Andy Gonzalez: SuperSub or Superman?

Heads22

Notes: Gonzalez may now learn first

Utility player may have another position on deck

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

Utility man, Andy Gonzalez, may learn to play first base in the offseason. (Nam Y. Huh/AP)

ST. PETERSBURG -- During Tuesday night's postgame talk with the media, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen mentioned his idea to have Andy Gonzalez play first base during this upcoming offseason in winter ball. It would make the young utility player a more valuable commodity than he already has started to become.

Gonzalez, 26, came up through the White Sox system as an infielder and could figure into the team's 2008 lineup up the middle, depending on the organization's contractual decisions made with second baseman Tadahito Iguchi and shortstop Juan Uribe. But, Gonzalez seems perfectly comfortable in his latest incarnation as an outfielder, starting the last two games of the Devil Rays' series in center field.

For Gonzalez, 26, learning the nuances of the region stands out as his biggest challenge.

"It's all about knowing the runners, the situation of the game, and where I have to throw the ball," Gonzalez said. "Catching the ball and running for the ball, that's easy. It's about the situation, whether to throw to third or home plate. Basically, I'm trying to hit the cutoff man."

The instincts for playing the infield don't differ much from those needed to play the outfield, according to Gonzalez. On the infield, Gonzalez believes quickness stands out as the biggest difference.

"But it's all about knowing the game and really know what's going, the situation of the game," Gonzalez said.

Knocking out five hits and driving in five runs during the first two games of this series hasn't exactly hurt Gonzalez's cause to remain as an everyday player.

"If he continues playing the way he is, and I'm not talking about hits, but giving me good at-bats, he's going to keep himself in the lineup," Guillen said.

Permission to leave: Jose Contreras has heard the rumors of the New York Mets' potential interest in acquiring his mound services, reuniting him with former White Sox teammate and fellow Cuban Orlando "El Duque" Hernandez. Although he has a no-trade clause in the second year of his three-year, $29 million deal, Contreras said he would waive it if asked.

"If [the White Sox] came to me and say they want to trade me, that means they want to get rid of you," said Contreras through translator and bench coach Joey Cora. "So, I would just waive it. But again, I really want to be here."

Contreras was acquired by the White Sox from the Yankees in exchange for Esteban Loaiza at the 2004 non-waiver trade deadline and has been an integral part of the White Sox rotation for parts of the past four seasons. But with contractual control over the right-hander at $10 million per each of the next two seasons, Contreras could be a more attractive option for teams than a possible rent-a-player.

"I've heard rumors and stuff, but there's nothing I can do about it," said Contreras, who has a 5-8 record and 4.63 ERA this season. "If I get traded to the Mets, they're a great team. But I really, really don't want to go anywhere."

The waiting game: Guillen continues to point toward the series in Kansas City this weekend as the target date for Jermaine Dye's return in right field. Dye, battling a strained right quadriceps, has been inactive the last five games.

"I'm going to do some light running [Wednesday] and see how it feels," said Dye, who still wasn't completely sure as to what was going on with his injury situation.

Dye started hitting on Tuesday, but was still waiting for the cortisone shot he had on Sunday to take effect. If Dye is not healthy enough to play this weekend, then a trip to the disabled list would be the only remaining option.

"We've been lucky we didn't need him the past couple games," Guillen said. "I don't like to play with one guy less in the lineup."

Happiness don't cost a thing: Mark Buehrle's highly publicized contract talks led Guillen to wax philosophically on the topic of money vs. joy.

"I see a lot of rich people who are miserable. I see a lot of poor people around me who are happy to be poor," Guillen said. "It happened in my country and happened to my family. I hang around with a lot of people, and rich people are all miserable and the poor people are all happy. I see a lot of poor people who have a smile and bring their kids to school and have a happy life.

"That's what life is all about -- be happy. Sometimes people push you into things you don't want to do, and all of a sudden you will regret it. I think money doesn't make happiness. It makes you smile and your life a little bit better."

Around the horn: With reliever Dewon Day eligible to come off the disabled list Sunday in Kansas City, Guillen said the White Sox will watch the right-hander throw on the side and then make a decision on what to do with him. "I like the way he throws when he's healthy, I do," Guillen said. White Sox starting pitchers rank fourth in the American League with a 4.00 ERA and tied for fourth with Boston at 40 quality starts.

Down on the farm: Gavin Floyd was named to the International League All-Star team, posting a 6-3 record and 3.07 ERA. Floyd has a 5-0 mark with a 2.16 ERA and 44 strikeouts in 50 innings covering his last seven starts. Floyd earned the victory for Triple-A Charlotte on Tuesday, allowing one run on four hits in seven innings, during a 4-1 win over Syracuse. ... Gio Gonzalez, acquired along with Floyd from Philadelphia as part of the Freddy Garcia deal, raised his overall mark to 6-3 during Double-A Birmingham's, 5-1, victory over Jacksonville. Gonzalez struck out five and yielded one run in six innings. Thomas Collaro doubled and picked up his 55th RBI in the contest.

