU SELL. That is what they really want to do. They will tell the public different, because they want to sell tickets but you should be smarter than that. They have the fourth highest payroll in the A league and they are horrible. YOU SELL. You rebuild, and now is the time because alot of contracts are coming up.

You are correct, but that $100 million just needs to be used more effectively.

Contreras

Dye

Crede

Iguchi

Mackowiak

Cintron

MacDougal

Ozuna

Podsednik

Erstad

These guys take up around $35 million in the payroll, and would take up more in 2008 if they are on the team. That is over 1/3 of the payroll. Based on salary and production, Buehrle is a great deal.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
Well he's refering to a signing where we "bent our rules", Paulie was bad for a while this year, and he keeps saying "sell, sell, sell" so I can't tell. Needs to use some green if he's being sarcastic and it's not obvious.

Actually I don't think Konerko was worth the money. I'm not talking about bending rules. I think they signed him coming off a big year with lots of Euphoria. I am not his biggest fan, but regardless we have him, I just don't think they really wanted to sign him either. My point was I think they gave in, especially coming off the World series year. If it were this year I think they would try to move him and not resign him which is what they are doing with buerhle.Just my opinion.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)

Actually I don't think Konerko was worth the money. I'm not talking about bending rules. I think they signed him coming off a big year with lots of Euphoria. I am not his biggest fan, but regardless we have him, I just don't think they really wanted to sign him either. My point was I think they gave in, especially coming off the World series year. If it were this year I think they would try to move him and not resign him which is what they are doing with buerhle.Just my opinion.

I don't get your point......Konerko had a really good year last year and is now on his way to have a really good year again this year. Buehrle is 28 and has a 3 even ERA at the all star break. Our problem isn't paying really good players a lot, our problem is we have a ton of payroll spent on useless crap. To say Konerko has been a bum this year.....wow.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2007 -> 09:48 PM)
Even though I'm mad now, I'll be ok with everything if we get good value in return.

So would I, but we won't.