Konerko hurt?

southsider2k5

Did anyone else hear that he hurt his shoulder this weekend? If so this could be the perfect opportunity to DL him for 15 days, give him some time to get away from it all, and then send him to AAA to "rehab". It might be a blessing in disguise if it is true. Plus we could have the chance to bring up a hot bat like Gload or Miles for a couple of weeks.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else hear that he hurt his shoulder this weekend?  If so this could be the perfect opportunity to DL him for 15 days, give him some time to get away from it all, and then send him to AAA to "rehab".  It might be a blessing in disguise if it is true.  Plus we could have the chance to bring up a hot bat like Gload or Miles for a couple of weeks.

His shoulder? I didn't hear that. I'm clear out in CA, though, so I don't hear nearly as much as some of you in Chicago do. There was a play on Saturday, I think, when he ran over toward the crowd for a foul ball, and he kind of tripped and fell into the wall. Looked like he may have injured his lower body on that play, but he stayed in the game.

What are the Sox gonna do with PK? :huh:

This was in the Trib today

Here's how bad it's going for Paul Konerko.

While chasing a Sammy Sosa foul pop in the first inning Saturday, he tripped over a security guard and slammed into a railing near first base.

"I didn't know I had to call him off," he joked.

Konerko played the rest of the game, but his left shoulder stiffened overnight to the point where he couldn't swing Sunday.

"I don't think there's any damage to it," he said. "I just kind of jammed it."

Konerko went 0-for-3 Saturday to extend his hitless slide to 15 at-bats. He has not recorded an extra-base hit since May 21 and is batting .127 in his last 27 games.

Despite all that, a determined Konerko remains confident that his season of misery will end in joy.

"This [stinks]," he said. "It ain't fun. But I know we have a half-season left and I'm going to get this right.

"Am I going to wind up with a season I envisioned before it started? Probably not. But I don't care about that. I just want to be a piece of the puzzle. I want to help. And I will. I'm going to get this turned around."

Konerko believes a mechanical flaw was the root of his early-season struggles. Now he's striving for better timing at the plate, no easy task considering he has started just three of the Sox's last 12 games.

"Whatever [playing time] they give me, I'll make the best of it," he said.

Konerko said the only numbers that concern him are wins and losses.

"I don't care what it says on the back of my baseball card in 10 years," he said. "I just want to do something productive to help the team.

"Up until this season, the worst I had swung was in 2000—and that's the most fun I've ever had. So what does that tell you? If we can win this division and I have a terrible year, it will be worth it. But I will get hits to help this team, that's it."

While chasing a Sammy Sosa foul pop in the first inning Saturday, he tripped over a security guard and slammed into a railing near first base.

Konerko played the rest of the game, but his left shoulder stiffened overnight to the point where he couldn't swing Sunday.

Konerko went 0-for-3 Saturday to extend his hitless slide to 15 at-bats. He has not recorded an extra-base hit since May 21 and is batting .127 in his last 27 games.

Despite all that, a determined Konerko remains confident that his season of misery will end in joy.

"This [stinks]," he said. "It ain't fun. But I know we have a half-season left and I'm going to get this right.

"Am I going to wind up with a season I envisioned before it started? Probably not. But I don't care about that. I just want to be a piece of the puzzle. I want to help. And I will. I'm going to get this turned around."

Konerko believes a mechanical flaw was the root of his early-season struggles. Now he's striving for better timing at the plate, no easy task considering he has started just three of the Sox's last 12 games.

"I don't care what it says on the back of my baseball card in 10 years," he said. "I just want to do something productive to help the team.

"Up until this season, the worst I had swung was in 2000—and that's the most fun I've ever had. So what does that tell you? If we can win this division and I have a terrible year, it will be worth it. But I will get hits to help this team, that's it."

Hmmm...so it was on that play. Interesting.

Well, sounds like PK is saying all the right things. I really hope he gets this turned around -- he seems to be trying his hardest, and that's probably what's hurting him the most right now. He's pressing, and that's not going to help. I agree with southsider -- if he's hurtin', he should go on the DL, and we can get a hot bat up here for a while. Someone like Miles can add not only the hot bat, but some speed and intensity. You can never have too much intensity on a team.

Guest hotsoxchick1

geez us just send his broken down ass packing already and get us someone who can actually contribute to the team.... im sick of his sorry assed excuses.. he cant run anyhow healthy or not..cut our losses and move on..........he sure aint worth that heafty contract he just got........

aint that the truth...........geez........ :huh:  ;)

What got up you girls' asses? Why the hostility? You taking all your frustrations of Jiminez out on Paulie now?

The guy is trying. He isn't b****ing about playing time.

You can't tell me that if he gets it together, that he could not help this time in a big way. As Sox fans, I figured you'd be rooting for the guy.

What got up you girls' asses?  Why the hostility?  You taking all your frustrations of Jiminez out on Paulie now?

The guy is trying.  He isn't b****ing about playing time. 

You can't tell me that if he gets it together, that he could not help this time in a big way.  As Sox fans, I figured you'd be rooting for the guy.

Hostility..?? Didja not see the "LOL" at the start of my post, Rex?

Paul and his lies don't upset me at all. He's the one that has to look at that face in the mirror each day.

Guest hotsoxchick1
What got up you girls' asses?  Why the hostility?  You taking all your frustrations of Jiminez out on Paulie now?

You can't tell me that if he gets it together, that he could not help this time in a big way.  As Sox fans, I figured you'd be rooting for the guy.

nothing hostile about it rex.. just the truth would be nice for a change.. this org... is full of s*** when it comes to reporting info to the fans... thats just not right...........