On deck: Javier Vazquez (3-5, 4.15) takes the mound for the 15th time this season in Thursday's series finale at the Tropicana Dome. Vazquez has a 1-5 record and 4.30 ERA in his last 10 starts.

Well at least Jose has turned this s***ty baseball day into a pretty good one with this.

Around the horn: With reliever Dewon Day eligible to come off the disabled list Sunday in Kansas City, Guillen said the White Sox will watch the right-hander throw on the side and then make a decision on what to do with him. "I like the way he throws when he's healthy, I do," Guillen said. White Sox starting pitchers rank fourth in the American League with a 4.00 ERA and tied for fourth with Boston at 40 quality starts.

Doesn't this little blurb seem a bit out of place?

Jose says that, but in all honesty, he knows he wants to be on a non-suck team... I love you Jose, but you need to be traded ASAP and Gavin called up.

oh great... looks like Gonzalez is gonna stay in the lineup for good now. I predict he finishes the year up at around .195.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:01 PM)
Contreras is such a class act. I'm sure KW wouldn't trade him to a place he knows he wouldn't want to go to.

Thats why I think New York is the only logical destination. Maybe to Arizona since Livian Hernandez is there.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 28, 2007 -> 02:06 AM)
Thats why I think New York is the only logical destination. Maybe to Arizona since Livian Hernandez is there.

I've thought Seattle could be a place for him. Not sure if they're friends or not, but they have Bettancourt.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Should be no surprise Contreras would wave his no trade. He waived one to come to the White Sox, saying the same thing. I may be the only one on this site that hopes the Sox keep him.

I like Contreras too, but if somebody offers a reasonable package for him, I'd consider trading him.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 09:20 PM)
Should be no surprise Contreras would wave his no trade. He waived one to come to the White Sox, saying the same thing. I may be the only one on this site that hopes the Sox keep him.

I hope the Sox can find a way to keep him.

We all love Jose and we would love to see him stay, because of what a great guy and class act he is, but this is a business, and keeping 50 year old Contreras along with his 20 million over the next two years is just not possible.

Hey, if we could re-work Contreras' contract and stick him in the pen, I'd keep him. But I doubt that would happen.

I'm not even sure if Pablo is signed through next year or not, but Andy strikes me as the next Pablo Ozuna on our roster, in terms of if things are going well (which for sure they aren't this year of course). Either way, he'll be taking Cintron, Mackowiak, or Ozuna's roster spot next year.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Eh, I am starting to warm up to Andy Gonzalez to be honest. Looking at his minor league numbers, with some more development as a hitter, in about 200 or so part time AB's, I could see him posting an average of about .240-.250, a .700 OPS, 20 BB/50 K, 3-4 HR, 25-30 RBI, and 4 or 5 swipes. Plus, he looks as if he can play decent D at all the positions, and he has a strong arm with decent speed. Looks like he could play any 7 of the positions for whenever the moment calls for it. I'd not only have work at 1B in winter ball however, I'd have him catch every once in as well. Could be our emergency catcher as well, probably could throw out more base stealers then AJP after all.

Edited by BearSox

If Contreras is to be traded, I hope there is enough rumors so that the fans can give him a big ovation. He put the Sox on his back the 2nd half of 2005. I'll always be grateful to Jose. Trading him may be what's best for the Sox. I think saying stuff like don't let the door hit you in the ass or dump him is low class.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Jun 27, 2007 -> 08:55 PM)
Jose says that, but in all honesty, he knows he wants to be on a non-suck team... I love you Jose, but you need to be traded ASAP and Gavin called up.

oh great... looks like Gonzalez is gonna stay in the lineup for good now. I predict he finishes the year up at around .195.

I agree with you about Gonzalez. He was hitting .180 until he saw some Tampa pitching. As far as a Contreras/Floyd switch, be careful what you wish for.

I understand the willingness to trade Contreras now, but don't think Gavin is going to step in and deliver. I think that definitely creates a void that needs to be filled.

New York makes sense, since Jose's old buddy is there....

I will always be a fan of Jose. He delivered for us on so many occasions over the past two years. If he is traded, best of luck to him.

-Contreras has been a class act since acquired by the White Sox. He was really one of the feel-good stories of 2005 and my predicition of "As Contreras goes, so go the White Sox in 2005," proved quite prophetic.

-If Gonzalez continues his offensive production at this clip, he deserves a shot for the Cintron-utility next year. If he comes back down to Earth, stick with Cintron and the proven commodity in 2008.