Guest hotsoxchick1

oh and as for super dumbass jimenez.. i have always been ranking on him... he sucks... never changed my mind on that one......... ;)

I must have my wrong glasses on again because I'm not able to read between the lines ...

What exactly is Konerko not telling the truth about, or what are the Sox not saying about Konerko?

Seems to me his problem is more mental than physical. He's always had a tough time mentally when he's struggled in the past.

But do I sense there's more to this whole thing?

HSC he just sucks because of your infatuation with Miles.

it doesn't make a difference what Jimenez does, you will rip on him, so stop the bulls***. you're very biased when it comes to that.

as far as Konerko. placing him on the DL wouldn't be a bad thing. I think one better would be to simply send him to the minors for 2-3 weeks, bring up Miles so we can finally see what he can do, and then when Konerko is ready, go from there.

I must have my wrong glasses on again because I'm not able to read between the lines ...

What exactly is Konerko not telling the truth about, or what are the Sox not saying about Konerko?

Seems to me his problem is more mental than physical.  He's always had a tough time mentally when he's struggled in the past.

There are several threads with the details of Paul's real injury.

nothing hostile about it rex.. just the truth would be nice for a change.. this org... is full of s*** when it comes to reporting info to the fans... thats just not right...........

geez us just send his broken down ass packing already and get us someone who can actually contribute to the team.... im sick of his sorry assed excuses.. he cant run anyhow healthy or not..cut our losses and move on..........he sure aint worth that heafty contract he just got........

Sorry babe, sounds like there is hostility in there to me, and no LOL.

So what's with the lies? What is he lying about?

Guest hotsoxchick1
HSC he just sucks because of your infatuation with Miles.

it doesn't make a difference what Jimenez does, you will rip on him, so stop the bulls***. you're very biased when it comes to that.

as far as Konerko.  placing him on the DL wouldn't be a bad thing.  I think one better would be to simply send him to the minors for 2-3 weeks, bring up Miles so we can finally see what he can do, and then when Konerko is ready, go from there.

:fyou malto at least i dont change my mind each and every day with one good outing.....i have always hated jimenez from day one and im not afraid of showing it........he sucks.. hes a lazy piece of over paid s*** whos not doing s*** here.. i dont care what he did the first month, and i ripped him then..... he aint doing it now ill continue to rip on him till hes gone... miles should have had the job out of spring training.. even manuel wanted him up here... theres a reason for that.. he was the better guy for the job.......

Guest hotsoxchick1

Sorry babe, sounds like there is hostility in there to me, and no LOL.

So what's with the lies? What is he lying about?

no hostility just plain ol facts.. hes not performing ... hes hurt.. and not only the shoulder, he cant run..ect.ect.. what did i put in there that isnt fact already??.. he needs to come clean and just get it over with........instead he plays this charade .............hes lying about the injury and the extent of it...........im sure you have read it numerous times on here what the real problem is......... ;)

Seems to me his problem is more mental than physical.  He's always had a tough time mentally when he's struggled in the past.

Well I have seen things posted about a "degenerative hip condition" but that makes no sense, so unless you can shed some light here, then I am not buying it.

If Paul's hip is so bad that fans would know about it, then the White Sox would have to know as well. And I don't buy for a minute that the Sox are going to allow a guy hitting .180something to take up a roster spot if he is indeed injured. That would be the dumbest thing a club could do when they have been struggling as they have.

It just doesn't add up Steff, so shed soem light on this for me, will ya?

lol, I knew I was getting that response.

I didn't say you have jumped off and on Jimenez's bandwagon, but the fact is whether he does good or bad, you rip on him. he can go 3-4 and you'll complain about him for something.

I'm not saying to like him. it is cool that you stick to your guns. I stick to my guns when I say I'm not a fan of Valentin, but what he's done this past week offensively has been great and I give him props on that.

Jimenez was the best hitter on the team at one point and our only source of offense, yet you still hated him.

you can hate him, but don't fail to see any upside or the productive stuff he has done. that is all I'm saying. Miles vs Jimenez. I pick Jimenez, but I could see why a lot would want Miles. if Miles comes up, even though I don't think he can make it long term, I'm not gonna hope he fails and jump on him when/if he does.

Guest hotsoxchick1
Jimenez was the best hitter on the team at one point and only source of offense for us, yet you still hated him.
.. was being your key word there.... malto.. just remember what you guys crusified me for on olivo...... ;) and now everyone is standing in line to lick his ass.........remember who told ya so??????lol..... i rest my case...... :D :headbang

Well I have seen things posted about a "degenerative hip condition" but that makes no sense, so unless you can shed some light here, then I am not buying it.

If Paul's hip is so bad that fans would know about it, then the White Sox would have to know as well. And I don't buy for a minute that the Sox are going to allow a guy hitting .180something to take up a roster spot if he is indeed injured. That would be the dumbest thing a club could do when they have been struggling as they have.

It just doesn't add up Steff, so shed soem light on this for me, will ya?

Guess this "fan" just knows the right people.

Paul has been getting shots in his hip since the morning of May 5th. Believe me, or don't. But before you buy the BS about his shoulder being sore, watch the replay of that play and you'll see there's no way he injured his shoulder there.

Guest hotsoxchick1
I never crusified anyone on Olivo.

his arm was great and his maturity and determination to learn is outstanding for a catcher his age.

I never had a beef with Olivo.

oh yee have such a small memory bank..........think back to when he was a no one on the trip a team.. hell back to the double a team and remember what everyone said........... ;) oh no way he will ever be up here.. oh no way he will ever hit anything at the major level.. oh no way can he be as fast as you say.. .oh no way can he hit like you say..... lol shall i go on????? refreshing anything now???? lol.... ;)